Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [7] , given: 29

If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:11) correct 56% (01:01) wrong based on 882 sessions
If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be true?

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. 1 and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
18 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3726

Kudos [?]: 31044 [18] , given: 3268

Re: x > y^2 > z^4 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

As this is a COULD be true question then even one set of numbers proving that statement holds true is enough to say that this statement should be part of correct answer choice.

Given: x > y^2 > z^4.

1. x>y>z --> the easiest one: if x=100, y=2 and z=1 --> this set satisfies x > y^2 > z^4 as well as given statement x>y>z. So 1 COULD be true.

2. z>y>x --> we have reverse order than in stem (x > y^2 > z^4), so let's try fractions: if x=\frac{1}{5}, y=\frac{1}{4} and z=\frac{1}{3} then again the stem and this statement hold true. So 2 also COULD be true.

3. x>z>y --> let's make x some big number, let's say 1,000. Next, let's try the fractions for z and y for the same reason as above (reverse order of y and z): y=\frac{1}{3} and z=\frac{1}{2}. The stem and this statement hold true for this set of numbers. So 3 also COULD be true.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1180

Kudos [?]: 5619 [8] , given: 166

Re: GMAT Prep1 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

which of the following is true:

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

I think the actual question is: Which of the following could be true?

Plugging in numbers work best for such questions. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should plug in the right numbers. How do you know the right numbers?
When I see x > y^2 > z^4, I think that y^2 and z^4 are non negative. Since y^2 > z^4, y^2 cannot be 0. Only z can be 0. x has to be positive. Also, I have to take into account two ranges: 0 to 1 and 1 to infinity. The powers behave differently in these two ranges. I will consider negative numbers only if I have to since with powers, they get confusing to deal with.

The question says: "Which of the following could be true?"
We have to find examples where each relation holds.

I. x > y > z
This is the most intuitive of course.
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
2 > 1^2 > 0^4

II. z > y > x
Let me consider the 0 to 1 range here. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1/4
1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16

III. x > z > y
Let's stick to 0 to 1 range. z > y as in case II above but x has to be greater than both of them. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1
1>1/9 > 1/16

So all three statements could be true.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31044 [2] , given: 3268

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H

Plug-in method is really the best way to handle such kind of questions. No need to look for some kind of textbook or algebraic ways.

Notice that there are are certain GMAT questions which are pretty much only solvable with plug-in or trial and error methods (well at leas in 2-3 minutes). Many difficult inequality problems will often require some sort of plug-ins, as part of your technique or else you'll spend too much time solving them with algebra. Which means that you MUST make plug-in methods part of your arsenal if you want to get a decent score.

Inequality questions to practice.
DS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

Hope it helps.

P.S. I'm not sure understood the following part of your post: "how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work.. "

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Agree its a super tricky problem. I was so focused on the 0-1 range for x,y & z that forgot that for statement 3 you could have larger numbers :-(

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31044 [1] , given: 3268

Re: x > y^2 > z^4 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SaramiR wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

As this is a COULD be true question then even one set of numbers proving that statement holds true is enough to say that this statement should be part of correct answer choice.

1. x>y>z --> the easiest one: if x=100, y=2 and z=1 --> this set satisfies x > y^2 > z^4 as well as given statement x>y>z. So 1 COULD be true.

2. z>y>x --> we have reverse order than in stem (x > y^2 > z^4), so let's try fractions: if x=\frac{1}{5}, y=\frac{1}{4} and z=\frac{1}{3} then again the stem and this statement hold true. So 2 also COULD be true.

3. x>z>y --> let's make x some big number, let's say 1,000. Next, let's try the fractions for z and y for the same reason as above (reverse order of y and z): y=\frac{1}{3} and z=\frac{1}{2}. The stem and this statement hold true for this set of numbers. So 3 also COULD be true.

Isn't it stated in the exam that assume all numbers are integers? We can't try fractions unless they say they are not integers.

