Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If zy < xy < 0 is |x - z| + |x| = |z|

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

If zy < xy < 0 is |x - z| + |x| = |z| [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 09:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:31) correct 49% (01:19) wrong based on 90 sessions

(1) z < x
(2) y > 0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Jul 2013, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 11

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 10:09
Taking Both:
Both Z and X are negative.
where Z<X
Therefore, |x-z|+|x| will definitely be greater than IzI
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 4

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
I think it is D.

For zy<xy<0 to be true either:
A:- both x and z are positive and y is negative - in this case then z > x (because zy<xy)
B:- both x and z are negative and y is positive - then z < x (because zy<xy).

or in short
A:- y < 0 < x < z
B:- z < x < 0 < y

Both 1. and 2. tell us that we are looking at situation B. So we need to figure out if |x-z|+|x|=|z| when z < x < 0.
in this case |x-z|+|x|=|z|? becomes equivalent to |z|-|x|+|x|=|z| ? the -|x|+|x| cancels so yes it is always true. Try this with some example values to see why it is so.

Both 1. and 2. are SUFFICIENT, so the answer is D.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 139 [1] , given: 11

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, the answer D make sense now. However, i did not get how you get "|x-z|+|x|=|z|? becomes equivalent to |z|-|x|+|x|=|z|".
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 01:09
Can some one explain this answer please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 09:26
I used the below method to get the answer D, which is different from bobfirth’s method. Experts’ comments will be highly appreciated.

From the question we already know that zy<xy and both are negative. If y is positive z<x and if y is negative z>x.

Statement 1: z<x, I e. y is positive. So both z and x are negative. Say, x=-2 and z= -3
Plugging in the value |-2-3|+|-3| > |-3| and its true for any negative value of z and x where z<x

Statement 2: y is positive. Did the same and found that the equation can never be equal.
Intern
Intern

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 13:29
Thank you for your response. I agree answer is - D, but

When you say

"Statement 2: y is positive. Did the same and found that the equation can never be equal"

You are taking the give data zy<xy<0 and the second statment Y> 0 and putting -ve numbers in the equations correct. If thats the case, why do you say that "found that the equation can never be equal"?

if you take the statement zy<xy<0 and y is +ve, that means both x and z are -ve. If you take x = -2 and Z=-3, you end up with 3=3.

I am confused.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 22:36
@ksrajgmat
I was wrong doing the calculation (again). I am just wondering if plugging in the value is the right (quickest) way of doing this sort of problem...... or there is/are any other short cut method...... Dear math gurus: can you please intervene and show us quick method.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 02:06
The two statements are giving parallel information, hence on its own either statement is sufficient. I recommend using a table and plugging values for the statements.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1186

Kudos [?]: 5662 [3] , given: 167

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Postal wrote:
if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI
1) Z<x
2) Y>0

Instead of plugging in numbers, use the conceptual understanding of mods and inequalities here.

Important points to remember:
1. If ab is negative, either a or b but not both should be negative.
2. If a is positive, |a| = a; if a is negative, |a| = -a
3. If |a| > |b| but a < b, a must be negative.

Given: zy<xy<0
This means zy and xy are both negative. This is possible only if [highlight]either y is negative (and z and x are positive)[/highlight][highlight][/highlight] OR [highlight]both z and x are negative but y is positive[/highlight]. Also, since zy is 'more negative' than xy, the absolute value of z is higher than that of x i.e. [highlight]|z| > |x|[/highlight]

Question: Is |x-z| = |z| - |x|?

Let's look at stmnt 2 first. y > 0
This means that both x and z are negative. We know that if z is negative, |z| = -z. Therefore, the question now is: [highlight]Is |x-z| = x - z[/highlight]?
Again, we know that |x-z| is equal to x-z if x-z is positive. So, is x-z positive? We know that x and z are both negative and z is more negative than x (e.g. x = -2 and z = -3). Therefore, x-z will be positive.
So the answer to Is |x-z| = x - z? is 'YES'
Sufficient.

Stmnt 1: z < x
We know from above that |z| > |x|. If still z < x, then z must be negative (which implies that both x and z must be negative). This is exactly same as the situation above in stmnt 2 hence this statement will be sufficient alone.

Answer D.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 10:11
Thank you Karishma and very interesting way to solve this problem, but little confusing.

Do you see any other simple way to tackle this?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 12:19
@ksrajgmat

the question is:
Is |x-z| = |z| - |x|?

The answer to this is: you should be able to answer this question?

You don't need a definitive answer, you should just be able to say, yes, with this information you could solve this equation.

and with either A or B, you are able to say, yes you could solve this equation and find the answer. (based on all the clarification posted in the responses)

Best Regards,
IVN.

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5662 [0], given: 167

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 01:40
Expert's post
ksrajgmat wrote:
Thank you Karishma and very interesting way to solve this problem, but little confusing.

In my opinion, this is the simplest way to tackle it. You can try to plug in numbers if you like though I will not do that because I know it will be very troublesome (and time consuming). I do agree that if you are not very familiar with mods and inequalities, it could be confusing. Questions using both these concepts end up scaring the test takers and are hence considered pretty high level. Then again, if you understand the concepts I discussed under 'Important points to remember', the logic used thereafter will be pretty straight forward. Focus on those points first and understand them well. Then see if the solution is still confusing.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 07:37
Its really helpful. cleared lot of my confusion. Thanks a lot.
The below question is also being discussed under DS of Gmatclub. I am just posting it here so that people like me can connect the confusion and understanding. Appreciate if you discuss a bit using same method:

Is |x-y|>|x|-|y| ?

(1) y < x
(2) xy < 0
Intern
Intern

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 09:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ksrajgmat wrote:

In my opinion, this is the simplest way to tackle it. You can try to plug in numbers if you like though I will not do that because I know it will be very troublesome (and time consuming). I do agree that if you are not very familiar with mods and inequalities, it could be confusing. Questions using both these concepts end up scaring the test takers and are hence considered pretty high level. Then again, if you understand the concepts I discussed under 'Important points to remember', the logic used thereafter will be pretty straight forward. Focus on those points first and understand them well. Then see if the solution is still confusing.

Thank you Karishma.

You are correct. I need to brushup on my basics of mods.

Do you have some websites or PDF documents which you can share to clear the basics of mods and inequalities?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 107

Re: if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 10:04
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Postal wrote:
if zy<xy<0 is Ix-zI+IxI=IzI
1) Z<x
2) Y>0

Instead of plugging in numbers, use the conceptual understanding of mods and inequalities here.

Important points to remember:
1. If ab is negative, either a or b but not both should be negative.
2. If a is positive, |a| = a; if a is negative, |a| = -a
3. If |a| > |b| but a < b, a must be negative.

Given: zy<xy<0
This means zy and xy are both negative. This is possible only if [highlight]either y is negative (and z and x are positive)[/highlight][highlight][/highlight] OR [highlight]both z and x are negative but y is positive[/highlight]. Also, since zy is 'more negative' than xy, the absolute value of z is higher than that of x i.e. [highlight]|z| > |x|[/highlight]

Question: Is |x-z| = |z| - |x|?

Let's look at stmnt 2 first. y > 0
This means that both x and z are negative. We know that if z is negative, |z| = -z. Therefore, the question now is: [highlight]Is |x-z| = x - z[/highlight]?
Again, we know that |x-z| is equal to x-z if x-z is positive. So, is x-z positive? We know that x and z are both negative and z is more negative than x (e.g. x = -2 and z = -3). Therefore, x-z will be positive.
So the answer to Is |x-z| = x - z? is 'YES'
Sufficient.

Stmnt 1: z < x
We know from above that |z| > |x|. If still z < x, then z must be negative (which implies that both x and z must be negative). This is exactly same as the situation above in stmnt 2 hence this statement will be sufficient alone.

Answer D.

Here is much better analysis of this question by Bunuel: gmatclub. com/forum/absolute-values-101210.html

He points out the peculiarity of this problem and says that "neither of statement is needed to answer the question, stem is enough to do so".

Here is his post:

Bunuel wrote:
This is not a good question, (well at least strange enough) as neither of statement is needed to answer the question, stem is enough to do so. This is the only question from the official source where the statements aren't needed to answer the question. I doubt that such a question will occur on real test but if it ever happen then the answer should be D.

If zy<xy<0 is |x-z|+|x| = |z|

Look at the inequality zy<xy<0:

We can have two cases:

A. If y<0 --> when reducing we should flip signs and we'll get: z>x>0.
In this case: as z>x --> |x-z|=-x+z; as x>0 and z>0 --> |x|=x and |z|=z.

Hence in this case |x-z|+|x|=|z| will expand as follows: -x+z+x=z --> 0=0, which is true.

And:

B. If y>0 --> when reducing we'll get: z<x<0.
In this case: as z<x --> |x-z|=x-z; as x<0 and z<0 --> |x|=-x and |z|=-z.

Hence in this case |x-z|+|x|=|z| will expand as follows: x-z-x=-z --> 0=0, which is true.

So knowing that zy<xy<0 is true, we can conclude that |x-z|+|x| = |z| will also be true. Answer should be D even not considering the statements themselves.

As for the statements:

Statement (1) says that z<x, hence we have case B.

Statement (2) says that y>0, again we have case B.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5662 [0], given: 167

Re: If zy < xy < 0 is |x - z| + |x| = |z| [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 22:30
Expert's post
Postal wrote:

(1) z < x
(2) y > 0

For a detailed analysis of properties of absolute values (which come in quite handy in this question), check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/02 ... -the-gmat/

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: If zy < xy < 0 is |x - z| + |x| = |z|   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 22:30