Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0? 1) x*z=-3x 2) x*z=3x

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2004
Posts: 274
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0? 1) x*z=-3x 2) x*z=3x [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 19:37
If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0?
1) x*z=-3x
2) x*z=3x
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 20:44
a good one, i am not so sure

I would answer A

in statement 1 we know that Z is a positive integer so there is no way Z=-3, the only solution is that Z is equal to any positive number but that X=0 so XZ=0 -> suff

in statement 2, Z could be for example 3 and X could also be 3. Not suff
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1499
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 21:31
Antmavel wrote:
a good one, i am not so sure, I would answer A
in statement 1 we know that Z is a positive integer so there is no way Z=-3, the only solution is that Z is equal to any positive number but that X=0 so XZ=0 -> suff. in statement 2, Z could be for example 3 and X could also be 3. Not suff


If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0?
1) x*z=-3x
2) x*z=3x

Answer should be A, but this is one of the poorly worded question because it is not possible to have x*z=-3x = 3x without combining i and ii. to satisfy booth statement x must be o and ETS doesnot ask such question. only after combining both, we know that x = o. therefore no wonder if OA is C.
CIO
CIO
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 466
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 07:17
MA wrote:
Antmavel wrote:
a good one, i am not so sure, I would answer A
in statement 1 we know that Z is a positive integer so there is no way Z=-3, the only solution is that Z is equal to any positive number but that X=0 so XZ=0 -> suff. in statement 2, Z could be for example 3 and X could also be 3. Not suff


If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0?
1) x*z=-3x
2) x*z=3x

Answer should be A, but this is one of the poorly worded question because it is not possible to have x*z=-3x = 3x without combining i and ii. to satisfy booth statement x must be o and ETS doesnot ask such question. only after combining both, we know that x = o. therefore no wonder if OA is C.


I'm not so sure it's a bad question. Certainly it's confusing. But if * is a special function, then we don't know anything about the relationship of x and z. Maybe from one we could learn that * means "lose z and multiply by negative 3".

Either way, with C we see that 3x = -3x, and only zero could make that work.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 12:35
"A"

I don't see any ambiguity in this ques, perhaps I am missing something

state 1....x*z + 3x = 0

x(z+3) = 0........so solutions are x = 0 or z = -3 or x = 0 and
z = -3..but Z > 0....so only X can be 0.....so X*Z = 0

state 2....x*z - 3x = 0

x(z-3) = 0......X = 0 or Z= 3 or X=0 and Z = 3.....insuff
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1499
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2005, 17:12
banerjeea_98 wrote:
"A". I don't see any ambiguity in this ques, perhaps I am missing something


in isolation, that is ok. but if you see the question in totality, seems something wired.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 18:59
If z is positive, the only way x*z can be 0 is for x to be 0. So the question is really asking Is x 0?

(1) x*z = -3x --> tells us x = -x since z is positive. So x must be 0. Sufficient.
(2) z=3. Doesn't really tells us anything. x can be 0 and x*z = 3x. Or x can be any value and still satisfy statement 2.

Ans: A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 487
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 19:38
ywilfred wrote:
If z is positive, the only way x*z can be 0 is for x to be 0. So the question is really asking Is x 0?

(1) x*z = -3x --> tells us x = -x since z is positive. So x must be 0. Sufficient.
(2) z=3. Doesn't really tells us anything. x can be 0 and x*z = 3x. Or x can be any value and still satisfy statement 2.

Ans: A


Agreed... good explanation
  [#permalink] 19 Dec 2005, 19:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
If z is a positive integer, does z have more than 2 positive guygmat 4 20 Jun 2011, 19:46
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic For positive integer Z, is the expression (Z + 2)(Z^2 + 4Z + yangsta8 4 10 Oct 2009, 21:25
Is z an integer? (1) 2z is not an integer. (2) z/2 is not an snipertrader 4 15 Aug 2009, 02:18
If Z is a positive integer, is 2 a factor of Z ? 1. 22 is a gowani 3 04 Nov 2007, 14:03
if z is positive, what is the value of z? (1) z=z^3 (2) FN 2 15 Jan 2005, 19:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If Z is a positive integer, x*z=0? 1) x*z=-3x 2) x*z=3x

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.