Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school to join?

• 10% [2]
  • 90% [18]
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 144

Reviews Badge
IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello All

I am in a dilemma when choosing between the two schools. Would really appreciate feedback from fellow forum members. I have been lucky to be accepted at IIM Bangalore PGP and UCLA Anderson two year MBA with $40K total scholarship over the two years. Below is my quick profile

I am originally from India, but have called 7 seven cities home across 5 countries, mostly in Middle-East. I have a background in biotechnology and ran a personalized gift company, Craftila for over a year in Bangalore, India. I have also worked with an UN offshoot in India as a consultant. I am currently working in Bahrain for a engineering trading company in a business development role.

In short run, I am looking to work for a pharma MNC or life science practice of a consulting company.

Work Ex: 3.5 years

Concerns with IIM-Bangalore
Heavily focussed on Academic
Indian teaching system
Limited diversity
Young and inexperienced peer group

Concerns with UCLA
Post MBA challenges - Limited H1B visas
1 year post MBA cushion period can be scrapped.
Heavy debt - $100K 10 year debt.

Advantages of IIM Bangalore
One of the top 3 B schools in the country
Life long band name
Light on pocket
No visa hurdles

Advantages of UCLA
Global brand name
Huge Alumni base
One of the best cities to live
Great diversity, great exposure and great program.

Will really really appreciate comments.

Cheers

--
Piyush Jain
GMAT Debrief | Personal Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 12:17
Expert's post
Well, where do you want to work when you graduate? If you want to live in the US, UCLA is your best bet. If you want to stay in India, go with the IIM.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
The programs are very different. You would need to decide -
1. Where you want to work post MBA. Very few (if at all) folks end up in the US from IIM B. If you want to come back to the middle east, Id give a very slight edge to B. You may also consider the jobs at each school. For me, they are very different.
2.) Whether you are in a position to pick up a big loan.
3.) Your MBA experience - you would definitely be at the higher end of work ex. at IIM B. Typically, 50% of the class is fresh out of college. Obviously, the whole experience is less richer.
4.) Your risk appetite - as you mentioned, recruiting is fairly straightforward at B. UCLA, could be a bit more tricky, especially with visa constraints.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 03:35
Hmm I think this situation is based on your interest that where you want to stay after the completion of your education because it will be better for you. If you are planning to go abroad for a life time so you have to go to US for MBA otherwise India will be the answer of your question. If you are still in a dilemma so you can contact with Selective Consultants Pvt. Ltd. they will give you best counseling which helps you in your future.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
It primarily depends on your risk appetite. It is not about comparing two schools. I think you should be comparing two countries.

I will encourage you to get in touch with the Alums of both the schools. Find out more about the IIM Executive MBA( I am assuming that you are referring to the Executive Program) and understand the roles they are playing in the Indian markets. Evaluate what is it that you are keen on doing in the future.

If you are concerned with the Tuition/Loan of an expensive US School, I will recommend you apply for a Canadian Citizenship the moment you fly to UCLA. Let the clock of citizenship tick and take its own time. By the time you graduate from the school, you will be a Canadian citizen. In the wake of VISA rejection from the US, your plan B will be to work in Canada.

UCLA Anyday. Go for it. You cannot compare that exposure with what you will gain in Bangalore.

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [3] , given: 100

Premium Member
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
On top of everything that has been said, i would go with Anderson. The Indian economy, is becoming globalized. What this means is that, although you can hide from the global economy for the next five years (yay...don't have to deal with visas, etc), what happens in ten years when a person with an Anderson MBA comes home to India and applies for same executive job as you? Who would the top company in India pick? Recently, the Indian govt. picked a booth prof. (who is Indian) to lead the Indian Central Bank. Doesn't mean there were no others who have experience in India.

International mobility should be one of your concerns right now, because it will have an impact on your career years from now. Anderson balances both your immediate plans (though painful), plus your future plans. On the other hand, the other school helps with your immediate plans, but in the long run, it won't help you that much.

Anderson, the clear choice.

Like my posts? Please support me by awarding Kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
It really boils down to your risk appetite. I am surprised by the fact that NUS dinged you while UCLA accepted you. Just goes to show how GMAT focussed Asian Business Schools are.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 144

Reviews Badge
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 05:43
Thank you all.

--
Piyush Jain

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 22:39
What about ISB Vs. UCLA Anderson?

ISB (Indian School of Business, Hyderabad) is considered better than most Indian B-Schools (including IIMs) in many aspects such as global exposure, placements etc..

If we take money (fees) out of the picture, which one will you choose?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
LeoDiCaprio wrote:
What about ISB Vs. UCLA Anderson?

ISB (Indian School of Business, Hyderabad) is considered better than most Indian B-Schools (including IIMs) in many aspects such as global exposure, placements etc..

If we take money (fees) out of the picture, which one will you choose?

ISB does not really provide you with global exposure. Anderson is one of best business school out there. It would be provide you with a truly amazing education, a global network and prestige. ISB is a great Indian school, the operative word there is "Indian". India is not a world leader or the largest economy or the country that monopolizes and also revolutionized business education. Go to the place where you get the opportunity to learn from the best. Even if you are coming back to India to work. Anderson will have a better impact on your career especially because there so many Indian candidates getting their MBAs from the top schools in the world.

The only way I would choose ISB over top US business schools is that if you are gonna work for your family business.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
In addition to what has been said, ISB makes sense for Indian Applicants who are looking to work in India for the following reasons

- CAT pattern of IIM is erratic and not suitable for working professionals. in the sense it require 3 times the preparation of GMAT and is offered only in a narrow window of 1 week.
- The total number of seats at ISB is 770, with almost 97% kids are of Indian citizenship. Now the total number of enrolled students at US Top 50 School is ~11,000. I think of this 7% are Indians(out of total of 30% international applicants). So basically you have equal number of Indians at top 50 US Business School all put together and at ISB. I also believe the average GMAT of Indians at these schools in same as GMAT score at ISB ~ 700. So in effect by applying to ISB you are applying to all Top 50 Business Schools in one go. I know I am making some assumptions here. But would like to see what all have to say about this.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 00:59
AbhiJ wrote:
In addition to what has been said, ISB makes sense for Indian Applicants who are looking to work in India for the following reasons

- CAT pattern of IIM is erratic and not suitable for working professionals. in the sense it require 3 times the preparation of GMAT and is offered only in a narrow window of 1 week.
- The total number of seats at ISB is 770, with almost 97% kids are of Indian citizenship. Now the total number of enrolled students at US Top 50 School is ~11,000. I think of this 7% are Indians(out of total of 30% international applicants). So basically you have equal number of Indians at top 50 US Business School all put together and at ISB. I also believe the average GMAT of Indians at these schools in same as GMAT score at ISB ~ 700. So in effect by applying to ISB you are applying to all Top 50 Business Schools in one go. I know I am making some assumptions here. But would like to see what all have to say about this.

You bring up some good points but I don't fully comprehend applying to ISB=applying at the top 50 US b schools point.

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 05:23
The point is that almost everyone I know who applied to ISB was admitted. Maybe rejects have NOT projected themselves. What I am trying to say is ISB is a good option for people who want to increase their admission chances.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It really depends on the type of experience you want out of b-school. Your most likely exit for UCLA in pharma with be in some kind of rotation program, that provide you with global perspective before sending you back to India, due to work authorization issues. Consulting isn’t a strong suit for UCLA, even if you go into consulting, it is very likely that you’ll have to find another job in 2-4 years, in which case you’ll have to confront the visa issue again.

For IIM-B, your opportunity will be limited in India. While you may miss out on the international rotations, you will benefit from building your network and credibility within the company, which will give you an advantage vs coming in from international rotation without connections in the local market.

In my opinion, if it’s IIM-A vs UCLA, there’s a good case for IIM-A (IIM-A has great access to top tier consulting). For IIM-B vs. UCLA, it’s an equal proposition, pending your career goals.

Diversity

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 144

Reviews Badge
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 03:08
Matriculating at Anderson. Thank you all.

--
Piyush Jain

Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 03:08