Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 477 [2] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (03:08) correct 60% (02:07) wrong based on 114 sessions
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 12:47
Hussain15 wrote:
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

It will be great to see how do you guys approach this lethal one.

Given x > 2y. Have to substantiate if 3x + 2y < 18.

Stmt-1: x < 2 + y.
Keep substituting different values for y, we get ranges for x based on the stimulus condition and this statement, substitute these different values and we notice that certain values are applicable while many others aren't applicable to substantiate the posed question. Therefore, NS.

Stmt-2: can be rephrased as x > y - 2.
Do the same method as above, same situation, no definitive answer. Therefore, NS.

combining both the statements, still substituting all possible values for y and deriving ranges for x, we can't really substantiate the given equation.

My answer is E. I wonder if there is a simpler way of solving problems of this kind. I used the brute force approach of substituting valid numbers for y and ended up getting wierder ranges for x and again, choose something which accidentally would substantiate the equation and mostly certain other numbers that do not. Took me more than a 10 mins handling work simultaneously, and if such questions appear on the real deal, I might as well give up on GMAT and pursue a PhD in Pure Math.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25042 [7] , given: 2702

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hussain15 wrote:
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

I would solve this question with graphic approach, by drawing the lines. With this approach you will "see" that the answer is A. But we can do it with algebra as well.

\frac{x}{y}>2 tells us that x and y are either both positive or both negative, which means that all points (x,y) satisfying given inequality are either in I or III quadrant. When they are both negative (in III quadrant) inequality 3x+2y<18 is always true, so we should check only for I quadrant, or when both x and y are positive.

In I quadrant, as x and y are both positive, we can rewrite \frac{x}{y}>2 as x>2y>0 (remember x>0 and y>0).

So basically question becomes: If x>0 and y>0 and x>2y>0, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y<2.

Subtract inequalities x>2y and x-y<2 (we can do this as signs are in opposite direction) --> x-(x-y)>2y-2 --> y<2.

Now add inequalities x-y<2 and y<2 (we can do this as signs are in the same direction) --> x-y+y<2+2 --> x<4.

We got y<2 and x<4. If we take maximum values x=4 and y=2 and substitute in 3x+2y<18, we'll get 12+4=16<18.

Sufficient.

(2) y-x<2 and x>2y:
x=3 and y=1 --> 3x+2y=11<18 true.
x=11 and y=5 --> 3x+2y=43<18 false.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 157

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 21:35
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

I would solve this question with graphic approach, by drawing the lines. With this approach you will "see" that the answer is A. But we can do it with algebra as well.

x/y>2 tells us that x and y are either both positive or both negative, which means that all points (x,y) satisfying given inequality are in I or III quadrants. When they are both negative (in III quadrant) inequality 3x+2y<18 is always true, so we should check only for I quadrant.

In I quadrant x and y are both positive and we can rewrite x/y>2 as x>2y>0 (remember x>0 and y>0).

(1) x-y<2.

Subtract inequalities x>2y and x-y<2 (we can do this as signs are in opposite direction) --> x-(x-y)>2y-2 --> y<2.

Now add inequalities x-y<2 and y<2 (we can do this as signs are in the same direction) --> x-y+y<2+2 --> x<4.

We got y<2 and x<4. If we take maximum values x=4 and y=2 and substitute in 3x+2y<18, we'll get 12+4=12<18.

Sufficient.

(2) y-x<2 and x>2y:
Not sufficient.

OA is "A". Thanks for detailed answer.

You have plugged the numbers in option 2, can it be done algeberically??

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25042 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hussain15 wrote:
OA is "A". Thanks for detailed answer.

You have plugged the numbers in option 2, can it be done algeberically??

For (2) we have:
y-2<x and
0<2y<x.

We'll be able to find the pair of (x,y) when 3x+2y<18 holds true and also when 3x+2y<18 doesn't hold true. As the lower limits for (x,y) is zero (x and y can take very small values ensuring 3x+2y<18 to hold true) and there is no upper limit for this pair (x and y can take huge values ensuring 3x+2y<18 not to hold true).

This question is quite hard and I really think that the best way to solve it is by drawing the lines OR by number plugging.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 3x+2y<18? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 10:50
neoreaves wrote:
If x/y >2, is 3x+2y<18?

1. x-y is less than 2
2. y-x is less than 2

Nice explanation bunnel... thanks

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
I spent 5 min for this question with incorrect ans .. There was no way I could have solved this question .. Very nice explanation Brunel ..

But I failed to understand the theory of addition and substraction for equalities with same sign and opposite signs respective .. Can you pls throw some light ..
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25042 [2] , given: 2702

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sandeepuc wrote:
I spent 5 min for this question with incorrect ans .. There was no way I could have solved this question .. Very nice explanation Brunel ..

But I failed to understand the theory of addition and substraction for equalities with same sign and opposite signs respective .. Can you pls throw some light ..

You can only add inequalities when their signs are in the same direction:

If a>b and c>d (signs in same direction: > and >) --> a+c>b+d.
Example: 3<4 and 2<5 --> 3+2<4+5.

You can only apply subtraction when their signs are in the opposite directions:

If a>b and c<d (signs in opposite direction: > and <) --> a-c>b-d (take the sign of the inequality you subtract from).
Example: 3<4 and 5>1 --> 3-5<4-1.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 05:07
great explanation Bunuel
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 14:26
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

\frac{x}{y}>2 tells us that x and y are either both positive or both negative, which means that all points (x,y) satisfying given inequality are either in I or III quadrant. When they are both negative (in III quadrant) inequality 3x+2y<18 is always true, so we should check only for I quadrant, or when both x and y are positive.

