Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are positive, which of the following must be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 14:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:14) correct 41% (01:31) wrong based on 146 sessions
If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?

1. \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2x}

2. \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{x+y}

3. \frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{x+y}

(A) None
(B) 1 only
(C) 2 only
(D) 1 and 3 only
(E) 2 and 3 only

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: if-x-and-y-are-positive-which-of-the-following-must-be-85276.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Aug 2012, 01:40, edited 5 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
For this question, one way is plugging in number. Another way is making use of some rules of inequalities of fractions:
for a, b, c, and d >0
for two fraction: a/b and c/d
if ad> bc, a/b> c/d and vice versa.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: number property [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2006, 06:10
ns wrote:
Please explain how do we solve this question. Also are there any number properties that helps solve this question quicker?

Thanks

Note: Edited: Answer is (C) i.e. II. I had 2 windows open so mistook C to B (though I identified II as the answer).

1/sqrt(x+y)) is same as sqrt(x+y)/(x+y)

from properties, we know that if x,y > 0 then sqrt(x+y) < sqrt(x)+sqrt(y) (try plugging - rt(16)+rt(9) = 7 is more than rt(16+9) = 5)

then, II is definitely 'in' => answer can be C, E (A is ruled out because II is B is possible)

Now beginning elimination, E is ruled out as we are subtracting therefore reducing the numerator, and if Y is > X this would become -ve and we cannot say with certainty.

The answer can only be (B) i.e. II.

(Though the one angle that worries me a bit of the sign of the resultant operations...)

What is the OA?

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: number property [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 13:56
Not sure about alternative methods, but plugging in numbers works relatively quickly. If you use 1 for x & y (only restriction is that they must be positive), none of the 3 options is greater than the query. While one is equal to the query, we're only asked to demonstrate that the option(s) must (ie always) be greater. So, none.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Wharton
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: number property [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 16:48
Plug in x= y= 1. With this, you will be able to eliminate all the answer choices except for A and C. Now, test for case A. Could it be true that for [1][/(x+y)^1/2]> [x^1/2+ y^1/2][(x+y)^1/2]? For this to be true 2(xy)^1/2 will have to be less than zero and that is not possible since x and y are both >0. Hence, answer choice C remains.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: number property [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 18:46
Yes. I should have included more details in my post & I would have seen my error. Sorry for any confusion I've caused. Definitely have to make sure I don't make careless errors on the test. I apologize again.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: number property   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2012, 18:46