Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Im totally new to GMAT. Some clarifications needed please..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Im totally new to GMAT. Some clarifications needed please.. [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 14:25
Hi

im totally new to gmat, never tried taking an exam....i went to their official site and i see there are 3 sections, verbal, math and writing.

in this forum, i see people all talking about verbal and math, and no one ever mentioned writing...

is there something that im missing?!

what is also rc sc cr?

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 14:34
Welcome to GMAT Club. I encourage you to spend a few hours reading through posts and articles on the website. I am sure you will have more information then.

There is a writing component on the GMAT. But no one has really expressed interest in having a writing forum here.

CR - Critical Reasoning
RC - Reading Comprehension
SC - Sentence Correction

Some general posts that will help you get started:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14126

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14833

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14792

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15523

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4248

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6987

Again, welcome to the GMAT Club. Please try to participate in the discussions.

regards
Praetorian
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 20:30
Hi HiSoC8Y,

Welcome :)

Well, you are right. In GMAT there are following sections:

1) Analytical Writing Asessment (AWA)
a) Analysis of Argument (30mins)
b) Analysis of Issue (30 mins)

2) Verbal (75mins)
a) Senetence Correction (SC)
b) Critical Reasoning (CR)
c) Reading Comprehension (RC)

3) Quantitative (75mins)
a) Problem Solving
b) Data Sufficiency

In verbal & quantitative section the sub-sections are not separate, rather mixed.

As Pret said, just spend some time on our forum browsing through posts, you will get the idea. Also, key is to participate through discussions over different questions!

All the best to you & see you around!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 09:06
Hello HiSoC8Y;

It can be confusing, sorry for that. The reason people don't often mention the AWA section, is because the AWA is scored in a different manner than the Verbal and Quantitative sections; the 200-800 score you receive will have nothing, in fact, to do with your AWA, which will score between 0.0 and 6.0 in half-point increments.

People obsess on the GMAT score without the AWA for two reasons. First, they often only see a requirement for a GMAT score, which naturally drives attention to it. Unfortunately for some, the AWA can trip up a promising student if it is out-of-line with the rest of the GMAT. For instance, even a 700+ GMAT can be worrisome if the AWA is 3.0 or lower, because it would indicate that the student might have difficulty expressing ideas and conversation in class, which would lead to lower class grades, a definite obstacle to Admission attractiveness.

Fortunately, while I recommend some practice for the AWA, it really is a simpler mission than a top Verbal score, and much easier than a perfect 'Quant' score. You basically need three things to ace the AWA;

1. Good length, so you can show you are touching all the bases and addressing the issues in detail, not just brushing the surface;

2. Good order, addressing the topic in proper sequence and with a logical structure; and

3. Readibility, because no one likes to read a dry, boring essay.

I got a 6.0 on my AWA by following those three rules. Jot down some notes you want to say, put them in order that presents your argument then supports it, and write in a light conversational tone that is enjoyable if you were the guy who had to read it.

The most valuable thing about the AWA, to me at least, is that if you can put together a good short essay in 30 minutes under the pressure of the GMAT, then you should feel good about your ability to produce a winning essay with your application. Also, once you are in class that same ability will help you stand out in expressing your points and observations.

Good luck.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 01:18
Hi, I am in the same situation with HiSoC8Y. I register this forum 2 or 3 years ago, for searching only. But now, I really pay attention to GMAT and am prepared to take a test in the coming time.

Very delighted to be advised!

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2007, 17:36
great!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 02:14
Well yes you are right..Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2007, 13:06
If you cannot write in a clear and concise manner you should not be attending B-school. Thus, there is no preparation needed for the AWA section.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 12:16
Quote:
If you cannot write in a clear and concise manner you should not be attending B-school. Thus, there is no preparation needed for the AWA section.

Although I think that you are correct in that you should be able to write well already, I think that it is important to at least practice writing the essays in the 30 min. allotted for each. I just want to make sure that I am able to divide my time properly for brainstorming, writing, and proofreading.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 16:57
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. All I can say is "If there is a will there is a way"
Intern
Intern

Re: Im totally new to GMAT. Some clarifications needed pleas [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 21:20
Yes, GMAT has three sections 1) Analytical Writing 2) Verbal section and 3) Quantitative Section.

1) Analytical Writing consists of two, 30 minute essays to be written on the computer

The purpose of analytical writing is to see if the examinee can:

a) Articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively b) Examine claims and accaompanying evidence and c) Support ideas with relevant reasons and examples.

You may visit Manya Education site

cr - critical reasoning, rc - reading comprehension, sc - sentence correction

HiSoC8Y wrote:
Hi

im totally new to gmat, never tried taking an exam....i went to their official site and i see there are 3 sections, verbal, math and writing.

in this forum, i see people all talking about verbal and math, and no one ever mentioned writing...

is there something that im missing?!

what is also rc sc cr?

thanks
Re: Im totally new to GMAT. Some clarifications needed pleas   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2007, 21:20