Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 500
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 09:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
If z² - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true

A) z > -5

B) z < 5

C) z > -1

D) z < 1

E) z < -1
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 10:08
z² - 4z > 5
<=> z² - 4z - 5 > 0
<=> (z+1)(z-5) > 0

As z² - 4z - 5 is the kind of a*x^2 + b*x + c where a is positive, thus (z-1)(z+5) > 0 is possible when z is not between the 2 roots : -1 and 5.

Hence, we know that z < -1 or z > 5

The question is a bit strange.... we cannot be sure here :)... But as we have to choose, I take (E) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 341
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 08:22
Fig wrote:
z² - 4z > 5
<=> z² - 4z - 5 > 0
<=> (z+1)(z-5) > 0

As z² - 4z - 5 is the kind of a*x^2 + b*x + c where a is positive, thus (z-1)(z+5) > 0 is possible when z is not between the 2 roots : -1 and 5.

Hence, we know that z < -1 or z > 5

The question is a bit strange.... we cannot be sure here :)... But as we have to choose, I take (E) :)


I get:
z^2-4z-5>0
(z-5) (z+1)>0
z>5,z>-1

I do not understand the change in sign part. Pls explain.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 08:40
Sumithra wrote:
Fig wrote:
z² - 4z > 5
<=> z² - 4z - 5 > 0
<=> (z+1)(z-5) > 0

As z² - 4z - 5 is the kind of a*x^2 + b*x + c where a is positive, thus (z-1)(z+5) > 0 is possible when z is not between the 2 roots : -1 and 5.

Hence, we know that z < -1 or z > 5

The question is a bit strange.... we cannot be sure here :)... But as we have to choose, I take (E) :)


I get:
z^2-4z-5>0
(z-5) (z+1)>0
z>5,z>-1

I do not understand the change in sign part. Pls explain.


We apply this rule :
> f(x) = a*x^2 + b*x + c where a is positive, f(x) > 0 when x is not between its roots if these roots exist.
> f(x) = a*x^2 + b*x + c where a is negative, f(x) > 0 when x is between its roots if these roots exist.


If we represent f(z)=z^2-4z-5 in XY plan, we obtain the fig1.

I also add u the representation of g(z)=-z^2-4z+5 to have the case with a <0 in the fig2.
Attachments

Fig1_a-postive.jpg
Fig1_a-postive.jpg [ 17.01 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

Fig2_a-negative.jpg
Fig2_a-negative.jpg [ 16.88 KiB | Viewed 396 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 268
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: PS [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 08:41
solving,
we get

(z-5)(Z+1)>0

this holds only if z>5 or z<-1

hence z<-1..choice E

what's the oa???


yogeshsheth wrote:
If z² - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true

A) z > -5

B) z < 5

C) z > -1

D) z < 1

E) z < -1
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

Re: PS [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 08:43
The problem is that we cannot be sure that z < -1.... The case z > 5 remains ;).... Strange question: a kaplan one ? :p

AK47 wrote:
solving,
we get

(z-5)(Z+1)>0

this holds only if z>5 or z<-1

hence z<-1..choice E

what's the oa???


yogeshsheth wrote:
If z² - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true

A) z > -5

B) z < 5

C) z > -1

D) z < 1

E) z < -1
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1814
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 08:52
Sumithra wrote:
Thank you Fig.


U are welcome :).... I suggest u to have a look perhaps on this thread.... To complete the idea of sign, I represented a table of sign :)

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36468
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 514
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 10:16
I get A. z^2-4z-5>0, roots are therefore -1 and +5. So Z is always >-5, since it's either -1 or 5...odd question though.
_________________

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 280
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 10:28
The only right answer must be E.

We know that the other ones can't be, although E is not perfect as was said before.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 20:02
I got E for this one. My question is why is it this question an odd one ?? examining other choices, only x<-1 is one of the two solution. the other solution which is x>5 is not there and x> -5 or x>-1 range is too wide to make x always true.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5095
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 20:58
z^2 - 4z - 5 > 0
(z-5)(z+1) > 0

valid ranges:
z > 5, z < -1

E is always true.
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2006, 20:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true tekno9000 4 15 Aug 2008, 07:40
4 If z^2 - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always young_gun 19 21 May 2008, 11:01
If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true u2lover 2 14 Jul 2006, 14:15
If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true svrkpally 4 26 May 2005, 02:38
If z^2-4z > 5, then which of the following is always mbahope 17 13 Nov 2004, 08:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If z - 4z > 5 then which of the following is always true

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.