Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [11]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:Organised Chaos - aka 'Method to the Madness' aka Mad Maxx
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Technology, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618818 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of [#permalink]
Hello Bunuel,
Can you show us graphical approach to this question.
I was able to draw the graph for all three equations and intersection points, however, I was not able to negate the third ordering. Would you please help me out.

Thanks
imhimanshu
P.S - How can I post graphs here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello Bunuel,
Can you show us graphical approach to this question.
I was able to draw the graph for all three equations and intersection points, however, I was not able to negate the third ordering. Would you please help me out.

Thanks
imhimanshu
P.S - How can I post graphs here.

Here is the graph:
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 11.4 KiB | Viewed 17461 times ]

III. 2x < x^2 < 1/x

For 2x to be less than x^2, the graph of 2x should lie below the graph of x^2. This happens when the graph of 2x is the red line.
For x^2 to be less than 1/x at the same time, the graph of x^2 should lie below the graph of 1/x in the region of the red line. But in the region of the red line, the graph of x^2 is never below the graph of 1/x. It will never be because graph of 1/x is going down toward y = 0 while graph of x^2 is going up toward y = infinity.
Hence this inequality will not hold for any region.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering [#permalink]
if i take value 9/10 it satisfies 2nd ordering but if i take 2/3 it doesnt satisfies 2nd ordering. why?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [0]
Send PM
Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sananoor wrote:
if i take value 9/10 it satisfies 2nd ordering but if i take 2/3 it doesnt satisfies 2nd ordering. why?

The question says "...could be the correct ordering of..."
So if even 1 positive value of x satisfies the ordering, it is included. Since 9/10 satisfies the second ordering, it is included in the ordering.

A transition point here is 1/sqrt(2). That is why values less than 1/sqrt(2) (such as 2/3) behave differently from values more than 1/sqrt(2) (such as 9/10).

Check here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/05 ... on-points/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
GPA: 4
Send PM
If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of [#permalink]
Can't any one or two numbers(that are same) be used in all the three statements? The problem is plugging number in statement II is not satisfying. Pls explain by putting in same numbers in all statements. (I got that Statment 3 is not satisfying)

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
topper97 wrote:
Can't any one or two numbers(that are same) be used in all the three statements? The problem is plugging number in statement II is not satisfying. Pls explain by putting in same numbers in all statements. (I got that Statment 3 is not satisfying)

Posted from my mobile device

You cannot plug in same numbers in each statement and expect to get the answer. The requirement of each statement is different. Hence, we need to find transition points to ensure that we get the answer. This is explained in the link given here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-is-posi ... l#p1748102
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.4
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x, 2x and x^2 ?

I. \(x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}\)

II. \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\)

III. \(2x<x^2<\frac{1}{x}\)

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III

First note that we are asked "which of the following COULD be the correct ordering" not MUST be.
Basically we should determine relationship between \(x\), \(\frac{1}{x}\) and \(x^2\) in three areas: \(0<1<2<\).

\(x>2\)

\(1<x<2\)

\(0<x<1\)

When \(x>2\) --> \(x^2\) is the greatest and no option is offering this, so we know that x<2.
If \(1<x<2\) --> \(2x\) is greatest then comes \(x^2\) and no option is offering this.

So, we are left with \(0<x<1\):
In this case \(x^2\) is least value, so we are left with:

I. \(x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}\) --> can \(2x<\frac{1}{x}\)? Can \(\frac{2x^2-1}{x}<0\), the expression \(2x^2-1\) can be negative or positive for \(0<x<1\). (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

II. \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\) --> can \(\frac{1}{x}<2x\)? The same here \(\frac{2x^2-1}{x}>0\), the expression \(2x^2-1\) can be negative or positive for \(0<x<1\). (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

Answer: D.

Second condition: \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\)

The question is which of the following COULD be the correct ordering not MUST be.

Put \(0.9\) --> \(x^2=0.81\), \(\frac{1}{x}=1.11\), \(2x=1.8\) --> \(0.81<1.11<1.8\). Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

Hope it's clear.

Answer is clear but how did you decide the ranges. Question only mentions that X is positive. But you use three ranges X>2, 2<X<1 and 0<X<1. When I was solving this question, I used only two ranges 0<X<1 and X>1. Would be great if you could explain why did we check for X>2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
divakarns wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x, 2x and x^2 ?

I. \(x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}\)

II. \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\)

III. \(2x<x^2<\frac{1}{x}\)

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III

First note that we are asked "which of the following COULD be the correct ordering" not MUST be.
Basically we should determine relationship between \(x\), \(\frac{1}{x}\) and \(x^2\) in three areas: \(0<1<2<\).

\(x>2\)

\(1<x<2\)

\(0<x<1\)

When \(x>2\) --> \(x^2\) is the greatest and no option is offering this, so we know that x<2.
If \(1<x<2\) --> \(2x\) is greatest then comes \(x^2\) and no option is offering this.

So, we are left with \(0<x<1\):
In this case \(x^2\) is least value, so we are left with:

I. \(x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}\) --> can \(2x<\frac{1}{x}\)? Can \(\frac{2x^2-1}{x}<0\), the expression \(2x^2-1\) can be negative or positive for \(0<x<1\). (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

II. \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\) --> can \(\frac{1}{x}<2x\)? The same here \(\frac{2x^2-1}{x}>0\), the expression \(2x^2-1\) can be negative or positive for \(0<x<1\). (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

Answer: D.

Second condition: \(x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x\)

The question is which of the following COULD be the correct ordering not MUST be.

Put \(0.9\) --> \(x^2=0.81\), \(\frac{1}{x}=1.11\), \(2x=1.8\) --> \(0.81<1.11<1.8\). Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

Hope it's clear.

Answer is clear but how did you decide the ranges. Question only mentions that X is positive. But you use three ranges X>2, 2<X<1 and 0<X<1. When I was solving this question, I used only two ranges 0<X<1 and X>1. Would be great if you could explain why did we check for X>2.

Hi divakarns

The critical ranges on positive sides are
1) 0 < x < 1
2) x > 1

However, this question is really beautiful cause it prompts us to think of values within the range 0 < x < 1

For x^2 > x, x must be either negative or x > 1 so third one is definitely out cause 1/x in that range can NOT be greater than x^2

Tricky case is Part II

There we need to think for what values of x in range 0 < x < 1, \(\frac{1}{x}<2x\) and that's possible only when x is closer to 1 than 0 i.e. evalues close to 1 such as 0.9

I hope this Help! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [9]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 25:46
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5900
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Vavali wrote:
If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of \(\frac{1}{x}\), \(2x\), and \(x^2\)?

I. \(x^2 < 2x < \frac{1}{x}\)

II. \(x^2 < \frac{1}{x} < 2x\)

III. \(2x < x^2 < \frac{1}{x}\)

(A) none
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I, II and III

I would typically start here by seeing if I can spot any obvious x-values that satisfy any of the statements.
For statements both I and II, \(x^2\) is the smallest value.
This typically occurs when \(0<x<1\).
So let's test a value in that range.

If \(x = 0.1\), we get:
Statement I. \((0.1)^2 < 2(0.1) < \frac{1}{(0.1)}\), which simplifies to: \(0.01 < 0.2 < 10\) WORKS!!
So, statement I could be true, which means we can eliminate answer choices A and C, since they incorrectly state that statement I can't be true

Aside: Since \(x = 0.1\) makes statement I true, I know that it won't make the other two statements true since they have different orderings of \(x^2\), \(2x\) and \(\frac{1}{x}\)

Now let's analyze statement II: \(x^2 < \frac{1}{x} < 2x\)
Since we know \(x\) is positive, we can safely multiply all parts by \(x\) to get: \(x^3 < 1 < 2x^2\)
If \(x^3 < 1\), then we know \(x<1\).

What about this part of the inequality: \(1 < 2x^2\)
Divide both sides by \(2\) to get: \(\frac{1}{2} < x^2\)
Find the square root of both sides: \(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} < x\)
We can rewrite this as follows: \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<x\)

ASIDE: Before test day, be sure to memorize the following approximations:
√2 ≈ 1.4
√3 ≈ 1.7
√5 ≈ 2.2

Substitute 1.4 for √2 to get: \(\frac{1}{1.4}<x\)
Approximate: \(0.7 < x\)

When we combine our two conclusions we see that statement II is true when \(0.7 < x < 1\)

To confirm, let's plug \(x = 0.8\) into statement II to get: \((0.8)^2 < \frac{1}{0.8} < 2(0.8)\), which simplifies (approximately) to \(0.64 < 1.25 < 1.6\) WORKS!
So, statement II could be true, which means we can eliminate answer choice B, since it incorrectly states that statement II can't be true

Now onto statement III: \(2x < x^2 < \frac{1}{x}\)
Take this part of the inequality: \(2x < x^2\)
Subtract \(2x\) from both sides: \(0 < x^2 - 2x\)
Factor: \(0 < x(x- 2)\)
Since we already know \(x\) is positive, the only way \(x(x- 2)\) can be positive is if \(x > 2\)
However, if \(x > 2\), then there's no way that \(\frac{1}{x}\) can have the greatest value.
Therefore, statement III can never be true.

Answer: D

BrentGMATPrepNow thanks for your reply. It makes much more sense now.
One thing I'm confused is why is different numbers need to be picked for option I , II , III and not one number picking then check which option will satisfy it as in other GMAT questions?
Therefore how will I know when to pick one number or to pick different numbers for each option choice as in this case?
Once again thanks for your time in advaned and great helps always.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29911 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Kimberly77 wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow thanks for your reply. It makes much more sense now.
One thing I'm confused is why is different numbers need to be picked for option I , II , III and not one number picking then check which option will satisfy it as in other GMAT questions?
Therefore how will I know when to pick one number or to pick different numbers for each option choice as in this case?
Once again thanks for your time in advaned and great helps always.

The main idea here is that the ordering of 1/x, 2x, and x^2 depends on the value of x.
For example, if x = 3, then 1/x < 2x < x^2
Conversely, if x = -1, then 2x < 1/x < x^2
And so on.

The question is asking us which of the three orderings are possible.

Does that help?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Hi IanStewart,

Here I am troubling you again.

This question has intrigued me time and time again in terms of what it actually tests. We know now that GMAC is not interested in testing our maths skills but rather reasoning skills. So, how does one go about solving this in a manner where he/she does not have to write down a bunch of inequalities, do number picking and square root approximations and then reach to the answer.

As there's no one better than you when it comes to maths reasoning, I wonder how you'd look at such questions and how you'd go about solving them.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of [#permalink]
Kudos