Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [72]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [23]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: If y ≠ 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which [#permalink]
Kudos
what about the case x=y? if x=y then x will cancel Y and answer will be 3, which is greater than 2 and it is prime number

IanStewart wrote:
Economist wrote:
If y ≠ 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of the following must be true?
Ⅰ. x = y
Ⅱ. y = 1
Ⅲ. x and y are prime integers.
(A) None
(B) Ⅰ only
(C) Ⅱonly
(D) Ⅲonly
(E) Ⅰand Ⅲ

Guys, I am sure this might have come earlier, but I am kind of confused about these MUST be true questions.

Here, if 3x/y is a prime number greater than 2 then x and y should always be equal so that they can cancel out. We cant have any other factor of 3x/y!!

There are other possibilities here: 3 might be a factor of y, and might therefore cancel in the fraction, leaving us with a prime that comes from the factors of x. For example, if x = 10, and y = 6, then 3x/y = 5. So we can see that none of I, II, or III need to be true.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
reply2spg wrote:
what about the case x=y? if x=y then x will cancel Y and answer will be 3, which is greater than 2 and it is prime number

Yes, it *could* be true that x = y, but the question doesn't ask what could be true; it asks what *must* be true. As I pointed out above, it doesn't need to be true that x = y.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tricky question. Took 1.50min to solve it.

But this is what I did.

1st Statement: From first looking at the expression, 'x=y' is the easiest way to have a Prime Integer greater > 2 (3 in this case) from the original question stem. Now we must ask ourselves, is there anyway that this number is a prime number greater than 2 and different from 3? Say for example 5. First look at the denominator, to have 5 as the answer we need to get rid of the 3 so 'y=3', could be an option. Then if 'x = 5, we have that the expression is in fact 5.

So x/y = 5/3 could be an option.

2nd Statement: Does 'y=1" ? We just found out that 'y=3' is an option so this one is out.

3rd Statement: This is a bit more difficult. We need to ask ourselves again, do they both have to be prime integers? Let's start with the denominator, we used 'y=3' in the last example but 'y' could be in fact any multiple of 3, lets say we picked 6. Now, to have '5' (Prime>2) as an answer we could use 10 in the numerator. Since both 'x' and 'y' are 10 and 6 they don't both have to be prime numbers.

So answer is (a) None
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:

But this is what I did.

1st Statement: From first looking at the expression, 'x=y' is the easiest way to have a Prime Integer greater > 2 (3 in this case) from the original question stem. Now we must ask ourselves, is there anyway that this number is a prime number greater than 2 and different from 3? Say for example 5. First look at the denominator, to have 5 as the answer we need to get rid of the 3 so 'y=3', could be an option. Then if 'x = 5, we have that the expression is in fact 5.

2nd Statement: Does 'y=1" ? We just found out that 'y=3' is an option so this one is out.

3rd Statement: This is a bit more difficult. We need to ask ourselves again, do they both have to be prime integers? Let's start with the denominator, we used 'y=3' in the last example but 'y' could be in fact any multiple of 3, lets say we picked 6. Now, to have '5' (Prime>2) as an answer we could use 10 in the numerator. Since both 'x' and 'y' are 10 and 6 they don't both have to be prime numbers.

So answer is (a) None

The only issue with your response is the prompt explicitly says that y≠3
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Nwsmith11 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

But this is what I did.

So answer is (a) None

The only issue with your response is the prompt explicitly says that y≠3

You are right appologies, my bad.

So we could just use x=10 and y=6 for all the Statements and there we go.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos