Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (02:08) correct 37% (01:08) wrong based on 186 sessions
25. If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be able to use a computer. And if you
are not able to use a computer, you will not be able to write your essays using a word
processing program. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be
true?
a) If you have some keyboarding skills, you will be able to write your essays using a word
processing program.
b) If you are not able to write your essays using a word processing program, you have no
keyboarding skills.
c) If you are able to write your essays using a word processing program, you have at least some
keyboarding skills.
d) If you are able to use a computer, you will probably be able to write your essays using a
word processing program.
e) If you are not able to write your essays using a word processing program, you are not able to
use a computer.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 16:40
Hi . I eliminated A , B , E. What makes C a better choice than D
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 05:03
d. While, if you can use a computer, that doesn't mean you may or may not to capable of writing as essay using a word processing program. All that it will mean is you can use a computer. May be you only play games on it. But not necessarily what D suggests. So this rules out D.

c. If you are able to write essays using a word processing program, that will mean you are able to use a computer and for if you are able to use a computer, it is only because you have some key boarding skills.

Hope this explanation helps.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 06:16
Going thru the question once again . i think we can also reject the option c because of the Cause effect directionality change.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 75

Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 08:01
(C) , (D) close tie-ups,
what is the source, can we get the OE?

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 02:34
Keyboard skills -> Computer Use -> Write essays using Word Processing program

If you are able to write your essays using a word processing program, you have at least some keyboarding skills. - According to the equation above, if you have keyboard skills only then would you be able to use computer and in turn write essays using word processing program. Now if you look at it in the other way, if you are able to write essays using word processing program, then we can for sure say that you know how to use computer and have keyboard skills.

C - Right answer
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 48

Re: CR - Must be True [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 11:32
mohankumarbd wrote:
d. While, if you can use a computer, that doesn't mean you may or may not to capable of writing as essay using a word processing program. All that it will mean is you can use a computer. May be you only play games on it. But not necessarily what D suggests. So this rules out D.

c. If you are able to write essays using a word processing program, that will mean you are able to use a computer and for if you are able to use a computer, it is only because you have some key boarding skills.

Hope this explanation helps.

completely agree with mohan.

No keyboard skills --> can't use PC
-say, the keyboarding skills required to use PC are just entering password to start PC. I gain that and can use the computer.

Can't use PC --> can't write essay using word processing software

now i can use a computer, but still i may be lacking the skills to write an essay. Thus option D is out.
now, if i have written an essay using the word processing software, means i was able to use the PC means i had atleast the minimum keyboarding skills required.. exactly what option C states.

hope it helps clear the confusion for all those narrowing down to options C and D.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 10:21
I picked (C) but I was wondering if this type of question style is seen on the GMAT? Has anyone seen this type in any official realeased material or a real GMAT?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 11:29
the correct answer is C.

guys can solve it using conditional linkage.

No KS(keyboarding skills) ----> Can't use a computer (C)
C--------> KS

Not C -----> Not be able to write essay using word (E)
E -------> C

so E ---->C---->KS and No KS----> No C----> No E

The answer is C, if Essay then KS

:lol:
7 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [7] , given: 148

Re: If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GetThisDone wrote:
25. If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be able to use a computer. And if you
are not able to use a computer, you will not be able to write your essays using a word
processing program. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be
true?
a) If you have some keyboarding skills, you will be able to write your essays using a word
processing program.
b) If you are not able to write your essays using a word processing program, you have no
keyboarding skills.
c) If you are able to write your essays using a word processing program, you have at least some
keyboarding skills.
d) If you are able to use a computer, you will probably be able to write your essays using a
word processing program.
e) If you are not able to write your essays using a word processing program, you are not able to
use a computer.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Here are some basics of logic that will help you answer such questions very quickly.

Focus on the condition structure: If A, then B
Here, A implies B
and B-negated implies A-negated

Mind you, B does not imply A
A-negated does not imply B-negated.

Let's take an example:
If it rains, the playground gets wet.

A - It rains
B - The playground got wet
A-negated - It didn't rain.
B-negated - the playground didn't get wet.

If A, then B

A implies B
'It rained' implies 'the playground got wet'

B-negated implies A-negated
'The playground did not get wet' implies 'it did not rain'

B does not imply A
'The playground got wet' does not imply 'it rained' (Perhaps, someone made it wet with a hose)

A-negated does not imply B-negated
'It didn't rain' does not imply 'The playground did not get wet' (Again, someone could have made it wet with a hose. We don't know whether it got wet or not)

Remember this:
If A, then B
Here, A implies B
and B-negated implies A-negated

If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be able to use a computer. And if you
processing program.
If A, then B. If B, then C
So we can say 'If A, then C'
A implies C
and C-negated implies A-negated

If 'you have no keyboarding skills', then 'you will not be able to write your essays using a word
processing program'

A - you have no keyboarding skills
C - you will not be able to write your essays using a word
processing program
A - negated - you have some keyboarding skills
C - negated - you will be able to write your essays using a word
processing program

Notice option C now.
keyboarding skills.
It is 'C - negated' implies 'A - negated' which we know to be true.
Hence, C is correct.

Look at D
word processing program.
It is of the form: If B, then C
The option D says, 'B - negated' implies 'C-negated' which we know doesn't hold.
Hence, D is not correct.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: If you have no keyboarding skills at all, you will not be   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 03:39