Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x ,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x , [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 05:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (04:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x , x^2, ..., x^9) contain?

1) The mean of the set is even
2) The standard deviation of the set is 0

Can someone explain to me how we can determine whether the sum of the series is odd or even by looking at Statement 1? For example, does x have to be odd for 0 + x + x^2 + ...+ x^9 to be odd? Why? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: Even numbers [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 06:14
GK_Gmat wrote:
If x is an integer, how many even numbers does set (0, x , x^2, ..., x^9) contain?

Can someone explain to me how we can determine whether the sum of the series is odd or even by looking at Statement 1? For example, does x have to be odd for 0 + x + x^2 + ...+ x^9 to be odd? Why? Thanks.

Im sure I am wrong - but if the SD is 0 - doesn't that mean all the numbers are the same? So if 0 is included, x = 0

Edit - I see A as being suff now... D

Last edited by alrussell on 22 Nov 2007, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 06:19
This is what I think:

1) suff. because the mean is the sum of all number and then divided by the number of numbers. the sum in this case should be even:

sum/# of #'s = even

therefore: sum = (# of #'s) even

The only way you can have the sum of even is when x is even. you can try it. if X is odd, you will not have the total sum as even.

e+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+o= odd
e+e+e+e+e+e+e+e+e+e= even

by the way, 0 is even

2) suff. because this means that all the numbers are the same. therefore, when counting from 0 up to x^9, that should be 10 even numbers.

Answer should be D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 10:57

FROM ONE

the set is composed of x and its exponantials + 0 , the sum of the whole set is even.............you can answer the question ...........suff
from 2

sd = 0 ,....x = 0 ..suff

i say D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 19

Re: DS: Even numbers [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 11:30
GK_Gmat wrote:

if the mean is even, then definitely the sum is also even because even divided by odd or even only be even. only # of elements can be even or odd.

also got D.

1: since there are 10 elements (and out of 10, 9 are power of x), the sum of x and its powers should be even. if x is odd, the sum of x and its powers cannot be even. so x must be even and eventually all are even.

2: SD 0 means all are zero because the set has 0 as an element. when a set has 0 as an element and its SD is 0, then all elements must be 0. so all elements are even.

D.
Re: DS: Even numbers   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2007, 11:30