In I quadrant, as x and y are both positive, we can rewrite \frac{x}{y}>2 as x>2y>0 (remember x>0 and y>0).

So basically question becomes: If x>0 and y>0 and x>2y>0, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y<2.

We got y<2 and x<4. If we take maximum values x=4 and y=2 and substitute in 3x+2y<18, we'll get 12+4=16<18.

Sufficient.

(2) y-x<2 and x>2y:

Not sufficient.

+1 already for a great explanation.

Follow-up question: Would you mind detailing a graphical approach to this problem? I haven't taken a math course in 7 years so am a little rusty. Knowing how to solve such problems with a graph seems like it would be very useful.

HBS Class of 2014

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25042 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alphastrike wrote:

+1 already for a great explanation.

Follow-up question: Would you mind detailing a graphical approach to this problem? I haven't taken a math course in 7 years so am a little rusty. Knowing how to solve such problems with a graph seems like it would be very useful.

Great post by Walker about the graphic approach: graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html

Interestingly he uses this same question for explanation.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 10:30
Excellent explanations by Brunel (algebra) and Walker (graph).. Kudos to both of you...

-------------------------------------
Please give kudos, if my post is helpful.

For English Grammar tips, consider visiting http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/index.html.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 01:16
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for the wonderful explanation.
But in the actual exam when you have the clock ticking, how do we decide whether to try plugging in numbers or try solving it using algebra.I am not sure if there is any definite strategy for this but any inputs from your experience will help.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '14 (S)
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 23:19
Given x/y > 2.
i. x-y < 2: for this to be possible x and y have to be negative. Now since x and y are both negative, the equation in question will always result in a negative number. Hence, SUFFICIENT.

ii. y-x <2: For this to be possible x and y have to be positive. Now since x and y both are positive and x-y>-2, multiple solutions exist. Hence, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Therefore, answer is A.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25042 [0], given: 2702

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 04:54
Expert's post
sunnyarora wrote:
Given x/y > 2.
i. x-y < 2: for this to be possible x and y have to be negative. Now since x and y are both negative, the equation in question will always result in a negative number. Hence, SUFFICIENT.

ii. y-x <2: For this to be possible x and y have to be positive. Now since x and y both are positive and x-y>-2, multiple solutions exist. Hence, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Therefore, answer is A.

OA for this question is A, but your reasoning is not correct:

For (1) x=2>0 and y=0.5>0 satisfy both \frac{x}{y}>2 and x-y<2, so x and y can be positive as well.

For (2) x=-2<0 and y=-0.5>0 satisfy both \frac{x}{y}>2 and y-x<2, so x and y can be negative as well.

Solution for this problem is in earlier posts.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough Inequality Challange [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 07:08
we can solve just drawing th elines in geometric terms ,...
for condition 1...draw lines of x>2y and x-y<2 and check the area whether it is lying below the line 3x+2y<18

same can be done for second condition

Bunuel wrote:
sunnyarora wrote:
Given x/y > 2.

Therefore, answer is A.

OA for this question is A, but your reasoning is not correct:

For (1) x=2>0 and y=0.5>0 satisfy both \frac{x}{y}>2 and x-y<2, so x and y can be positive as well.

For (2) x=-2<0 and y=-0.5>0 satisfy both \frac{x}{y}>2 and y-x<2, so x and y can be negative as well.

Solution for this problem is in earlier posts.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 14:47
i followed the exact same procedure except at the very end. i tend to have problems switching back/forth between doing algebra, then stepping back and using logic, or stepping back and plugging numbers. in fact, I think a lot of the mistakes I make when I take the exam is trying to switch between techniques.

my problem stem
3x+2y<18 ==> is x < 18/3 -2y/3 ==> is x < 6 - 2y/3?

for (1). negative values of x/y are already sufficient, so these are for positive x and positive y

- first i try to isolate x because i took the problem stem and isolated x

x/y > 2 ==> x > 2*y

x -y < 2 ==> x < 2 + y

therefore

2* y < x < 2 + y

in order for the bolded problem stem to be true then the below must be true. x < 2+ y but is x < 6 - 2y/3?

2 + y <= 6 - 2y/3

y + 2y/3 <= 4
5y/3 <= 4
y <= 12/5
y <= 2 and 2/5
if the above is true then we know we are OK

then take that inequality with x in the middle and relate the y part only

2*y < 2+y
therefore
y < 2

so y < 2 shows that it is certainly <= 2 and 2/5
SVP
SVP
Followers: 185

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 21:09
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 09:19
Hi Bunuel,

Thank you for the great solution.
With regards to using graphs to solving the problem, do we get a grid kind of pad to be able to plot accurately and with ease?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25042 [0], given: 2702

Re: If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 04:48
Expert's post
startafresh wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Thank you for the great solution.
With regards to using graphs to solving the problem, do we get a grid kind of pad to be able to plot accurately and with ease?

This is what the scratchpad and pen in the test center will look like:
Attachment:
GMAT_Scratchpad.jpg
GMAT_Scratchpad.jpg [ 480.53 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
Remember, in the GMAT testing center the scratch paper that is provided is laminated and you are given a sharp-tip erasable marker to use.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18? (1) x-y is less than 2 (2)   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 04:48