Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x is a prime number, what is the value of x?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

If x is a prime number, what is the value of x? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 22:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
GMAT experts, can anyone help me with these problems? I've been trying, but hitting walls... I'm much more of a verbal person than quant. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will lavish you in compliments/gratitude via internet. THANK YOU.

DATA SUFFICIENCY QUESTION:
1) If x is a prime number, what is the value of x?
(1) x<15
(2) (x-2) is a multiple of 5
*The answer key says the answer is (E) statements 1 & 2 taken together are not sufficient to answer, but I thought it was (C) statements 1 & 2 together are sufficient to answer, since the only number x could be is 7...?

2) Steve gets on the elevator at the 11th floor of a building and rides up at a rate of 57 floors per minute. At the same time Joyce gets on an elevator on the 51st floor of the same building and rides down at a rate of 63 floors per minute. If they continue traveling at those rate, at which floor will their paths cross?
a. 19
b. 28
c. 30
d. 32
e. 44
*I ruled out answers d and e since I know the floor has to be below the midway point between the 11th floor and 51st floor. But where do I go from there?

3) If both 5^2 and 3^3 are factors of n * 2^5 * 6^2 * 7^3, what is the smallest possible positive value of n?
a. 25
b. 27
c. 45
d. 75
e. 125
*no clue on this one... help?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 23:19
meesawoosa wrote:
GMAT experts, can anyone help me with these problems? I've been trying, but hitting walls... I'm much more of a verbal person than quant. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will lavish you in compliments/gratitude via internet. THANK YOU.

(1) x<15
*The answer key says the answer is (E) statements 1 & 2 taken together are not sufficient to answer, but I thought it was (C) statements 1 & 2 together are sufficient to answer, since the only number x could be is 7...?
You are partially correct.. Along with 7, another number can be 2, x-2 = 0..which is also multiply of 5.. so we cannot answer combining one and two...

2) Steve gets on the elevator at the 11th floor of a building and rides up at a rate of 57 floors per minute. At the same time Joyce gets on an elevator on the 51st floor of the same building and rides down at a rate of 63 floors per minute. If they continue traveling at those rate, at which floor will their paths cross?
a. 19
b. 28
c. 30
d. 32
e. 44
*I ruled out answers d and e since I know the floor has to be below the midway point between the 11th floor and 51st floor. But where do I go from there?
The rate of S & J varies in the ration of 57:63 => 19:21.
It means, by the time, S has climbed 19 floor, J would have came down by 21.
Incidently, the gap between them is 40 floors...

so..they would meet at 19+11= 30th floor...
or.. 51-21=30 floor...

3) If both 5^2 and 3^3 are factors of n * 2^5 * 6^2 * 7^3, what is the smallest possible positive value of n?
a. 25
b. 27
c. 45
d. 75
e. 125

if you factorize.. n*2^5 * 6^2*7^3==> n*2^7*3^2*7^3....

Now, 5^2 is factor of the above number.. so it should be divisible by 5^2....
also, it is divisible by 3^3... so it should be divisible by 3^3...but we have only 3^2..s0..we need one more 3..

so..if we multiply it by 5^2*3.. it will satisfy the equation..
so n should be 75
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please help? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 23:30
meesawoosa wrote:

(1) x<15

You ignored the prime 2, so x can be 2 and 7, so 1 and 2 combined is not suff

a. 19
b. 28
c. 30
d. 32
e. 44

I found 30, but not sure
a. 25
b. 27
c. 45
d. 75
e. 125

n * 2^5 * 6^2 * 7^3 = n *2^5*(2^2*3^2)*7^3 =2^7*[color=#FF0000][b]3^2*7^3. so If both 5^2 and 3^3 are factors of n * 2^5 * 6^2 * 7^3, n must be = 5^2*3=75

D[/b][/color]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Please help? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 23:51
sondenso, Igon, THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH.

i completely forgot that 0 was also a multiple of 5! and Igon, your explanation of the second problem suddenly makes everything clear... i had gotten to the point of comparing 57 and 63 but couldn't figure out where to go from there. and as for that last problem... yeah... i was going nuts. thank you both again.
Re: Please help?   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2009, 23:51