Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If xy + z = z, is |x - y| > 0?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 190
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 9

If xy + z = z, is |x - y| > 0? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 00:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:43) correct 44% (01:01) wrong based on 197 sessions
If xy + z = z, is |x - y| > 0?

(1) x # 0 (Not equal to)
(2) y = 0

I dont understand... here why do we need any statement at all?? For whatever value of x-y, |x-y| will remain positive isnt it? Can some one explain?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23381
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28803 [6] , given: 2849

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 00:48
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amitjash wrote:
If xy+z=z, is |x-y|>0?
1. x# 0 (Not equal to)
2. Y= 0

I dont understand... here why do we need any statement at all?? For whatever value of x-y, |x-y| will remain positive isnt it? Can some one explain?


First of all: xy+z=z --> xy=0 --> x=0 or y=0 or both, x=y=0.

Next: absolute value is always non-negative |some \ expression|\geq{0}, so |x-y|\geq{0}. Question asks whether |x-y|>0, so basically question ask whether x=y=0, as only case when |x-y| is not more than zero is when it equals to zero, and this happens when x=y=0.

(1) x\neq{0} --> then y=0, so x\neq{y} --> |x-y|>0. Sufficient.

(2) y=0 --> if x=0 then |x-y|=0 and the answer to the question is NO, but if x\neq{0} then |x-y|>0 and the answer to the question is YES. Two different answers, hence not sufficient.

Answer: A.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 116
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 1

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 07:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi amitjash,

I guess we need to consider the case where X=Y then |x-y|= 0.

The statements are required to establish whether X=Y.
Actually the question is whether X=Y. From question stem xy+z=z => XY = 0 => X=0 / Y=0 / X=Y=0

xy+z=z, is |x-y|>0?

1. x# 0 (Not equal to)

2. Y= 0
From question stem xy+z=z => XY = 0

Stmt 1: x# 0 (Not equal to) ; combined with question stem Y = 0. => X#Y hence |x-y|> 0 always ; sufficient
Stmt 2: Y=0 gives 2 possibilities Y=X = 0 => |x-y|= 0 & Y=0 X#0 => X#Y hence |x-y|> 0; not sufficient.

Answer A
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 214
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 22:25
I think we usually miss the condition X=0 and Y=0
VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1364
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 21:30
xy = 0 means either x or y or both are equal to 0.

a means y = 0 and x > | < 0 hence LHS > RHS always. A.

b means x may or may not be = 0. Hence POE.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 768
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 42

CAT Tests
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 11:59
xy=0 => x =0 or
y= 0 or
both x=0 and y=0

|x-y|>0 ?

rephrasing we have x#y?

1. Sufficient

x#0 = > y =0
x#y? yes

2. Not sufficient

y =0 , we dont anything about x.

if x =0 |x-y| is not greater than 0
if x#0 |x-y| is greater than 0.

Answer is A.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 22:04
a

statement simplifies to xy=0 , are x,y different nos

1. sufficient certain

2. nsufficient 2 values x=0 or x= any no


hence A
_________________

lets start again

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 22:33
Ian / Karishma

I may be loosing it all :lol: But this is how I think

If xy = 0. This certainly is no brainer :) x = 0 or y = 0

But the real problem is going to happen if x and y are both zero. Since x = 0 / y and since y and x are both zero we can infer that x is 0/0 or undefined. However we have assumed x=0. Hence I think we cannot assume that x and y are both zero. Can we ?

Not sure. Thoughts??
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 658
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 22:15
the answer is A . very simple , the question has stated xy=0 so ,either x=0 or y=0 , now A states x not = 0. hence y=0 is clear from A itself.

now |x-y| >0 always,
provided (x-y) is not equal to 0.
_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2794
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 03:42
gmat1220 wrote:
Ian / Karishma

I may be loosing it all :lol: But this is how I think

If xy = 0. This certainly is no brainer :) x = 0 or y = 0

But the real problem is going to happen if x and y are both zero. Since x = 0 / y and since y and x are both zero we can infer that x is 0/0 or undefined. However we have assumed x=0. Hence I think we cannot assume that x and y are both zero. Can we ?

Not sure. Thoughts??


If x*y=z

and you consider y = z/x on condition that x is not equal to 0.

hence if x*y=0 then you can not say x=0/y unless u assume y is not equal to zero.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2794
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 03:47
garimavyas wrote:
the answer is A . very simple , the question has stated xy=0 so ,either x=0 or y=0 , now A states x not = 0. hence y=0 is clear from A itself.

now |x-y| >0 always,
provided (x-y) is not equal to 0.


This question is simple indeed, but since the user has posted the question it may not be that easy for him to understand.
Sometimes we miss simple things, either because we don't know the concept or because we overlook them.

I have followed many of your posts in which you have stated - very simple straight fwd answer. I m glad it was easy for you to answer the question. But look from other users' prospective; they wouldn't have posted if the question had been easy for them.

The reason why I have pointed out this small thing is to let you know that such words could discourage the person. He would simply think he is not smart enough to answer such a simple and straight fwd question.

I hope you take it in a positive way.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 19:37
Exactly ! Statement 2) says y = 0 and we know x y = 0 then it means x is non zero to avoid 0/0 form for y

S1 is sufficient and S2 is sufficient.

Hence the answer should be D :o Not sure why people are saying A

gurpreetsingh wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
Ian / Karishma

I may be loosing it all :lol: But this is how I think

If xy = 0. This certainly is no brainer :) x = 0 or y = 0

But the real problem is going to happen if x and y are both zero. Since x = 0 / y and since y and x are both zero we can infer that x is 0/0 or undefined. However we have assumed x=0. Hence I think we cannot assume that x and y are both zero. Can we ?

Not sure. Thoughts??


If x*y=z

and you consider y = z/x on condition that x is not equal to 0.

hence if x*y=0 then you can not say x=0/y unless u assume y is not equal to zero.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 7

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 20:56
Your argument:
"xy = 0
S2: y = 0
Therefore, it means x is non zero to avoid 0/0 form for y
Therefore, x > 0"

Think about this for a second, it's deeply flawed. If you assume your argument, you are essentially suggesting that we can never multiply two zeros together, as we need to "avoid 0/0 form for y", yet clearly:

Let x = 0, y = 0
0 * 0 = 0

The problem with your line of thinking is that you are treating division-by-zero as a possible operation that we "avoid". It's not avoided, its simply undefined.

There are a whole range of fallacies that rely on this premise.

gmat1220 wrote:
Exactly ! Statement 2) says y = 0 and we know x y = 0 then it means x is non zero to avoid 0/0 form for y

S1 is sufficient and S2 is sufficient.

Hence the answer should be D :o Not sure why people are saying A

gurpreetsingh wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
Ian / Karishma

I may be loosing it all :lol: But this is how I think

If xy = 0. This certainly is no brainer :) x = 0 or y = 0

But the real problem is going to happen if x and y are both zero. Since x = 0 / y and since y and x are both zero we can infer that x is 0/0 or undefined. However we have assumed x=0. Hence I think we cannot assume that x and y are both zero. Can we ?

Not sure. Thoughts??


If x*y=z

and you consider y = z/x on condition that x is not equal to 0.

hence if x*y=0 then you can not say x=0/y unless u assume y is not equal to zero.

_________________

My Debrief

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 21:37
:-) this is interesting. Challenge this
if x(x-1) =0 can you assume that both the factors are zero at the same time. It will result in paradox.
If x=0 and x-1 =0 then 1=0 which is nonsense! So I still standby my argument. I wonder if Karishma or Ian will voice their opinion.

Posted from my mobile device Image
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2794
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 03:30
gmat1220 wrote:
:-) this is interesting. Challenge this
if x(x-1) =0 can you assume that both the factors are zero at the same time. It will result in paradox.
If x=0 and x-1 =0 then 1=0 which is nonsense! So I still standby my argument. I wonder if Karishma or Ian will voice their opinion.

Posted from my mobile device Image


if x(x-1) =0
then either x=0 or x=1 not both

in any equation (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)=0 the possible answers are either x=a, x=b, x=c or any combination of two or all three.
eg a=b or a=c. If a,b,c are different then only either of them could be true at one time, but we will have three possible answers.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2794
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 03:35
gmat1220 wrote:
Exactly ! Statement 2) says y = 0 and we know x y = 0 then it means x is non zero to avoid 0/0 form for y

S1 is sufficient and S2 is sufficient.

Hence the answer should be D :o Not sure why people are saying A



if x*y =0 and y = 0.. then x may or may not be 0.

if x*y = z then you can move x or y to the denominator only if you assume the variable does not have value 0.

x*y = 0 if either of them or both are zero, it satisfy the equation.

suppose x =0 and y is not..then u can consider x = 0/y which will be =0.

If y is zero, you can not take it to the bottom..that's rule ..PERIOD.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 7

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 01:09
gmat1220 wrote:
:-) this is interesting. Challenge this
if x(x-1) =0 can you assume that both the factors are zero at the same time. It will result in paradox.
If x=0 and x-1 =0 then 1=0 which is nonsense! So I still standby my argument. I wonder if Karishma or Ian will voice their opinion.

Posted from my mobile device Image


You are correct, in that example, you can not assume both are zero at the same time. What you are missing here is that these both contain the same variable, x. This not what is presented in the question.

I recognize you do not accept the answer to this question, but step back and consider the implication of your argument. You are suggesting that two independent variables, x and y, can not be zero, because when multiplied together they equal zero. This is a non-sensical conclusion to reach, much like if someone reach 1 = 0 in your above example. I am sure you accept this conclusion makes no sense, yet you are not questioning your own argument to find out what has led you to reach this conclusion.

More than happy for either of those people to weigh in on this, you will note that Bunnel already has.
_________________

My Debrief

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2039
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 03:46
0*0=0 (Possible)
Anything/0 -> undefined(Not possible)
_________________

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5364 [1] , given: 165

Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 06:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmat1220 wrote:
Ian / Karishma

I may be loosing it all :lol: But this is how I think

If xy = 0. This certainly is no brainer :) x = 0 or y = 0

But the real problem is going to happen if x and y are both zero. Since x = 0 / y and since y and x are both zero we can infer that x is 0/0 or undefined. However we have assumed x=0. Hence I think we cannot assume that x and y are both zero. Can we ?

Not sure. Thoughts??


gmat1220: As per your request, let me provide the logic here.

Both, gurpreetsingh and your high school, are correct.

Given that x*y = 0.
Think of it in this way: I have two numbers. I don't know their values. But when I multiply them, I get 0. So at least one of the numbers have to be 0. Both can also be 0 since 0*0 = 0. Nothing says that they cannot be equal.

Why were you taught 'Either x or y is 0 in high school?'
Because 'Either or' implies 'At least one'. It is counter intuitive to how we think about 'Either or'. In language, we generally think 'Either or' means either A or B but not both. This is incorrect implication in logic. 'Either or' means at least one of A and B. Both are also possible. (If you do not agree, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_disjunction)

Next, how do you explain 0 = 0/0? If you remember, in many DS questions where you have equations with denominators, you are specifically given that the denominator is not 0. e.g.
Given x = y/(x - z), x not equal to z,...
You can only divide something by x if you know that it is not zero.
xy = 0 cannot be re-written as x = 0/y because you do not know whether y is 0 or not. You do not divide an equation by a variable until and unless you know that the variable is not 0.

Hope that clears up the doubts.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Confustion modulus problem. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 19:32
Ohh yes ! That clears up the cloud. Thanks so much...... I was taking the literal meaning of "either". I don't think I ever interpreted "either" as atleast one.

While Karishma's posts are awesome, gurpreetsingh, pike and fluke thanks to you!
Re: Confustion modulus problem.   [#permalink] 22 May 2011, 19:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If xyz ≠ 0, is x(y + z) >= 0? ajit257 0 26 Feb 2014, 19:03
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic If xyz ≠ 0, is x(y + z) >= 0? monirjewel 12 28 Oct 2010, 21:37
2 Is xy + z = z, is |x-y| > 0 ? (1) x 0 (2) y = 0 zaarathelab 1 03 Jan 2010, 08:49
If x+y+z>0, is z>1? 1) z>x+y+1 2)x+y+1<0 seofah 10 08 Dec 2008, 13:27
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic If xyz ≠ 0, is x(y + z) >= 0? judokan 8 25 Jul 2008, 23:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If xy + z = z, is |x - y| > 0?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.