Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are positive, which of the following must be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [1] , given: 2

If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:35) correct 67% (01:21) wrong based on 172 sessions
If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?

I. \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2}
II. \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{2}
III. \frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{x+y}

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. None
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Jun 2014, 12:41, edited 3 times in total.
Formated the question
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: South Asian B-schools
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 20:38
This post received
KUDOS
we have to keep in mind that as 'x' is +ve; it can be integer or fracrtion.
my approach is to plug values in both situations (integer or fracrtion) and check the greater than condition....try to plug integers for sqrt sign & plug fraction for rest.

case I) [sqrt(x+y)]/2
say [sqrt(x+y)] is fractional value = 0.9 ( its not imporatant to assume x & y values as both eqns have [sqrt(x+y)] as common)

[sqrt(x+y)]/2 = 0.9/2 = 0.45
1/sqrt(x+y) = 1/0.9 = 1.xyz

hence [sqrt(x+y)]/2 < 1/sqrt(x+y)..hence not greater

case II) [sqrt(x)+sqrt(y)]/2
[sqrt(64)+sqrt(36)]/2 = 50
1/sqrt(36+64) = 0.1

hence [sqrt(x+y)]/2 > 1/sqrt(x+y)..hence greater

case III) [sqrt(x)-sqrt(y)]/(x+y)[/b]

[sqrt(100)-sqrt(64)]/(164)= 36/164 ~ 0.2yz ( dont calculate)
1/sqrt(100+64) ~ we know that 13^2= 169 thus 1/13 = 0.07 hence value will be surely less than ...hence hence greater

Ans II & III

Bhushan S.
If you like my post....Consider it for Kudos :-D

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [10] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let's consider original statement: \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}

How can we approach the problem fast? Let's see when the original statement is very large : x,y ---> 0 and \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} goes to infinity.
Now, let's see what do our options at x,y ---> 0.

I) \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2} goes to 0 at x,y ---> 0.

II) \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{2} goes to 0 at x,y ---> 0.

III) \frac{\sqrt{x}-sqrt{y}}{x+y} hm... it has x+y as a denominator. But what if x=y? At x=y it equals 0.

So, none of the options.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 506 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
If x and y are positive, which must be greater than 1/sqrt(x+y)?

I) [sqrt(x+y)]/2
II) [sqrt(x)+sqrt(y)]/2
III) [sqrt(x)-sqrt(y)]/(x+y)

We know x,y are positive. Thus x+y > 0

(I) \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} OR x+y > 2

Doesnt need to be always true

(II) \frac{\sqrt(x)+\sqrt(y)}{2} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} OR \sqrt{x+y} * (\sqrt(x)+\sqrt(y)) > 2

Again doesnt need to be true, if you chose x and y both to be less than 0.5 for instance

(III) \frac{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}}{x+y} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} OR \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y} > \sqrt{x+y}

Again does not need to be true. For instance x very small and y very large

So I think answer is NONE

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28828 [1] , given: 2852

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 25

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 19:26
walker wrote:

How can we approach the problem fast? Let's see when the original statement is very large : x,y ---> 0 and \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} goes to infinity.

III) \frac{\sqrt{x}-sqrt{y}}{x+y} hm... it has x+y as a denominator. But what if x=y? At x=y it equals 0.

So, none of the options.

Can you explain how you used this in more detail, and perhaps give me some idea of how to apply this same principle going forward. Thanks a lot, i appreciate the help.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1851 [3] , given: 359

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I don't see what could I add to my explanation but I can say a couple of words about the approach.

Using extreme examples often helps clearly figure out what is wrong and it has simple explanation.

Let's say we have something like that: 0.01*x^4 + 34.2x^2 + 12x + 123
How can we assess the expression at x -> infinity? if x is very big, x^4 will essentially larger than all other members and ~ 0.01x^4 is a good approximation for the expression at large x. So, instead of a complex expression, we use simple one.

I remember that I saw a couple of problems in OG12 that could be solved using this approach in 10-20sec instead of 2 min.... For example, OG12 PS149. Assuming that x=0 (v should be 60) and x=100 (v should be 40), it takes up to 20 sec to figure out what option is correct without solving the problem.

Sometimes extreme examples make obvious contradictions in statements, for instance, in geometry, assuming angle is ~180 or 0 for a triangle

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28828 [3] , given: 2852

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mmcooley33 wrote:
walker wrote:

So, none of the options.

Can you explain how you used this in more detail, and perhaps give me some idea of how to apply this same principle going forward. Thanks a lot, i appreciate the help.

Just to add couple of words to Walker's great solution:

Note that we are asked "which of the following MUST be greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?" not COULD be greater.

"MUST BE TRUE" questions:
These questions ask which of the following MUST be true (must be greater in our case), or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

So, if we find even one set of x and y for which \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} is greater than option I for example then it'll mean that option I is not ALWAYS greater then \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}.

How can we increase the value of \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}? Testing extreme examples: if x and y are very small (when their values approach zero) then denominator approaches zero and thus the value of the fraction goes to +infinity, becomes very large. In this case:

I. \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2}: nominator approaches zero, so the value of the whole fraction approaches zero as well, becoming very small. So this option is not always more than given fraction;
II. \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{2}: the same here - nominator approaches zero, so the value of the whole fraction approaches zero as well, becoming very small. So this option is not always more than given fraction;

As for:
III. \frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{x+y}, if x=y then this fraction equals to zero and \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} has some value more than zero, so this option also is not always more than given fraction;

Answer: none of the options must be greater than the given fraction.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5368 [0], given: 165

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 20:35
Expert's post
walker wrote:

Nice approach... I think your first two lines given above are sufficient to answer the question. If the given expression \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} approaches infinity for some values of x and y, there is no way any other expression can be always greater than this expression. Some other expression can equal this expression by approaching infinity for the same values of x and y (e.g. the third expression), but cannot be greater than this.

