Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

32% (01:53) correct 68% (00:42) wrong based on 199 sessions
If y=\sqrt{3y+4}, then the product of all possible solution(s) for y is:

A. -4
B. -2
C. 0
D. 4
E. 6
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3374

Kudos [?]: 24561 [3] , given: 2680

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Prax wrote:
Can you please help me with this question:

Square both sides: y^2=3y+4 --> (y+1)(y-4)=0 --> y=-1 or y=4, but y can not be negative as it equals to square root of some expression (\sqrt{expression}\geq{0}), so only one solution is valid y=4.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:12
But don't we consider negative sq. root as well?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3374

Kudos [?]: 24561 [2] , given: 2680

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Prax wrote:
But don't we consider negative sq. root as well?

This issue was discussed several times lately on the forum and let me assure you: square root function cannot give negative result.

Any nonnegative real number has a unique non-negative square root called the principal square root and unless otherwise specified, the square root is generally taken to mean the principal square root.

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \sqrt{x} or \sqrt[4]{x}, then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is, \sqrt{25}=5, NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation x^2=25 has TWO solutions, +5 and -5. Even roots have only non-negative value on the GMAT.

Odd roots will have the same sign as the base of the root. For example, \sqrt[3]{125} =5 and \sqrt[3]{-64} =-4.

So when we see y=\sqrt{3y+4} we can deduce TWO things:
A. y\geq{0} - as square root function can not give negative result;
B. 3y+4\geq{0} - as GMAT is dealing only with real numbers and even roots of negative number is undefined (3y+4 is under square root so it must be \geq{0}).

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:39
Thanks a lot Bunuel. its absolutely clear :)
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 657 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
rakeshd347 wrote:
noboru wrote:
If y=sqrt(3y+4) then the product of all possible solution(s) for y is

a -4
b -2
c 0
d 4
e 6

D is the correct answer.
The two solutions are 4 and -1 then -1 doesn't satisfy the equation so the only solution is 4.
D is correct.

Hello rakeshd347.,

If the two solutions are 4 and -1, that would mean that they both satisfy the equation and that is why they are the solutions. The product of all possible solutions is hence 4*-1 = -4.

If it helps, in an equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, the sum of the roots is \frac{-b}{a} and the product of the roots is \frac{c}{a}

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

SVP
SVP
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 00:10
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 01:13
Prax wrote:
Can you please help me with this question:

A. -4
B. -2
C. 0
D. 4
E. 6

y has to be a non negative value as y = square root of something hence we can eliminate A and B.

squaring both sides we get:
y^2 - 3y - 4 = 0
y^2 - 4y + y - 4 = 0
y(y-4) + 1(y - 4) = 0
(y-4) (y+1) = 0
y can be equal to 4 or -1.

Now -1 is not possible as -1 is not equal to square root of -1. Hence answer is 4. (D)

Perfect Scores

If you think our post was valuable then please encourage us with Kudos :)

To learn GMAT for free visit:

http://Perfect-Scores.com
http://Youtube.com/PerfectScores
http://Facebook.com/PerfectScores

Re: If y=root(3y+4), then the product of all possible solution   [#permalink] 12 May 2014, 01:13