Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (01:53) correct 39% (00:45) wrong based on 33 sessions
If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the value of y ?

1. x + y = 3
2. x - y = -3

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m02#25

Hi All-

I'm struggling to see the logic behind the OA in this question. Taking the information from the question stem, we get y= (x+y)(x-y)/ (x-y), therefore y=x+y. Its easy to see that statement 1 is sufficient, but for statement 2, we will still get y=x+y because y=-3(x+y)/-3. We can pick a number of different values for x-y that equal -3 that fit the question stem (x is not equal to y). Can someone with better math skills than myself explain why statement 2 is sufficient? Cheers!

-Ken
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Tricky Algebra [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
kenman wrote:
If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the value of y ?

1. x + y = 3
2. x - y = -3

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m02#25

Hi All-

I'm struggling to see the logic behind the OA in this question. Taking the information from the question stem, we get y= (x+y)(x-y)/ (x-y), therefore y=x+y. Its easy to see that statement 1 is sufficient, but for statement 2, we will still get y=x+y because y=-3(x+y)/-3. We can pick a number of different values for x-y that equal -3 that fit the question stem (x is not equal to y). Can someone with better math skills than myself explain why statement 2 is sufficient? Cheers!

-Ken

Mark my words bro, if you follow the way you are solving the questions you will face a difficult time with DS questions.
Always simply the equations till end, else you will complicate the things for you... - GOLDEN RULE.

now when you got y =x+y => x must be 0
now when you will put x=0 in both the statements you will have unique value of Y.
=> both are sufficient.

Now spend at least 15-20 mins on the advice I gave you and try to put in every question. Always simplify and then go ahead.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tricky Algebra [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 11:44
even i mistakenly chose A...But its little difficult to understand why D?

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan (LGO)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Tricky Algebra [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
prateekbhatt wrote:

{x^2 - y^2} = (x+y)*(x-y)

The original expression ends up being: y = x + y thus x=0.

From here, both (1) and (2) can be solved:

(1) y=3
(2) -y=-3; y=3
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tricky Algebra [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 13:06
LGOdream wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:

{x^2 - y^2} = (x+y)*(x-y)

The original expression ends up being: y = x + y thus x=0.

From here, both (1) and (2) can be solved:

(1) y=3
(2) -y=-3; y=3

Ohh got it.....I was thinking that if statement 1 is solving the purpose then why to check statement 2 ....i was wrong...

Thanks for solving.....

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky Algebra [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 11:13
+1 for D.

The given input is a good indication of what the questions expects (x not equal to y).

Simplifying the given equations we get:

x(x-y) = 0, since x -y = 0 or x is not equal to y, we know that x = 0.

Substituting x=0 in both conditions will give us the value of y. Hence D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 06:07
Excellent question kenman. Definitely worth another look. Its easy to miss out on the minor details and make careless mistakes as I did.
D is the right answer. Thanks for the explanation gurpreetsingh.
Kudos to both.. :)

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 21:45
D. From question stem we know

y = (x + y) (x-y) / (x-y)
y = (x + y) , y = ?

(1) x+ y = 3. so y = 3 SUFF.
(2) x -y = -3

x = -3 + y
Subs value of x in rephrased question stem

y = -3 + y + y
y = 3. SUFF.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Please consider giving kudos if you find my post hepful :-)

Re: If y = \frac {x^2 - y^2}{x-y} ( x \ne y ), then what is the   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 21:45