Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If you had to choose...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 22:36
...between the full-time mba programs at Washington University in St. Louis (Olin) and Indiana University (Kelley), where would you attend?

Their rankings are typically comparable, right around #20, with Indiana often a few spots higher. I'm still undecided on my particular concentration and specific post-mba career goals, and I think the quality of education will be comparable at both schools. GMAT scores and undergrad GPA's are a bit higher at Washington, although their acceptance rate is actually a bit higher than Indiana's...so I suppose admissions standards are fairly comparable. The costs are nearly identical. So it's primarily deciding between a small elite private school in a big city versus a huge state school in a small college town. Washington U has a great reputation in St. Louis, but IDK whether the school even really has name recognition outside of the midwest. Indiana's Kelley School of Business has a great reputation, but the university, as a whole, isn't really prestigious.

Please lend me some opinions here, even if you haven't considered either school. I would really appreciate it!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '12

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 1

Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
I would try to find out which school is better for your intended post-mba goals, but all things being equal... You have a huge Big 10 public school vs. a relatively small private school. I'd probably go with Olin since I went to a large Big 10 school for undergrad and would like to try something different, but if you went to a smaller school and don't have access to a gigantic alumni base, I'd probably go with Indiana.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
IU Kelly has a strong reputation and good ties, but almost exclusively in the mid-west. They really are almost incomparable without an idea of your intended locale or career, and their relative importance.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 11:48
Thanks for the replies, guys. To address your comments...I don't have an intended locale. I'm from the Midwest, and I'm really open to living in virtually any region in the states. I had a corporate finance job in the manufacturing industry (which I didn't especially enjoy, but it was entry level), and I've thought about trying to break into management consulting, largely because it would probably give me exposure to a number industries and job functions. That said, it seems like Indiana (Kelley) might hold a few more opportunities to find a job in consulting than Washington (Olin)...but again, their employment stats seem fairly comparable. I'm hoping to set up some job-shadows to get a feel for a few different post-MBA careers firsthand.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Kelley vs Olin [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 08:11
Hello Everyone,

I got in at Kelley and at Olin. Not sure which is a better program...

Any suggestions? Current students? interview/job placement experiences? etc?

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

Intern
Intern

Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 09:34
Bump!

Kelley (IU) vs Olin (WashU): Any opinions?? Anyone?
Manager
Manager

Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 21:49
adude wrote:
I would try to find out which school is better for your intended post-mba goals, but all things being equal... You have a huge Big 10 public school vs. a relatively small private school. I'd probably go with Olin since I went to a large Big 10 school for undergrad and would like to try something different, but if you went to a smaller school and don't have access to a gigantic alumni base, I'd probably go with Indiana.

General management: Healthcare/Biotech. Any suggestions as to how the programs compare...?

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:21
Have you checked out the threads dedicated to the 2 schools mentioned above?

Perhaps fellow applicants applying to the same school might have information and insight that you are looking for.

Washington university in St Louis (Olin)
calling-all-fall-2010-washington-u-olin-applicants-88170.html

Indiana University - Kelley
calling-all-indiana-kelley-fall-2010-applicants-89228.html

Manager
Manager

Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:41
nink wrote:
Have you checked out the threads dedicated to the 2 schools mentioned above?

Perhaps fellow applicants applying to the same school might have information and insight that you are looking for.

Washington university in St Louis (Olin)
calling-all-fall-2010-washington-u-olin-applicants-88170.html

Indiana University - Kelley
calling-all-indiana-kelley-fall-2010-applicants-89228.html

nink, thnxz a ton!

I have and will continue to keep an eye out. It appears most of the posters on those threads are familiar with one or the other program. I am in touch with one person who is in a similar situation and we are trying to get more ideas/insights....

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: If you had to choose... [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 20:03
on paper, the schools look as close to equal as you can put them:

http://www.olin.wustl.edu/docs/WCC/EmploymentMBA.pdf
http://kelley.iu.edu/mba/careers/careerStats.cfm

class size about the same, about 58% of grads stay in the midwest, similar consulting placement #'s (around 10%). i'd echo adude's opinion earlier in the thread - although the class sizes are the same, one's location is part of a much larger university (kelley), whereas olin is much smaller - so potentially fit could be a deciding factor. other than that, i'd apply to both and see where i got the most money.

GMAT Debrief

Re: If you had to choose...   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2010, 20:03