So the moment one realizes that \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} tends to infinity, the answer is clear.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 04:52
Expert's post
I think we still have to consider all options. For example, \frac{2}{\sqrt{x+y}} is always greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}

Expert Post

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 06:01
Expert's post
walker wrote:
I think we still have to consider all options. For example, \frac{2}{\sqrt{x+y}} is always greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}

Only if it is given that (x+y) is not equal to 0. Since that is not mentioned in the question, when (x+y) is 0, both the expressions will be the same.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28828 [0], given: 2852

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 06:06
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
walker wrote:

Only if it is given that (x+y) is not equal to 0. Since that is not mentioned in the question, when (x+y) is 0, both the expressions will be the same.

"If x and y are positive, which of the following..." so (x+y) is not equal to 0

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [1] , given: 376

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
If x and y are positive, which of the following must be greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?

I. \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2}
II. \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{2}
III. \frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{x+y}

walker wrote:

So, none of the options.

if x and y are very small values, then the inverse of their sum or sqrt{sum} will be very big

Say,
x=0.00000009 and y=0.00000016
x+y=0.00000009+0.00000016=0.00000025
sqrt{x}=sqrt{0.00000009}=0.0003
sqrt{y}=sqrt{0.00000016}=0.0004
sqrt{x+y} = sqrt{0.00000025} = 0.0005
1/(sqrt{x+y})=1/0.0005=2000

I.
sqrt{x+y}/2 = 0.0005/2 = 0.00025 < 2000

II.
(sqrt{x}+sqrt{y})/2 = (0.0003+0.0004)/2 = 0.0007/2 = 0.00035 < 2000

III.
sqrt{x}-sqrt{y}/(x+y)= -ve < 2000

the idea is; if x and y are very small values, then the inverse of their sum or sqrt{sum} will be very big

the inverse will be an even bigger number if we consider x=0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 and y=0.0000000000000000000000001

~fluke

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 32

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 11:49
Bunuel wrote:
mmcooley33 wrote:
walker wrote:

So, none of the options.

Just to add couple of words to Walker's great solution:

Note that we are asked "which of the following MUST be greater than \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}?" not COULD be greater.

"MUST BE TRUE" questions:
These questions ask which of the following MUST be true (must be greater in our case), or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

So, if we find even one set of x and y for which \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} is greater than option I for example then it'll mean that option I is not ALWAYS greater then \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}.

How can we increase the value of \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}}? Testing extreme examples: if x and y are very small (when their values approach zero) then denominator approaches zero and thus the value of the fraction goes to +infinity, becomes very large. In this case:

I. \frac{\sqrt{x+y}}{2}: nominator approaches zero, so the value of the whole fraction approaches zero as well, becoming very small. So this option is not always more than given fraction;
II. \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}{2}: the same here - nominator approaches zero, so the value of the whole fraction approaches zero as well, becoming very small. So this option is not always more than given fraction;

As for:
III. \frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}{x+y}, if x=y then this fraction equals to zero and \frac{1}{\sqrt{x+y}} has some value more than zero, so this option also is not always more than given fraction;

Answer: none of the options must be greater than the given fraction.

Hope it's clear.

taking value x=y=1 I am getting C.
What is wrong please help.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 18:41
I got none too, I used x=4 and y =0 but GMAT prep says answer is II only...can anyone help?
Expert Post

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 21:26
Expert's post
ad20 wrote:
I got none too, I used x=4 and y =0 but GMAT prep says answer is II only...can anyone help?

The answer is none to the question given in this post.
Is the GMAT prep question a little different? Does it say 'x and y are positive integers'?

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 02:24
Expert's post
ad20 wrote:

The answer to the question which is in the first post is "none of the options".

The question you are referring is discussed here: if-x-and-y-are-positive-which-of-the-following-must-be-85276.html and the answer to it is indeed C (II only).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 00:17
Bunuel wrote:
ad20 wrote:

The question you are referring is discussed here: if-x-and-y-are-positive-which-of-the-following-must-be-85276.html and the answer to it is indeed C (II only).

Bunuel what can't the cross multiplication trick that you suggested in the linked post be used in this particular problem? Or can it be?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 01:11
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ad20 wrote:

Bunuel what can't the cross multiplication trick that you suggested in the linked post be used in this particular problem? Or can it be?

You can use that approach for options I and II, since both those fractions are non-negative. Though I'd solve this question the way presented above.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 07:00
Experts,
I liked Walker's method. I chose X = y =1 and got 'none'. However, can we solve this question algebraically?

[Note: x and y are +ve; hence both the sides of inequalities are positive. There shouldn't be any harm in squaring]

#1 - This is straightforward.
For #2 - here's what I did: (Sqrt (x) + Sqrt (y))/2 > 1/(Sqrt(x+y))
Square both sides:
x + y + 2*sqrt(xy) > 2/(x+y)
OR

(x+y)^2 + 2(x+y)Sqrt (xy) > 4

This seems to hold good only when (x+y)^2 is greater than 2. (I am not sure about this one)

III:-

Simplifying, sqrt(x)-sqrt(y)>sqrt(x+y)
Now, x and y are positive. Therefore, rHS >0 => Sqrt (x) > sqrt(y)

Also, squaring both the sides, x+y-2sqrt(xy) > x+y => -2sqrt(xy)>0 ====> Impossible for any value of x and y because x and y are positive.

Is this method correct? Please let me know.

[Disclaimer: I wouldn't use this method on the GMAT. This is just for learning.]
Re: If x and y are positive, which of the following must be   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 07:00