Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP. [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 06:14
Hello gmatmembers!

English isnt my native language, it's the third. and im going to take the GMAT, I have no issue to study english books as I learnt by myself! My english level now is upper-intermediate. I am pretty good at math, but I am truly deeply terrified of the verbal, IR, AWA sections!!! as my vocabulary isn't that good, nor that wide :(

How can a non-english speaker that learnt the language alone! with no such a practice with natives. be well prepared for the GMAT! and get no less than 750 score! .. and i wont mind hitting the 800 as well! *wink*

im lost as there're no institutes here where i live to prepare me for the gmat!! I made a lot of research, about gmat books!! will I be good with " manhattan 8 guides', verbal 2ed. quant 2ed" + punch of youtube gmat videos?

What books helped you the most? Name it and im getting it!

*I'd do anything to get a high score. theres no chance for me to lose. thats my challenge! -Madeline.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 29

Re: Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP. [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Assuming you are applying next Fall:

- Read online articles from news and magazine sources. Bookmark them and read a bunch every day. It doesn't matter what the content is, as long as its in English and not a blog or some media source which doesn't have professional editor. The Economist, BusinessWeek, Washington Post, The Onion, HuffPost, AskMen, chick stuff, whatever. Read a bunch of articles every day on any topical online sources which are of interest to you.

- Do the same thing with books if you like. Fiction or non-fiction. Haven't read much but want to read something that makes you laugh? Go get any one of P.G. Wodehouse's books - anything in the Uncle Fred series is great. You'll keep entertained. If you run across a word or phrase which doesn't make sense, look it up. Or start reading romance novels if you're a girl; every girl I know seems to be addicted to them. :lol: Probably says more about me than them.

- Write short stories in English or start a blog and make a post every day on it on anything you like. Weather, varieties of kittens, cartoons, whatever you like.

Do these everyday for 2-3 hours for 6 months and you'll be amazed how dramatically improved your English is, even though at the start on a day-to-day basis you may feel you're not improving or not by enough.

Reading a lot is important for those not comfortable with English because:

1] This will help you more than anything on RC

2] SC relies on having an 'ear' for English, with high level rules used to 'close the gap' to the tight solution. it isn't possible to memorize every possible rule of the English language and apply them in 1:30 to a problem. You can go about memorizing idioms and such (I haven't and am not going to), but unless you have an ear for grammar, you'll struggle on the medium-hard questions. The only way to get an ear is to read lots.

3] CR is about logic, not grammar, but you still need to have a decent grammar to clearly make out the logical connections between statements and their validity.

Read like a typhoon for a few month and then look over these forums for GMAT specific book suggestions. I wouldn't go straight to the CR and SC books people suggest to master for a 700+ score before you get a fluency for grammar. The best way to do that is by reading a lot, not memorizing a thousand rules. :)

So an example of your plan would be:

A] Read like crazy any material in English: 4-6 months. Say Dec - Mar. If you start with GMAT material right now you will cause yourself a lot of frustration and despair, especially if you want a 700+ with below-average (compared to native or native-like English readers) overall English comprehension.

B] Start GMAT prep in April. Take the free MGMAT Test. Depending on your score grab the appropriate materials out of stickied threads.

C] Take the GMAT in June. Start working on Essays etc.

D] In case something goes wrong, you happen to be sick or get the nerves on test day, you can take the GMAT again in July.

Disclaimer: I haven't taken the GMAT yet myself, so take this for whatever its worth. If someone comes around with a 750+ score in their profile, take their advice more seriously than mine. :)

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP. [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 12:05
Zenverse wrote:

Thank you so much, I am a Girl.

you're right!! my english has improved by reading! I am a systems analyst, i do read books about my field in english, as well listening to english music, movies, english tv channels .. i try to catch any new words and know what it means... I loved the idea of reading biz articles!!

but unfortunately, Im taking the test on late May - 2013! .. so, the plan is, to read much for one month, and then study hard for 4months before the test day..., I have no fears about the quant section, I've covered the advanced math in 2 different languages. but the other sections freaking me out!! .. Any useful books?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP. [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 18:53
madeleinejo wrote:
Zenverse wrote:

Thank you so much, I am a Girl.
Any useful books?

Apply to Wharton.

For books, read the sticky thread in this form: Best GMAT Books - 2012. :) Good luck!

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Re: Im not english, and im taking the gmat! HELP.   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 18:53