No that's not true at all. All numbers on the test represent real numbers: Integers, Fractions and Irrational Numbers. You cannot assume a variable is integer if you are not explicitly told so.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 11:11
I agree with E. Last one was tricky but once you realize that y and z could be fractions it becomes clear. took less than a minute but still a good question to make sure your reasoning is solid
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 136

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 01:31
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 136

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 03:01
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

Plugging in numbers work best for such questions. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should plug in the right numbers. How do you know the right numbers?
When I see x > y^2 > z^4, I think that y^2 and z^4 are non negative. Since y^2 > z^4, y^2 cannot be 0. Only z can be 0. x has to be positive. Also, I have to take into account two ranges: 0 to 1 and 1 to infinity. The powers behave differently in these two ranges. I will consider negative numbers only if I have to since with powers, they get confusing to deal with.

I. x > y > z
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
2 > 1^2 > 0^4

II. z > y > x
1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16

III. x > z > y
Let's stick to 0 to 1 range. z > y as in case II above but x has to be greater than both of them. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1
1>1/9 > 1/16

"

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 31044 [0], given: 3268

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 04:59
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"

First notice that since x>z^4 (x is greater than some nonnegative value) then x>0.

Now, as Karishma correctly noted, numbers in powers behave differently in the range {0. 1} and {1. +infinity}. For example:

If 0<a<1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 0--(a^4)--(a^2)--(a)--1

If a>1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 1--(a)--(a^2)--(a^4)--

So, we should take the above difference in ordering into account when picking numbers for x, y, and z, since we need to find the values which satisfy 3 different statements.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 00:05
So, Karishma, can it be said that any configuration of x, y and z COULD be true? Because we can always find fractions or integers which will satisfy.

6 configurations are possible, x>y>z, x>z>y, y>x>z, y>z>x, z>x>y and z>y>x. The answer choices in the question are the first, second and the last but I think any of these 6 configurations COULD be true.

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 9

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 11:48
Sorry to open up a new thread!

Bunuel, I was impressed from your geometric way to solve inequalities. I was trying this one but could not really figure out how? Would you mind giving us a geometric way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep1 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 19:04
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

I. x > y > z
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
2 > 1^2 > 0^4

II. z > y > x
1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16

III. x > z > y
1>1/9 > 1/16

Hey Karishma,

Can you please confirm if this type of solving is justified

As x>y^2>z^4. It can be inferred that x>y^2 and is true for both x>y and x<y (As we don't have any limitations for the three variables)
Also, y^2>z^4 which means y>z^2 and the inequality is valid for both y>z and y<z
Additionally, x>z^4, similar to prior cases x>z and z<x

So, x>y>z, z>y>x, x>z>y are all possible
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 9

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 06:23
You can not derive y>z^2 from y^2 > z^4. If y is -5 and z is 2, then y^2 = 25 which is greater than z^4 = 16, but you can't say y (-5) > then z^2 (4).
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 01:26
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 06:05
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. 1 and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

use plug in to get it quick

put x = 1/8, y = 1/4, z=,1/ 16
now keep on interchanging x,y, z
we get 1, 2, 3 all could be true => E
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:15
Restrictions are not provided on the variables so I planned to check different values I and used x=y=z=1/2.
As if I take 1/2 for each variables, its given condition would be satisfied and it will become 1/2>1/4>1/8.

So according to me none of the conditions are satisfied.
Am I doing anything wrong here?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:40
Expert's post
chetan86 wrote:
Restrictions are not provided on the variables so I planned to check different values I and used x=y=z=1/2.
As if I take 1/2 for each variables, its given condition would be satisfied and it will become 1/2>1/4>1/8.

Notice that the question asks "which of the following statements could be true" NOT "which of the following statements must be true"

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:58
Bunuel wrote:
chetan86 wrote:

Notice that the question asks "which of the following statements could be true" NOT "which of the following statements must be true"

Thanks Bunuel for identifying my mistake.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: x > y^2 > z^4 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 01:10
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

Isn't it stated in the exam that assume all numbers are integers? We can't try fractions unless they say they are not integers.
Re: x > y^2 > z^4   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2013, 01:10