Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [35]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GRE 1: Q780 V560
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [2]
Send PM
Re: M05-15 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatminator wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

First of all notice that since \(x\) is a positive number then \(\sqrt{x} \gt 0\).

(1) \(x \lt 3\). Since \(x\) is a positive integer then \(x=1\) or \(x=2\). For both those values, the right hand side (\(2.5x - 5\)) is less than or equal to zero, so it cannot be more than the left hand side (\(\sqrt{x}\)) which is positive. Hence the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) \(x\) is a prime number. If \(x=2\) then the answer is NO but if \(x=11\) then the answer is YES. Not sufficient.

Answer: A

Hey Bunuel,

Thanks for your help on this forum. Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't x>0 only tell me that the square root has a real value?
So, as far as (1) why don't you consider negative value of \sqrt{x}? For example \sqrt{2}=+ or - 1.4 and this could be < or > 0.

Thanks!

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the positive root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice though, that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Bookmarks
Can we solve this question as below:-

Question stem asks if √x <2.5x−5
This means, we need to prove if 2.5x - 5>0 => if x > 2? (we don't have equality sign because question mentions that x is a positive integer. This means >0).

Statement 1. x <3
As x is a positive integer, possible values of x are 1 and 2 and none of these is larger than 2. So answer to the question asked is NO. - Sufficient

Statement 2. x is a prime number.
x can be any prime number including 2 so we don't know if x>2 or not. - Insufficient

Answer - A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
hi brunel

we know x is positive , so squaring both sides gives x< 6.25x^2 + 25 - 25x i.e 26x< 6.25x^2 + 25

so if put 1 answer is yes. for x = 2 answer is no.How can answer be A
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sidagar wrote:
hi brunel

we know x is positive , so squaring both sides gives x< 6.25x^2 + 25 - 25x i.e 26x< 6.25x^2 + 25

so if put 1 answer is yes. for x = 2 answer is no.How can answer be A

Why are you squaring? We can only square inequality when we are certain that both sides are non-negative. We don't know that.

Also, you really do not need to square put x = 1 and x = 2 into √x <2.5x −5. What do you get?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 210 Q1 V1
Send PM
How can you do this quickly? Without testing cases?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sarimzahid2395 wrote:
How can you do this quickly? Without testing cases?

sarimzahid2395 - The point here is that testing cases is a time-efficient method of solving the question. I like to say that being a good reader is what helps boost your Quant scores, and this problem is a case in point. Remember, it is analytical reasoning that lies at the heart of the test, not necessarily mathematical prowess. Here, the keywords about the unknown are positive and integer. Statement (1) restricts those infinite possible positive integers to just two: 1 or 2, since 0 is not considered positive. The 1 breaks the square root down without performing any complicated analysis. The problem then reads, "is 1 < 2.5(1) - 5?" Reminder: whenever the square root symbol appears on the GMAT™, as Bunuel pointed out above in another response, only the positive root is considered. Getting back to the reformed question, it is clear that 1 is not, in fact, less than -2.5, but we have a definitive answer. The only way to overturn (A) as an answer is if 2 leads to a different scenario. In the question, "is √2 < 2.5(2) - 5," the answer will again come to no, since √2 is greater than 0. A "no" response to both 1 and 2, the only possible x values, provides a consistent picture, so the answer for now is that (A), Statement (1), is SUFFICIENT.

Looking at Statement (2), our prime positive integers, combining the information in the statement with that of the problem, will be 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and so on, once again stretching to infinity. We have already tested 2, so we can test any other valid number in the list of primes and see whether we also get a consistent picture:

is √3 < 2.5(3) - 5?

Just by focusing on the right-hand side, we can quickly determine that 2.5(3) - 5 = 2.5, and the question thus becomes,

is √3 < 2.5?

You do not have to be a math genius to see that √3 must be less than 2.5, since √4 would give us 2. Hence, we now have a yes answer to the same question we had a no to before, with 2, from this very statement. We can say goodbye to (D), then, and choose (A) as the answer.

I am no Quant maven, even if I aspire to be one. But with a little number sense, I cracked this one in 1:16 without writing down a thing. The concepts and vocabulary that are brought to bear in the question are simple enough. It is a mistake to think that you have to figure out everything all the time when you just need to answer the question that is being asked.

Good luck in your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
I am having a hard time understand this - why can't x be -1.414? I saw the reply from bunuel saying GMAT accepts sqt(x) as only +ve, given x is +ve - but why is that?? Mathematically it is possible. It's like saying GMAT accepts only one meaning of a particular word

I find the question to be ambiguous in this case - why not just write sqrt x > 0?

Is this an Officual Question?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Saby1098 wrote:
I am having a hard time understand this - why can't x be -1.414? I saw the reply from bunuel saying GMAT accepts sqt(x) as only +ve, given x is +ve - but why is that?? Mathematically it is possible. It's like saying GMAT accepts only one meaning of a particular word

I find the question to be ambiguous in this case - why not just write sqrt x > 0?

Is this an Officual Question?

The question is 100% correct.

\(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;
Similarly \(\sqrt{\frac{1}{16}} = \frac{1}{4}\), NOT +1/4 or -1/4.

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts