Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [124]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [48]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [19]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x ≠ -y is (x - y)/(x + y) > 1? (1) x > 0 (2) y < 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
This is my first post to GMATCLUB & this is how i do it.

is (x-y)/ (x + y) > 1?
==>is x-y>x+y
==>boils down to ..is y<0?
and does not depend on x at all

so ans is (B)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
\(\frac{x-y}{x+y}>1\) ---> \(\frac{x+y-2y}{x+y}>1\) ---> \(1 - \frac{2y}{x+y}>1\) ---->

\(\frac{y}{x+y}<0\)

Even if both statements are right, x+y could be either positive or negative. So, E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Correct..my bad!!

But i don't understand how this assumption is incorrect?

(x-y)/ (x + y) > 1
==> x-y>x+y

I was able to conclude to E only after substituting numbers

There must be a faster way!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Rephrasing the question
\(\frac{(x-y)}{(x+y)} > 1\)
\((x-y) > (x+y)\) , Since x <> -y, we can multiply (x+y) both sides
Adding -x both sides
-y > y
Adding y both sides
0 > y , which is y < 0, given by statement 2, so why Answer is E(both together not sufficient)? Am I missing something?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
thirst4edu wrote:
Rephrasing the question
\(\frac{(x-y)}{(x+y)} > 1\)
\((x-y) > (x+y)\) , Since x <> -y, we can multiply (x+y) both sides
Adding -x both sides
-y > y
Adding y both sides
0 > y , which is y < 0, given by statement 2, so why Answer is E(both together not sufficient)? Am I missing something?

What you did is only true is (x+y)>0.
If you multiply both sides of an inequality with a number, the sign remains same if the number or expression is positive, whereas it flips if it is negative.

A counter example to show answer is indeed (e) is taking x=5 and y=-20 ... you'll get 25/-15 = -5/3 which is less than 1 ... on the other hand x=5 & y=-1 would get you 6/4 which is greater than 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel, that explains it perfectly
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [11]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
whichscore wrote:
if x is different from -y, in (x-y)/(x+y) greater than 1 ?
1. x > 0
2. y< 0

Even though fluke has already provided the detailed solution, there are a couple of points I would like to reinforce here.

People often get confused when they read 'if x is different from -y'. Why do they give this information? They do that because you have (x+y) in the denominator and hence it cannot be 0. That is, x + y = 0 or x = -y is not valid. Hence, they are just clarifying that the fraction is indeed defined.

Also, we are used to having 0 on the right of an inequality. What do we do when we have a 1? We take the 1 to the left hand side and get a 0 on the right.
Is \(\frac{(x-y)}{(x+y)} > 1\)? (Don't forget it is a question, not given information)
Is \(\frac{(x-y)}{(x+y)} - 1 > 0\)?
which simplifies to: Is y/(x+y) < 0 ?

We know how to deal with this inequality! Note here that we have no information about x and y as yet (except that x is not equal to -y which is more of a technical issue rather than actual information)

1. x > 0
No information about y so not sufficient.
2. y< 0
No information about x so not sufficient.

Both together, we know that y is negative. We need the sign of (x+y) now. But (x+y) may be positive or negative depending on whether x or y has greater absolute value. Hence not sufficient.
Answer (E)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MackyCee wrote:
From OG11...

Q139) if "x" is not equal to "-y", is x-y / x+y > 1?

(1) X > 0
(2) Y < 0

We know that we cannot multiply an inequality by an unknown if we don't know whether the unknown is a positive value or a negative value. The inequality behaves differently in the two cases. If the unknown is positive, the inequality stays as it is. If the unknown is negative, the inequality flips sign.
Therefore, x-y > x+y is not an option.
Next, '>1' is much more complicated that '>0' where we just need to consider whether the variables are positive or negative. Therefore, bring whatever is on the right hand side to the left hand side.

Question: Is \(\frac{(x - y)}{(x + y)} > 1\)
Is \(\frac{(x - y)}{(x + y)} - 1 > 0\)
Is \(\frac{-2y}{(x + y)} > 0\)

For this expression to be positive, y/(x+y) should be negative. Therefore, either 'y should be negative and (x+y) should be positive' or 'y should be positive and (x+y) should be negative'.

Statement 1: X > 0
No info about y so not sufficient.
Statement 2: Y < 0
No info about x so not sufficient.

Both together, we know that y is negative. We now need to know the sign of (x+y). Just knowing that x is positive doesn't tell us the sign of (x+y) because we don't know which one out of x and y has greater absolute value. If absolute value of x is greater than that of y, x+y is positive. If absolute value of x is less than that of y, x+y is negative. We do not know the sign of x+y so we still cannot say whether \(\frac{-2y}{(x + y)}\) is positive. Not sufficient.
Answer E.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RaviChandra wrote:
If x is not equal to –y, is (x – y) / (x + y) > 1?
(1) x > 0 (2) y < 0

Working with 1 on the right hand side is hard. It is better in case we have 0 on the right hand side.

Is (x – y) / (x + y) - 1 > 0 ?
Is -2y/(x+y) > 0 ?

For -2y/(x+y) to be positive, either both (-2y) and (x+y) should be positive or both should be negative.

Both (-2y) and (x+y) positive
y should be negative and x should be positive with greater absolute value than that of y (so that x+y is positive)
OR
Both (-2y) and (x+y) negative
y should be positive and x should be negative with greater absolute value than that of y (so that x+y is negative)

Both statements together tell us that x is positive and y is negative but they still do not tell us whether absolute value of x is greater than that of y. Hence, both statements together are not sufficient.

Answer (E)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Responding to a pm:

Question: Is (x -y)/(x+y) >1?

What do you do when you are given >1 ? It is hard to find implications of '>1'. It is much easier to handle '>0'

Is \(\frac{(x -y)}{(x+y)} -1 > 0\) ?
Is \(\frac{-2y}{(x+y)} > 0\) ?

When will this be positive? In 2 cases:
1. When y is negative and (x+y) is positive i.e. x is positive and x has greater absolute value than y's absolute value.
2. When y is positive and (x+y) is negative i.e. x is negative and x has greater absolute value than y's absolute value.

Both statements together tell us that y is negative and x is positive but we don't know whether 'x's absolute value is greater than y's absolute value'.
Hence (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
in your explanation i just dont see the progression how the "1-" goes away and we change the numerator to "x+y-x+y" to arrive at 2y
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bsmith37 wrote:
in your explanation i just dont see the progression how the "1-" goes away and we change the numerator to "x+y-x+y" to arrive at 2y

\(1-\frac{x-y}{x+y}\);

\(\frac{x+y}{x+y}-\frac{x-y}{x+y}\);

\(\frac{(x+y)-(x-y)}{x+y}\);

\(\frac{2y}{x+y}\).
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM