Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 03:44
i am confused among the three schools..
expecting an admit from all three..

can somebody please help me with the job prospects relating to investment management and research (buy side finance) in Canada..
4.5 years of workex with 3 years in tech consulting and rest in derivatives research.
CFA/FRM all levels completed

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one school over the others.

Really appreciate any views that the members would like to share
Thanks and Regards
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 07:52
rishu19 wrote:
i am confused among the three schools..
expecting an admit from all three..

can somebody please help me with the job prospects relating to investment management and research (buy side finance) in Canada..
4.5 years of workex with 3 years in tech consulting and rest in derivatives research.
CFA/FRM all levels completed

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one school over the others.

Really appreciate any views that the members would like to share
Thanks and Regards



Rotman....You can Thank me later...WOOOOOH!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 09:45
rishu19 wrote:
i am confused among the three schools..
expecting an admit from all three..

can somebody please help me with the job prospects relating to investment management and research (buy side finance) in Canada..
4.5 years of workex with 3 years in tech consulting and rest in derivatives research.
CFA/FRM all levels completed

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one school over the others.

Really appreciate any views that the members would like to share
Thanks and Regards


Getting into investment management is really hard. In Canada even more. Without being in Canada, nearly impossible!!! Do your best at moving to Canada if this is the career path you wish to follow. Between Rotman and Schulich, there is a lot of info in this forum so you can make an informed decision.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:27
Thanks Ducksworth and ASAP.. I have done quite a bit of research.

I found Rotman more aligned to finance and have the opinion that they charge a justifiable premium..

What I didnt like when i saw Rotman's placement report is that the compensations seem to be slightly lower than consulting
This is generally not the case, and def not with IB or WM.. research/analytics maybe yes..
Also, the lower bounds are quite low.. do u know why that is the case?

Second there was no PE/HF recruitment listed in their career report. (PE listed in other with commercial banking and the total
amounts to 9%. The only reason i can think they are merged, despite being poles apart, is that PE recruitment was very low)
Are there very few PE/HFs in Canada?

And lastly, as per BW, Rotman does not have a very good reputation for career services..(schulich even more so)
they claim 64% of jobs were taken through job posting and other services, but do the jobs that lie in the higher bands
fall within this 64%.. or the better paying jobs are taken through personal networks??
They have also missed out on averages by geographic regions, its possible that the 4% US placements take a lions share
of good numbers.. not sure here too..

Please shed some light if you got an idea.. thanks for being so nice and sharing ur insights..
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 122
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:32
rishu19 wrote:
Thanks Ducksworth and ASAP.. I have done quite a bit of research.

I found Rotman more aligned to finance and have the opinion that they charge a justifiable premium..

What I didnt like when i saw Rotman's placement report is that the compensations seem to be slightly lower than consulting
This is generally not the case, and def not with IB or WM.. research/analytics maybe yes..
Also, the lower bounds are quite low.. do u know why that is the case?

Second there was no PE/HF recruitment listed in their career report. (PE listed in other with commercial banking and the total
amounts to 9%. The only reason i can think they are merged, despite being poles apart, is that PE recruitment was very low)
Are there very few PE/HFs in Canada?

And lastly, as per BW, Rotman does not have a very good reputation for career services..(schulich even more so)
they claim 64% of jobs were taken through job posting and other services, but do the jobs that lie in the higher bands
fall within this 64%.. or the better paying jobs are taken through personal networks??
They have also missed out on averages by geographic regions, its possible that the 4% US placements take a lions share
of good numbers.. not sure here too..

Please shed some light if you got an idea.. thanks for being so nice and sharing ur insights..



Whatever you decide, never become an investment advisor (stock broker). Cold calling is brutal and does not work.

_________________

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 15:54
I don't really know the details about Rotman's placement record, but my understanding is that it is simple supply vs. demand. There are very few jobs in finance in Toronto and lots of people looking for them. If you cannot get into IB you have to take whatever comes your way, and this might mean risk management or commercial banking. All this naturally pushes salaries down.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [3] , given: 215

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 16:34
3
This post received
KUDOS
A few random thoughts:

* The quality of education for finance is about the same in Rotman and Schulich, both being really strong. Actually, if you look at their curricula, Schulich is probably even better. Anyway, just in terms of the quality of its courses, I really think both schools are underrated for finance and actually are on the same level as the world's best finance programmes.

* From what I saw when I visited both schools, the quality of students is considerably higher at Rotman. This is probably a reflection of Schulich's very relaxed admission process.

* The very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto are basically only open to graduates from Ivey and Rotman. Furthermore, UT has a great reputation around the world and could open many doors in the future. York, well, still has a long way to go.

* The location could not be any more different. Rotman is in one of the best places in the whole world. Schulich is in an OK campus, far from the city, and surrounded by a dodgy neighbourhood. More importantly, Rotman is very close to the financial district and this can make a massive difference for job hunting.

* All in all, I feel Schulich is a safer bet: low risk, low reward. Rotman, the complete opposite.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Location: Canada
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:27
Ducksworth wrote:
A few random thoughts:

* The quality of education for finance is about the same in Rotman and Schulich, both being really strong. Actually, if you look at their curricula, Schulich is probably even better. Anyway, just in terms of the quality of its courses, I really think both schools are underrated for finance and actually are on the same level as the world's best finance programmes.

* From what I saw when I visited both schools, the quality of students is considerably higher at Rotman. This is probably a reflection of Schulich's very relaxed admission process.

* The very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto are basically only open to graduates from Ivey and Rotman. Furthermore, UT has a great reputation around the world and could open many doors in the future. York, well, still has a long way to go.

* The location could not be any more different. Rotman is in one of the best places in the whole world. Schulich is in an OK campus, far from the city, and surrounded by a dodgy neighbourhood. More importantly, Rotman is very close to the financial district and this can make a massive difference for job hunting.

* All in all, I feel Schulich is a safer bet: low risk, low reward. Rotman, the complete opposite.


This is a very well thought out post Ducksworth. The only thing I would add is that Schulich's down town campus is located in the heart of financial district and that diminishes much of the proximity advantage for Rotman.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:33
Ducksworth wrote:
A few random thoughts:

* The quality of education for finance is about the same in Rotman and Schulich, both being really strong. Actually, if you look at their curricula, Schulich is probably even better. Anyway, just in terms of the quality of its courses, I really think both schools are underrated for finance and actually are on the same level as the world's best finance programmes.

* From what I saw when I visited both schools, the quality of students is considerably higher at Rotman. This is probably a reflection of Schulich's very relaxed admission process.

* The very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto are basically only open to graduates from Ivey and Rotman. Furthermore, UT has a great reputation around the world and could open many doors in the future. York, well, still has a long way to go.

* The location could not be any more different. Rotman is in one of the best places in the whole world. Schulich is in an OK campus, far from the city, and surrounded by a dodgy neighbourhood. More importantly, Rotman is very close to the financial district and this can make a massive difference for job hunting.

* All in all, I feel Schulich is a safer bet: low risk, low reward. Rotman, the complete opposite.



This is really nice info.. thanks a ton Ducksworth..I would say I had idea about everything else except Pt.3 above..and that is a massive difference to me.. Thanks again for being so generous with ur time and knowledge
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 09:02
deadlycat wrote:
This is a very well thought out post Ducksworth. The only thing I would add is that Schulich's down town campus is located in the heart of financial district and that diminishes much of the proximity advantage for Rotman.


Hi deadlycat. Didn't know about Shulich's downtown campus. Can you share what you know? Thanks!!!!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 122
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 09:11
Ducksworth wrote:
A few random thoughts:

* The quality of education for finance is about the same in Rotman and Schulich, both being really strong. Actually, if you look at their curricula, Schulich is probably even better. Anyway, just in terms of the quality of its courses, I really think both schools are underrated for finance and actually are on the same level as the world's best finance programmes.

* From what I saw when I visited both schools, the quality of students is considerably higher at Rotman. This is probably a reflection of Schulich's very relaxed admission process.

* The very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto are basically only open to graduates from Ivey and Rotman. Furthermore, UT has a great reputation around the world and could open many doors in the future. York, well, still has a long way to go.

* The location could not be any more different. Rotman is in one of the best places in the whole world. Schulich is in an OK campus, far from the city, and surrounded by a dodgy neighbourhood. More importantly, Rotman is very close to the financial district and this can make a massive difference for job hunting.

* All in all, I feel Schulich is a safer bet: low risk, low reward. Rotman, the complete opposite.



Ducksworth, what do you base point 3 on? I have friends who work at BMO capital markets and TD securities on Bay street, know people who work for GS and UBS on wallstreet and know people who have been picked up by McKinsey in Montreal and Toronto. All of these MBA grads went to McGill. I think it's more to do with the likelihood of the graduate to seek the position in question, than it is the positions only being open to certain schools.

_________________

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:14
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth, what do you base point 3 on? I have friends who work at BMO capital markets and TD securities on Bay street, know people who work for GS and UBS on wallstreet and know people who have been picked up by McKinsey in Montreal and Toronto. All of these MBA grads went to McGill. I think it's more to do with the likelihood of the graduate to seek the position in question, than it is the positions only being open to certain schools.


By "very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto" I meant front-office bulge-bracket investment banking. So basically sales/trading or traditional IB (M&A, etc.). Note I am referring to jobs in Toronto.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 122
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:32
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth, what do you base point 3 on? I have friends who work at BMO capital markets and TD securities on Bay street, know people who work for GS and UBS on wallstreet and know people who have been picked up by McKinsey in Montreal and Toronto. All of these MBA grads went to McGill. I think it's more to do with the likelihood of the graduate to seek the position in question, than it is the positions only being open to certain schools.


By "very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto" I meant front-office bulge-bracket investment banking. So basically sales/trading or traditional IB (M&A, etc.). Note I am referring to jobs in Toronto.


We're talking the same language. BMO CM and TD S have offices in Toronto and are in the IB and trading space. I'm almost certain with a bit of digging we could find some McGill graduates at RBC CM, CIBC WM, etc. I really have a hard time believing that McGill grads would be turned away at the door just because they didn`t go to Ivey/Rotman/Schulich.

Check these three links out:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... stics.aspx
http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/docs/IveyMBA ... Report.pdf
http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs ... ment-stats

_________________

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Location: Canada
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 10

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
Hi deadlycat. Didn't know about Shulich's downtown campus. Can you share what you know? Thanks!!!!


Sure, Schulich downtown campus is called Nadal Centre and it's located in the Ernst & Young Tower, 222 Bay St. I'm quite familiar with it because most of my courses are taught there. The student population there are mostly part timers who work full time in the financial district or the down town core, but there are quite a few full time students that attend the lectures there because of convenience. The campus is geared toward working professionals and currently, it is only open after 5pm. The classrooms sit empty during the day.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 14:06
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth, what do you base point 3 on? I have friends who work at BMO capital markets and TD securities on Bay street, know people who work for GS and UBS on wallstreet and know people who have been picked up by McKinsey in Montreal and Toronto. All of these MBA grads went to McGill. I think it's more to do with the likelihood of the graduate to seek the position in question, than it is the positions only being open to certain schools.


By "very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto" I meant front-office bulge-bracket investment banking. So basically sales/trading or traditional IB (M&A, etc.). Note I am referring to jobs in Toronto.


We're talking the same language. BMO CM and TD S have offices in Toronto and are in the IB and trading space. I'm almost certain with a bit of digging we could find some McGill graduates at RBC CM, CIBC WM, etc. I really have a hard time believing that McGill grads would be turned away at the door just because they didn`t go to Ivey/Rotman/Schulich.

Check these three links out:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... stics.aspx
http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/docs/IveyMBA ... Report.pdf
http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs ... ment-stats



This is interesting, does Mcgill always post max salaries this high. Or this is a one time thing?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 14:06
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Ducksworth, what do you base point 3 on? I have friends who work at BMO capital markets and TD securities on Bay street, know people who work for GS and UBS on wallstreet and know people who have been picked up by McKinsey in Montreal and Toronto. All of these MBA grads went to McGill. I think it's more to do with the likelihood of the graduate to seek the position in question, than it is the positions only being open to certain schools.


By "very prestigious jobs in finance within Toronto" I meant front-office bulge-bracket investment banking. So basically sales/trading or traditional IB (M&A, etc.). Note I am referring to jobs in Toronto.


We're talking the same language. BMO CM and TD S have offices in Toronto and are in the IB and trading space. I'm almost certain with a bit of digging we could find some McGill graduates at RBC CM, CIBC WM, etc. I really have a hard time believing that McGill grads would be turned away at the door just because they didn`t go to Ivey/Rotman/Schulich.

Check these three links out:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... stics.aspx
http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/docs/IveyMBA ... Report.pdf
http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs ... ment-stats



This is interesting, does Mcgill always post avg salaries this high. Are the grads here getting the better jobs? Or this is a one time thing?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 122
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 14:21
Quote:
This is interesting, does Mcgill always post avg salaries this high. Are the grads here getting the better jobs? Or this is a one time thing?


Over the last three years (since they went private), the graduating salaries have risen about $5k a year. If a certain class graduates more consultants or investment bankers, the average salary is generally pulled higher. Some grads also land the odd home run marketing positions for $200k+.

_________________

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Re: iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 14:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman or Schulich sumitkapila 1 08 May 2013, 01:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman Vs. Schulich krussell 4 04 Mar 2010, 23:44
3 Rotman Vs. Schulich krussell 14 04 Mar 2010, 23:43
IIM Ahmedabad, India vsaxenaGMAT 8 29 Jun 2007, 11:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

iim ahmedabad or rotman or schulich

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.