Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x is an integer, what is the value of x? (3)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

If x is an integer, what is the value of x? (3) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 14:41
If √x is an integer, what is the value of √x?
(3) 11<x<17
(4) 2<√x<5
________________________________________________________________
A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 17:08
I agree with A.

With (1), there's only one possible number in that range of 12 to 16 that x could be for it to be a perfect square (x has to be 16).

With (2), square root of x could be either 3 or 4 so there's no unique solution.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Mumbai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:54
I feel it should be E.

1 statement is insufficient since x has to be 16 and root of 16 can be +4 or -4

2 is insufficient since it could be 3 or 4
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2008
Posts: 234
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 22:07
since √x is under a radical, its supposed to be positive...although im not too sure...any comments on this?
jitendra wrote:
I feel it should be E.

1 statement is insufficient since x has to be 16 and root of 16 can be +4 or -4

2 is insufficient since it could be 3 or 4
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2500
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 19

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 22:38
haichao wrote:
If √x is an integer, what is the value of √x?

(3) 11<x<17
(4) 2<√x<5



Agree that its not A but it is also not E.

From (1) since sqrt(x) is an integer, x has to be 16 but sqrt(x) could be -4 or 4. so insuff...
From (2) sqrt(x) could be 3 or 4. still not suff.

But from 1 and 2, sqrt(x) is 4.

so C.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 112
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 23:00
GMAT TIGER wrote:
haichao wrote:
If √x is an integer, what is the value of √x?

(3) 11<x<17
(4) 2<√x<5



Agree that its not A but it is also not E.

From (1) since sqrt(x) is an integer, x has to be 16 but sqrt(x) could be -4 or 4. so insuff...
From (2) sqrt(x) could be 3 or 4. still not suff.

But from 1 and 2, sqrt(x) is 4.

so C.


I think sqrt(16) results in a positive number - so sqrt(16) = 4, not -4.
However, when x^2 = 16, then you can have 2 values of x: 4 and -4.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 735
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 00:22
nganle08 wrote:
I think sqrt(16) results in a positive number - so sqrt(16) = 4, not -4.
However, when x^2 = 16, then you can have 2 values of x: 4 and -4.


Yep, GMAT considers positive square root only.
A should be the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 00:27
Agree with Tiger ;)

(1) is insufficient due to the fact that 16 has two roots, +- 4. I would be surprised if GMAT would only consider the positive root, as I think it is incomplete to say that sqrt(16)=4 rather than +-4. When you take a square root, you are asking: which number, when squared, gives the desired result? For 16 there are clearly two answers and neither one alone is complete.

(2) is also insufficient by itself since sqrt(x) could be 3 or 4.

Together, (1) and (2) show that the answer is sqrt(x)=4.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 112
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 09:25
phdizzle wrote:
Agree with Tiger ;)

(1) is insufficient due to the fact that 16 has two roots, +- 4. I would be surprised if GMAT would only consider the positive root, as I think it is incomplete to say that sqrt(16)=4 rather than +-4. When you take a square root, you are asking: which number, when squared, gives the desired result? For 16 there are clearly two answers and neither one alone is complete.

(2) is also insufficient by itself since sqrt(x) could be 3 or 4.

Together, (1) and (2) show that the answer is sqrt(x)=4.


You can disagree with it but GMAT says that square root will only take positive value. So sqrt(16) = 4 only.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 12:01
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
nganle08 wrote:
I think sqrt(16) results in a positive number - so sqrt(16) = 4, not -4.
However, when x^2 = 16, then you can have 2 values of x: 4 and -4.


Yep, GMAT considers positive square root only.
A should be the correct answer.



Can someone substantiate this one. I mean is it written in the OG somewhr??

For me the answer has to be C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 112
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:46
hibloom wrote:
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
nganle08 wrote:
I think sqrt(16) results in a positive number - so sqrt(16) = 4, not -4.
However, when x^2 = 16, then you can have 2 values of x: 4 and -4.


Yep, GMAT considers positive square root only.
A should be the correct answer.



Can someone substantiate this one. I mean is it written in the OG somewhr??

For me the answer has to be C


I do not bring my OG with me now, but in Manhattan GMAT prep "Number Properities", it says "Unlike even exponents, which yeilld both a positive and a negative solution, square roots have only one solution. Ex: sqrt(4) = 2. While it is true that (-2)(-2) = 4, the GMAT follows the standard convention that a radical (root) sign denotes only the non-negative root of a number. Thus, 2 is the only solution for sqrt(4)."
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3399
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 15:01
going with A on this one..you have only positive sqrt(x)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 272
Location: Motortown
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 15:04
haichao wrote:
If √x is an integer, what is the value of √x?
(1) 11<x<17
(2) 2<√x<5


A

1. Since √x is an integer, x = 16
So, √16 = 4 - Suff

2. InSuff
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 16:39
Wow, thanks nganle. As much as that surprises me it's good to know! Although I will undoubtedly forget come test time thanks to too many years of brain-programming...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: value integer [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 01:33
Quote:

I do not bring my OG with me now, but in Manhattan GMAT prep "Number Properities", it says "Unlike even exponents, which yeilld both a positive and a negative solution, square roots have only one solution. Ex: sqrt(4) = 2. While it is true that (-2)(-2) = 4, the GMAT follows the standard convention that a radical (root) sign denotes only the non-negative root of a number. Thus, 2 is the only solution for sqrt(4)."


with this explanation, I will straightly go to A as my answer :-D
Re: value integer   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2008, 01:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the value of integer x? 3111987 6 21 Jan 2014, 14:48
If x is an integer, what is the value of x? (3) IEsailor 7 17 May 2011, 12:00
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the value of integer x ? MBAUncle 9 20 Apr 2010, 06:04
what is the largest integer value of x that makes 30!/3^x an pattydread 5 19 Aug 2008, 07:33
If sqrt(x) is an integer, what is the value of sqrt(x) (3) withme 2 23 Sep 2006, 14:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x is an integer, what is the value of x? (3)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.