Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2016, 03:49
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 371
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 203 [1] , given: 0

If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 12:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:10) correct 47% (01:04) wrong based on 424 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that \(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\)?

(1) T is a set of 8 integers.
(2) T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1820
Location: New York
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 748 [0], given: 5

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 12:35
vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive



1/4x - 5 <=0
x<=20
1) T is a set of 8 integers
Can be any 8 integers >20 or can be any integers <20..

insuffcient.
2) {1,2,...25}

probablity = 20/25

B is the answer.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1888
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 530 [3] , given: 32

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 14:26
3
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer is E.

First the inequality simplifies to x <= 20.
1/4x - 5 <=0
1/4x <= 5
4*(1/4x) <= 4*5
x <= 20

We need to know what the options are in set T before we know the probability of selecting a value for x that is <= 20.

vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
This doesn't give us enough information. We know the total number, but all numbers in Set T could be greater than 20 thus giving us probability of 0, or they could all be less than 20 giving us a probability of 1, or anything in between. INSUFFICIENT
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive
INSUFFICIENT. We need to know how many of the integers in the set of integers from 1 to 25 make up T. since we do not know this, we do not know the total number of integers in the pool, and since some integers are higher than 20, some will satisfy the inequality and others will not. Once we know how many integers we would need to know which ones make up T.

TOGETHER: Insufficient. Together we know that T consists of 8 integers from 1 to 25, but because we could have all that are <= 20 and probability would be 1, or we could include any number of integers from 21 to 25 inclusive thus giving us many different probability values.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 15:23
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive

Simplifying the question, we get, x<=20; From the choices, can we find if x<=20?
Choice 1: No
Choice 2: No
Combined: No

So, the answer is E.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 518
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 0

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 04:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive


E.

(1) Insufficient

Could be any set of 8 integers. Tells us nothing.

(2) Insufficient

Does not tell us how many and/or what numbers comprise T.
T could = {1,2,3,4), where probability = 1
T could = {1,2,3,25}, where probability = 3/4

(1) and (2) Insufficient
Tells us how many integers are in T but does not tells us which integers are in T.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1820
Location: New York
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 748 [0], given: 5

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 06:46
zoinnk wrote:
vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive


E.

(1) Insufficient

Could be any set of 8 integers. Tells us nothing.

(2) Insufficient

Does not tell us how many and/or what numbers comprise T.
T could = {1,2,3,4), where probability = 1
T could = {1,2,3,25}, where probability = 3/4

(1) and (2) Insufficient
Tells us how many integers are in T but does not tells us which integers are in T.


Thanks everyone.. I agree with E

2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive

I missed the highlighted part.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2010
Posts: 135
Location: Tx
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 02:46
x2suresh wrote:
vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive



1/4x - 5 <=0
x<=20
1) T is a set of 8 integers
Can be any 8 integers >20 or can be any integers <20..

insuffcient.
2) {1,2,...25}

probablity = 20/25

B is the answer.


I defininetly agree with you however OA is E,

it is written from 1 to 25 so it means t= (1,2,3,4...23,24,25) why it is not B couldnt understand...

Bunuel Can you check and help us plz?
_________________

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 34092
Followers: 6097

Kudos [?]: 76702 [2] , given: 9981

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fatihaysu wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
vksunder wrote:
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive



1/4x - 5 <=0
x<=20
1) T is a set of 8 integers
Can be any 8 integers >20 or can be any integers <20..

insuffcient.
2) {1,2,...25}

probablity = 20/25

B is the answer.


I defininetly agree with you however OA is E,

it is written from 1 to 25 so it means t= (1,2,3,4...23,24,25) why it is not B couldnt understand...

Bunuel Can you check and help us plz?


First of all: 1/4x - 5 <=0 should be written as 1/4*x - 5 <=0.

1. If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that \(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\)?

\(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\) --> is \(x\leq{20}\)?

(1) T is a set of 8 integers. Clearly insufficient.
(2) T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Though the wording is a little bit strange but it means that set T is a subset of a set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Set T can be {1,5,7} or {21,22,25}... Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) T can be set of 8 integers, which are ALL less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})=1\) or T can be set of 8 integers which are NOT ALL all less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})<1\). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

You should spotted that there was something wrong with your approach as (1) say that T is a set of 8 integers and if (2) says that T is a set of integers from 1 to 25 inclusive, so set of 25 integers (as you suggested) then it would mean that statements contradict each other and on GMAT two statements never contradict.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2010
Posts: 135
Location: Tx
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:43
Good tip about contradiction bunuel, whatever I asked you,you are perfect on it buddy I think you should write a book,

If you don't mind What was your GMAT score?
_________________

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 21:39
This is why I like the contradiction, one statement can hint at the parameters or bounds. If I had looked at statement 2 first, I probably would have forgotten about the limit that the number of the set is not yet defined. But you look at the other statement, and see they limit the set to 8 digits, and it sets off a lightbulb in my head. If the set had 1 number or 25 numbers, would give different answers.
_________________

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2011, 11:11
If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?
x<= 20

1. T is a set of 8 integers
2. T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive

St.1 [IS] set of the same integers? integers less than 20? negative integers?
St.2 [IS] 1-25 inclusive maybe all the integers are the same no. 25 or no. 10

With both, you can conclude that there is a set of 8 integers between the no. 1-25 inclusive. They can still be all the same integers or all int less than 20 or all int greater than 20 or consist of random proportion of int greater/less than 20. Therefore you can not conclude a definite answer so ---> (E)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 18:52
some people (like myself) thought that 1/4x is 1/(4x). In this case B is the answer with a probability of 1. Otherwise the answer is E
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 34092
Followers: 6097

Kudos [?]: 76702 [0], given: 9981

Re: If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:12
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 62
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 01:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Solving the equation for x : 1/4x – 5 <= 0

(x – 20)/4 <= 0

x – 20 <=0

x <= 20,hence the question can be reframed as,what is the probability that x <= 20?


Stmt 1 : T is a set of 8 integers – here x could be any integer so it could be <20 or = 20 or > 20

Since we can not arrive at a definite answer,this statement is insufficient



Stmt 2 : T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive

Here again,x could be any integer so it could be <20 or = 20 or > 20

Since we can not arrive at a definite answer,this statement is insufficient



Both : x could be any integer so it could be <20 or = 20 or > 20

Since we can not arrive at a definite answer,both statements are insufficient
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 05:46
Bunuel wrote:
f x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?


First of all: 1/4x - 5 <=0 should be written as 1/4*x - 5 <=0.

1. If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that \(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\)?

\(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\) --> is \(x\leq{20}\)?

(1) T is a set of 8 integers. Clearly insufficient.
(2) T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Though the wording is a little bit strange but it means that set T is a subset of a set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Set T can be {1,5,7} or {21,22,25}... Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) T can be set of 8 integers, which are ALL less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})=1\) or T can be set of 8 integers which are NOT ALL all less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})<1\). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

You should spotted that there was something wrong with your approach as (1) say that T is a set of 8 integers and if (2) says that T is a set of integers from 1 to 25 inclusive, so set of 25 integers (as you suggested) then it would mean that statements contradict each other and on GMAT two statements never contradict.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,

Is it not possible to arrive at the answer by combining the two statements? Theoretically, we can identify all the subsets of 8 integers from 1 to 25, find the probability of X>=20 in all those subsets and add those probabilities.

What is wrong in my approach here?

Thank you.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 34092
Followers: 6097

Kudos [?]: 76702 [0], given: 9981

Re: DS: probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 05:55
Expert's post
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
f x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?


First of all: 1/4x - 5 <=0 should be written as 1/4*x - 5 <=0.

1. If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that \(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\)?

\(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\) --> is \(x\leq{20}\)?

(1) T is a set of 8 integers. Clearly insufficient.
(2) T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Though the wording is a little bit strange but it means that set T is a subset of a set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Set T can be {1,5,7} or {21,22,25}... Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) T can be set of 8 integers, which are ALL less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})=1\) or T can be set of 8 integers which are NOT ALL all less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})<1\). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

You should spotted that there was something wrong with your approach as (1) say that T is a set of 8 integers and if (2) says that T is a set of integers from 1 to 25 inclusive, so set of 25 integers (as you suggested) then it would mean that statements contradict each other and on GMAT two statements never contradict.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,

Is it not possible to arrive at the answer by combining the two statements? Theoretically, we can identify all the subsets of 8 integers from 1 to 25, find the probability of X>=20 in all those subsets and add those probabilities.

What is wrong in my approach here?

Thank you.


When a DS question asks to find some value, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value.

Since we cannot get the single numerical value of the probability alsed, thee the answer is E.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2014
Posts: 23
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 17:25
Bunuel wrote:
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
f x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that 1/4x - 5 <=0?


First of all: 1/4x - 5 <=0 should be written as 1/4*x - 5 <=0.

1. If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probability that \(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\)?

\(\frac{1}{4}*x-5\leq{0}\) --> is \(x\leq{20}\)?

(1) T is a set of 8 integers. Clearly insufficient.
(2) T is contained in the set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Though the wording is a little bit strange but it means that set T is a subset of a set of integers from 1 to 25, inclusive. Set T can be {1,5,7} or {21,22,25}... Also insufficient.

(1)+(2) T can be set of 8 integers, which are ALL less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})=1\) or T can be set of 8 integers which are NOT ALL all less than or equal to 20 and in this case \(P(x\leq{20})<1\). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

You should spotted that there was something wrong with your approach as (1) say that T is a set of 8 integers and if (2) says that T is a set of integers from 1 to 25 inclusive, so set of 25 integers (as you suggested) then it would mean that statements contradict each other and on GMAT two statements never contradict.

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,

Is it not possible to arrive at the answer by combining the two statements? Theoretically, we can identify all the subsets of 8 integers from 1 to 25, find the probability of X>=20 in all those subsets and add those probabilities.

What is wrong in my approach here?

Thank you.


When a DS question asks to find some value, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value.

Since we cannot get the single numerical value of the probability alsed, thee the answer is E.

Hope it's clear.



Bunuel,

I find myself in the same position as Keenys'.

Won't we get a single numerical value though if we do identify all the subsets and add all those "OR" possibilities?

Or the reason why this approach is wrong is that the question asks us for the probability of getting an x from a subset T that is supposed to be "fixed," not variable? And for this reason, we cannot get a single numerical value since we can have multiple possibilities for the subset T?

Thank you.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 2930
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 2407 [0], given: 1835

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 22:59
Expert's post
francoimps wrote:
Bunuel,

I find myself in the same position as Keenys'.

Won't we get a single numerical value though if we do identify all the subsets and add all those "OR" possibilities?

Or the reason why this approach is wrong is that the question asks us for the probability of getting an x from a subset T that is supposed to be "fixed," not variable? And for this reason, we cannot get a single numerical value since we can have multiple possibilities for the subset T?

Thank you.


I don't think it is possible to arrive at single answer with the information given by the statements.

Both statements together tell us that T is a subset of 8 integers of superset of 25 integers starting from 1 to 25

So we can easily create a few subsets of 8 integers that give is different probabilities.
Subset 1 -------> 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ---------> Probability of x being <= 20 is 1
Subset 2 --------> 1,2,8,10,21,22,24,25 -------> Probability of x being <= 20 is 0.5
Subset 3 --------> 25,25,25,25,25,25,25,25 --------> Probability of x being <= 20 is 0 (Note that we are not told that the integers in set of 8 integers are all distinct)
_________________

MBA Rankings | Admission Deadlines | BSchool Adcom Chats | Applicant Status Tracker - Real Time Updates

Executive MBA | Part Time MBA | MBA Applicant Blogs | MBA Student Blogs

Impact of GMAT Score on Your Admission Chances
Special Scholarships and Fellowships Awarded at Top BSchools
Best Admissions Consulting Companies
Business School Reviews - Real and Verified
Global Map of Business Schools
From GMATClub MBA Guide - How to Start Researching Business Schools!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 10624
Followers: 496

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 12:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2016, 12:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic One number, n, is selected at random from a set of 10 integers. What Bunuel 1 19 May 2016, 03:29
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic If b is selected at random from Set A, what is the probability that b Bunuel 5 09 Feb 2015, 06:33
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If a pencil is selected at random from a desk drawer, what sunita123 3 14 Jul 2014, 14:23
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic If a bottle is to be selected at random from a certain banksy 3 26 Feb 2011, 17:42
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If a light bulb is selected at random from a shipment, what Economist 10 25 Oct 2009, 05:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x is to be selected at random from T, what is the probabi

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.