Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [30]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [11]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Re: If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x, [#permalink]
Statement 1:
Mean = Even
=> 0+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9/10 = even

If X is odd, then 0+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9 = 0 + Odd + Odd + .. + odd (total 9 times Odd) = Odd
So, x is Even,
There for all the members of the set are Even. ---- Sufficient

Statement 2:
The standard deviation of the set is 0 => All the members are 0 => All the members are Even

-- Sufficient

Hence, answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Nice explenation guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
lhskev wrote:
If X is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x, x^2, x^3,.... x^9) contain?

(1) The mean of the set is even
(2) The standard deviation of the set is 0

Can someone please explain how to get to this answer?

Thank you.

If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x, x^2, x^3,.... x^9) contain?

We have the set with 10 terms: {0, x, x^2, x^3, ..., x^9}.

Note that if \(x=odd\) then the set will contain one even (0) and 9 odd terms (as if \(x=odd\), then \(x^2=odd\), \(x^3=odd\), ..., \(x^9=odd\)) and if \(x=even\) then the set will contain all even terms (as if \(x=even\), then \(x^2=even\), \(x^3=even\), ..., \(x^9=even\)).

Also note that: standard deviation is always more than or equal to zero: \(SD\geq{0}\). SD is 0 only when the list contains all identical elements (or which is same only 1 element).

(1) The mean of the set is even --> mean=sum/10=even --> sum=10*even=even --> 0+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9=even --> x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9=even --> x=even (if x=odd then the sum of 9 odd numbers would be odd) --> all 10 terms in the set are even. Sufficient.

(2) The standard deviation of the set is 0 --> all 10 terms are identical --> as the first term is 0, then all other terms must equal to zero --> all 10 terms in the set are even. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

I am a little confused about statement 1) especially if x is odd. For eg: consider x=3. Now if there are 3 elements in the set, they are (0,3,9). The mean of the set will be (0+3+9)/3=4 which is EVEN
Now consider 4 terms in this series with x=3 the set will be (0,3,9,27) then the mean would be (0+3+9+27)/4 = 39/4 which is not even. So x could be odd and still have the Mean of the set to be even. So A is insufficient. What am I missing, thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
lhskev wrote:
If X is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x, x^2, x^3,.... x^9) contain?

(1) The mean of the set is even
(2) The standard deviation of the set is 0

Can someone please explain how to get to this answer?

Thank you.

If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x, x^2, x^3,.... x^9) contain?

We have the set with 10 terms: {0, x, x^2, x^3, ..., x^9}.

Note that if \(x=odd\) then the set will contain one even (0) and 9 odd terms (as if \(x=odd\), then \(x^2=odd\), \(x^3=odd\), ..., \(x^9=odd\)) and if \(x=even\) then the set will contain all even terms (as if \(x=even\), then \(x^2=even\), \(x^3=even\), ..., \(x^9=even\)).

Also note that: standard deviation is always more than or equal to zero: \(SD\geq{0}\). SD is 0 only when the list contains all identical elements (or which is same only 1 element).

(1) The mean of the set is even --> mean=sum/10=even --> sum=10*even=even --> 0+x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9=even --> x+x^2+x^3+...+x^9=even --> x=even (if x=odd then the sum of 9 odd numbers would be odd) --> all 10 terms in the set are even. Sufficient.

(2) The standard deviation of the set is 0 --> all 10 terms are identical --> as the first term is 0, then all other terms must equal to zero --> all 10 terms in the set are even. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

I am a little confused about statement 1) especially if x is odd. For eg: consider x=3. Now if there are 3 elements in the set, they are (0,3,9). The mean of the set will be (0+3+9)/3=4 which is EVEN
Now consider 4 terms in this series with x=3 the set will be (0,3,9,27) then the mean would be (0+3+9+27)/4 = 39/4 which is not even. So x could be odd and still have the Mean of the set to be even. So A is insufficient. What am I missing, thanks

consider x=3. Now if there are 3 elements in the set - You cannot have 3 elements. The set must contain \(0, 3, 3^2,3^3,3^4,...,3^9\) - \(10\) elements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Can you please explain why we are considering 0 as even, because 0 is mostly treated as nether even nor odd. Hence 2) is insufficient.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
ssingla wrote:
Can you please explain why we are considering 0 as even, because 0 is mostly treated as nether even nor odd. Hence 2) is insufficient.

Zero is an even integer. Zero is nether positive nor negative, but zero is definitely an even number.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder and as zero is evenly divisible by 2 then it must be even (in fact zero is divisible by every integer except zero itself).

For more check Number Theory chapter of Math Book: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
For Stmt A ?

Does it mean if x = odd , then sum is odd , the mean would be = Sum / numbers ( 9 ) in this case which would be

Mean = Sum ( Odd )
------------------ == Odd .. so X can only be even here ...
9 ( Odd )
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts