Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x is positive, which of the following could be the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

If x is positive, which of the following could be the [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 16:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (01:52) correct 65% (01:00) wrong based on 130 sessions
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x, 2x and x^2 ?

I. x^2 < 2x < 1/x
II. x^2 < 1/x < 2x
III. 2x < x^2 < 1/x

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Jul 2012, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 2869

Kudos [?]: 18344 [3] , given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x,2x and x^2 ?
I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x<x^2<1/x

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III

ALGEBRAIC APPROACH:

First note that we are asked "which of the following COULD be the correct ordering" not MUST be.
Basically we should determine relationship between x, \frac{1}{x} and x^2 in three areas: 0------1------2-------.

x>2

1<x<2

0<x<1

When x>2 --> x^2 is the greatest and no option is offering this, so we know that x<2.
If 1<x<2 --> 2x is greatest then comes x^2 and no option is offering this.

So, we are left with 0<x<1:
In this case x^2 is least value, so we are left with:

I. x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x} --> can 2x<\frac{1}{x}? Can \frac{2x^2-1}{x}<0, the expression 2x^2-1 can be negative or positive for 0<x<1. (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

II. x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x --> can \frac{1}{x}<2x? The same here \frac{2x^2-1}{x}>0, the expression 2x^2-1 can be negative or positive for 0<x<1. (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

Answer: D.

NUMBER PLUGGING APPROACH:

I. x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x} --> x=\frac{1}{2} --> x^2=\frac{1}{4}, 2x=1, \frac{1}{x}=2 --> \frac{1}{4}<1<2. Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

II. x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x --> x=0.9 --> x^2=0.81, \frac{1}{x}=1.11, 2x=1.8 --> 0.81<1.11<1.8. Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

III. 2x<x^2<\frac{1}{x} --> x^2 to be more than 2x, x must be more than 2 (for positive x-es). But if x>2, then \frac{1}{x} is the least value from these three and can not be more than 2x and x^2. So III can not be true.

Thus I and II could be correct ordering and III can not.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18344 [1] , given: 2345

Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vitamingmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x is positive, which of the following could be the correct ordering of 1/x,2x and x^2 ?
I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x<x^2<1/x

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III

ALGEBRAIC APPROACH:

First note that we are asked "which of the following COULD be the correct ordering" not MUST be.
Basically we should determine relationship between x, \frac{1}{x} and x^2 in three areas: 0------1------2-------.

x>2

1<x<2

0<x<1

When x>2 --> x^2 is the greatest and no option is offering this, so we know that x<2.

I. x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x} --> can 2x<\frac{1}{x}? Can \frac{2x^2-1}{x}<0, the expression 2x^2-1 can be negative or positive for 0<x<1. (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

II. x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x --> can \frac{1}{x}<2x? The same here \frac{2x^2-1}{x}>0, the expression 2x^2-1 can be negative or positive for 0<x<1. (You can check it either algebraically or by picking numbers)

I. x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x} --> x=\frac{1}{2} --> x^2=\frac{1}{4}, 2x=1, \frac{1}{x}=2 --> \frac{1}{4}<1<2. Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

II. x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x --> x=0.9 --> x^2=0.81, \frac{1}{x}=1.11, 2x=1.8 --> 0.81<1.11<1.8. Hence this COULD be the correct ordering.

III. 2x<x^2<\frac{1}{x} --> x^2 to be more than 2x, x must be more than 2 (for positive x-es). But if x>2, then \frac{1}{x} is the least value from these three and can not be more than 2x and x^2. So III can not be true.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I have doubt !!!

Lets submit the values in the equations...lets take x= 3

then

I. x^2<2x<1/x ===> 9<6<1/3 which is not true
II. x^2<1/x<2x ===> 9<1/3<6 which is not true again
III. 2x<x^2<1/x ===> 6< 9> 1/3 which is true....

so, i believe only III is the ans

First of all we are asked "which of the following COULD be the correct ordering" not MUST be.

"MUST BE TRUE" questions:
These questions ask which of the following MUST be true, or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

Also: how is III correct for x=3?

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 18:53
Thanks Bunuel! I did exactly what you did, splitting the numbers. I then picked 1/2 and 1/16 and got the wrong answer. I guess sometimes picking the "easy" numbers is not the best strategy.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 04:43
Bunuel wrote:
I. x^2<2x<1/x
II. x^2<1/x<2x
III. 2x<x^2<1/x

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I II and III

ALGEBRAIC APPROACH:

x>2

1<x<2

0<x<1

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I have doubt !!!

Lets submit the values in the equations...lets take x= 3

then

I. x^2<2x<1/x ===> 9<6<1/3 which is not true
II. x^2<1/x<2x ===> 9<1/3<6 which is not true again
III. 2x<x^2<1/x ===> 6< 9> 1/3 which is true....

so, i believe only III is the ans
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3785 [0], given: 148

Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 04:54
Expert's post
butterfly wrote:
I guess sometimes picking the "easy" numbers is not the best strategy.

Thanks again!

When picking a number, the most important thing is that we should try all possible numbers that could give us different answers. Let me explain by telling you how I would put in numbers and check.

I see \frac{1}{x}, 2x and x^2.
I know I have to try numbers from two ranges at least '0-1' and '>1' since numbers in these ranges behave differently.
Also, x^2 is greater than 2x if x > 2 e.g. 3x3 > 2x3 but if x < 2, then x^2 is less than 2x e.g 1.5 x 1.5 < 2 x 1.5. So, I need to try a number in the range 1 to 2 as well.
Also, 0 and 1 are special numbers, they give different results sometimes so I have to try those as well. Let's start:

0- Since x is positive, I don't need to try it.

1/2 - I get 2, 1 and 1/4. I get the order x^2 < 2x < \frac{1}{x}

1 - I get 1, 2, 1 Now, what you need to notice here is that 2x > \frac{1}{x} whereas in our above result we got \frac{1}{x} > 2x. This means there must be some value between 0 and 1 where \frac{1}{x} = 2x. Anyway, that doesn't bother me but what I have to do now is take a number very close to 1 but still less than it.
I take 15/16 (random choice). I get 16/15, 15/8 and (\frac{15}{16})^2. The first two numbers are greater than 1 and the last one is less than 1. I get the order x^2 < \frac{1}{x} < 2x

Now I need to try 3/2. I get 2/3, 3 and 9/4. So the order is \frac{1}{x} < 2x < x^2

I try 3 - I get 1/3, 6, 9
For these numbers, x^2 will be greatest but none of the options have it as the greatest term.

Only I. and II. match hence answer is (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 08:26
Bunuel wrote:
[b]

Bunuel I have reasonably implemented the key values approach in all my inequalities problems but I couldn't understand how 0, 1, 2 can be inferred to be the keys in this problem.
Can you elaborate why you chose 0 1 2 ?

Regards,
Sameer
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18344 [0], given: 2345

Re: 1/x, 2x, x^2 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 10:54
Expert's post
sameerdrana wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
[b]

Bunuel I have reasonably implemented the key values approach in all my inequalities problems but I couldn't understand how 0, 1, 2 can be inferred to be the keys in this problem.
Can you elaborate why you chose 0 1 2 ?

Regards,
Sameer

We should check which of the 3 statements COULD be the correct ordering.

Now, the same way as x and x^2 have different ordering in the ranges 0<x<1 and x>1, 2x and x^2 have different ordering in the ranges 1<x<2 (1/x<x^2<2x) and x>2 (1/x<2x<x^2). Next, you can see that no option is offering such ordering thus if there is correct ordering listed then it must be for the x-es from the range 0<x<1. So, if we want to proceed by number plugging we know from which range to pick numbers. Also as in this range x^2 is the least value we can quickly discard option III and concentrate on I and II.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 00:35
this can take a long time

use both methods, picking the number and solving unequality

for the third we can solve unequality, remember one thing make it easy, x is positive so we can multiple 2 sides of un equality with x and do not change the mark of unequality

gmat is simple but is enough to kill us when we are nervous on the test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 09:13
Took 3 minutes. Did it by plugging in. Finding algebraic method a little laborious.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Status: Organised Chaos - aka 'Method to the Madness' aka Mad Maxx
Concentration: Technology, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 84

Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 16:35
Bunuel wrote:
Basically we should determine relationship between , and in three areas: 0------1------2-------.

Buneul,

Could you please explain as to how you came to pick these ranges ? The rest of it is perfectly fine.

Thanks
d

‘Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.’ ~ Samuel Beckett

Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 18344 [0], given: 2345

Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 00:27
Expert's post
dataman wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Basically we should determine relationship between , and in three areas: 0------1------2-------.

Buneul,

Could you please explain as to how you came to pick these ranges ? The rest of it is perfectly fine.

Thanks
d

For each range the ordering of 1/x, 2x and x^2 is different.

If 0<x<1, the least value is x^2;

If 1<x<2, the greatest value is 2x (\frac{1}{x}<x^2<2x) --> no option has such ordering;

If 2<x, the greatest value is x^2 (\frac{1}{x}<2x<x^2) no option has such ordering.

So, we should consider 0<x<1 range (where x^2 is the smallest) and find whether x^2<2x<1/x and x^2<1/x<2x could be true.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: If x is positive, which of the following could be the   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 00:27