Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: If (x+y)^2 = (x+y^2)^2, what is the value of y? [#permalink]
Thank you Ccooley ,Archit3110 answer above got me wondering where I actually went wrong .Used almost Two pages of my book canceling and solving :-D
ccooley wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If \((x+y)^2 = (x+y^2)^2\), what is the value of y?

(1) \(x = y^2\)

(2) \(xy^2 = 0\)

Lots of algebra, so let's simplify the given info in the question before we dive in.

\((x+y)^2 = (x+y^2)^2\)

This can mean two different things, because negative and positive numbers become the same when they're squared. Since we don't know whether the expressions were positive or negative in the first place, we have to think about both possibilities. Here's the first possibility:

\(x+y = x+y^2\)

\(y = y^2\)

y = 0 or 1

When is this true? Only when x + y and x + y^2 have the same sign. In other words, only when y and y^2 have the same sign, which happens when y is non-negative.

Here's the second possibility, which happens when y is negative:

\(-(x+y) = x + y^2\)

\(-x - y = x + y^2\)

\(-2x = y^2 + y\)

In this case, the value of y would depend on the value of x.

So, here's where we stand as far as finding the value of y. If y is non-negative, then y will be either 0 or 1. However, if y is negative, then we don't know much about the value of y, but we do have an equation for it.

Statement 1:

\(x = y^2\)

This is definitely not sufficient. It doesn't tell us whether y is positive or negative, for starters. It also doesn't let us tell the difference between the y = 0 and y = 1 cases. (Note that x = y = 0 and x = y = 1 both fit this statement and the given info, so the question has at least two different answers.)

Statement 2:

\(xy^2 = 0\)

Okay, that's interesting! If the product of two values is 0, then at least one of those values needs to be 0. So, either x = 0 (and y could be anything), or y^2 = 0 (and x could be anything.) We don't know which.

Again, try some easy cases: x = y = 0 works and fits all the info we have. x = 0, y = 1 also works and fits all the info we have. Two different answers, so it's insufficient.

Statements 1 and 2 together:

We know two things: x = y^2, and xy^2 = 0. When will this happen? Well, for the second statement, either x has to be 0, or y^2 has to be 0.

However, they're equal, so they BOTH have to be zero!

So, x = y = 0. The value of y can be found, so the statements are sufficient together and the answer is C.

You can get to the same place with algebra only, but it involves working with some 4th and 3rd powers, which isn't very fun...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Staphyk
yeah i did mistake initially .. :| . edited now thanks ccooley

Staphyk wrote:
Thank you Ccooley ,Archit3110 answer above got me wondering where I actually went wrong .Used almost Two pages of my book canceling and solving :-D
ccooley wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If \((x+y)^2 = (x+y^2)^2\), what is the value of y?

(1) \(x = y^2\)

(2) \(xy^2 = 0\)

Lots of algebra, so let's simplify the given info in the question before we dive in.

\((x+y)^2 = (x+y^2)^2\)

This can mean two different things, because negative and positive numbers become the same when they're squared. Since we don't know whether the expressions were positive or negative in the first place, we have to think about both possibilities. Here's the first possibility:

\(x+y = x+y^2\)

\(y = y^2\)

y = 0 or 1

When is this true? Only when x + y and x + y^2 have the same sign. In other words, only when y and y^2 have the same sign, which happens when y is non-negative.

Here's the second possibility, which happens when y is negative:

\(-(x+y) = x + y^2\)

\(-x - y = x + y^2\)

\(-2x = y^2 + y\)

In this case, the value of y would depend on the value of x.

So, here's where we stand as far as finding the value of y. If y is non-negative, then y will be either 0 or 1. However, if y is negative, then we don't know much about the value of y, but we do have an equation for it.

Statement 1:

\(x = y^2\)

This is definitely not sufficient. It doesn't tell us whether y is positive or negative, for starters. It also doesn't let us tell the difference between the y = 0 and y = 1 cases. (Note that x = y = 0 and x = y = 1 both fit this statement and the given info, so the question has at least two different answers.)

Statement 2:

\(xy^2 = 0\)

Okay, that's interesting! If the product of two values is 0, then at least one of those values needs to be 0. So, either x = 0 (and y could be anything), or y^2 = 0 (and x could be anything.) We don't know which.

Again, try some easy cases: x = y = 0 works and fits all the info we have. x = 0, y = 1 also works and fits all the info we have. Two different answers, so it's insufficient.

Statements 1 and 2 together:

We know two things: x = y^2, and xy^2 = 0. When will this happen? Well, for the second statement, either x has to be 0, or y^2 has to be 0.

However, they're equal, so they BOTH have to be zero!

So, x = y = 0. The value of y can be found, so the statements are sufficient together and the answer is C.

You can get to the same place with algebra only, but it involves working with some 4th and 3rd powers, which isn't very fun...

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts