Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 20:57
I would like some advice on retaking the GMAT based on an imbalanced score if any of you would be so kind.

Quickly (I hope), my background is as follows:

I'm a gmatclub newbie, sorry. I'm 23 and work full time. I go to school full time online 3.4 GPA (but its Grand Canyon University so I'm not sure how much that counts). I jacked up my shoulder two weeks ago and haven't been able to work so I used the time to study for the GMAT (about 5 hours a day for 10 days) as I had been considering a graduate program. I downloaded the official gmat prep software and expansion pack and tested a 590, 650 , 610 respectively on the diagnostic tests. I took the GMAT earlier tonight and just really felt like I bombed it (600 with a 35Q and 38V or 36th and 84th percentiles respectively). I'm a grown-a** man and it isn't an awful score but I'm crushed anyway.

With that undeserving sob story in mind, I had a couple questions.

1. I have read a few places that it is extremely rare to bring up a score 100 points (in my case a 600 to a 700). However, I also read that the quantitative section is the easiest to improve. Is it probable that with about 3-4 months time and a strong practice plan I can bring my quant score up to around the 75th percentile from the Q34-Q36 range?

2. Instead of pursuing my dream school I have considered going to CSUF for their MBA program and while my score is above the average will a less prestigious school like this reject me for the quant/verbal imbalance?

3. Personal pride aside, would it be worth it to you guys if you were in my shoes and had my limited quant abilities to pursue that score near the 700 range?

Thanks for your time guys. I know there are a million of me with the same questions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
seekevinrun wrote:
I would like some advice on retaking the GMAT based on an imbalanced score if any of you would be so kind.

Quickly (I hope), my background is as follows:

I'm a gmatclub newbie, sorry. I'm 23 and work full time. I go to school full time online 3.4 GPA (but its Grand Canyon University so I'm not sure how much that counts). I jacked up my shoulder two weeks ago and haven't been able to work so I used the time to study for the GMAT (about 5 hours a day for 10 days) as I had been considering a graduate program. I downloaded the official gmat prep software and expansion pack and tested a 590, 650 , 610 respectively on the diagnostic tests. I took the GMAT earlier tonight and just really felt like I bombed it (600 with a 35Q and 38V or 36th and 84th percentiles respectively). I'm a grown-a** man and it isn't an awful score but I'm crushed anyway.

With that undeserving sob story in mind, I had a couple questions.

1. I have read a few places that it is extremely rare to bring up a score 100 points (in my case a 600 to a 700). However, I also read that the quantitative section is the easiest to improve. Is it probable that with about 3-4 months time and a strong practice plan I can bring my quant score up to around the 75th percentile from the Q34-Q36 range?

2. Instead of pursuing my dream school I have considered going to CSUF for their MBA program and while my score is above the average will a less prestigious school like this reject me for the quant/verbal imbalance?

3. Personal pride aside, would it be worth it to you guys if you were in my shoes and had my limited quant abilities to pursue that score near the 700 range?

Thanks for your time guys. I know there are a million of me with the same questions.

Seeing that you prepared for only ten days, I really do feel that you should go for a retake. A 35Q maybe indicates a weakness in the basics. I would suggest going over them once more. IMHO, a 100 point increase in your case is definitely possible. P.S : Follow Bunuel.. His posts will do a world of good for your Quants. I would also suggest to take all the other free CAT tests available online.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 21:21
Seeing that you prepared for only ten days, I really do feel that you should go for a retake. A 35Q maybe indicates a weakness in the basics. I would suggest going over them once more. IMHO, a 100 point increase in your case is definitely possible. P.S : Follow Bunuel.. His posts will do a world of good for your Quants. I would also suggest to take all the other free CAT tests available online.[/quote]

Thanks! That is an encouraging opinion and gives me some places to start. Kudos I appreciate it!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 23

Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
seekevinrun wrote:

I also worked f/t while studying f/t so I know what you're going through! (although I went to a state school) Improve your quant into the low 40s and depending on your work experience I think you might be able to think about UCI or Claremont, assuming you'd like to stay in CA. Both of those are much better than any of the CSUs. As another young applicant, I think you should also consider how deep in the barrel you want to reach, because employment stats at the lower/un-ranked schools can be atrocious.
Intern
Intern

Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:07
jxcho wrote:
I also worked f/t while studying f/t so I know what you're going through! (although I went to a state school) Improve your quant into the low 40s and depending on your work experience I think you might be able to think about UCI or Claremont, assuming you'd like to stay in CA. Both of those are much better than any of the CSUs. As another young applicant, I think you should also consider how deep in the barrel you want to reach, because employment stats at the lower/un-ranked schools can be atrocious.

I had considered UCI although it seems as though they are expensive in relation to their prestige/rank and what not. Thanks for the tip good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 11:06
Well, a lot of people on this forum would happy give their left testicle for a 38V, especially after just 10 days of studying. Yes, it's really tough to increase your score from a 600 to a 700, but it does happen, and you clearly have some pretty strong underlying verbal skills--and that's often the hardest thing to improve. You might have to work really hard to get the quant up there, but it's doable if you're able to put in the time and energy. And I'm also betting that you have room to improve on verbal as well. With enough practice, you might be the sort of guy who could get to a 45Q/42V sort of score, and that would put you comfortably above a 700.

I don't know a ton about the MBA programs you mentioned, but the score imbalance is rarely an issue at less-selective regional programs. If you're comfortably above their average GMAT and if your GPA is solid, then you're probably fine.

I also don't know much about your goals, but you seem like an ambitious guy, and I don't see any reason why you couldn't put yourself into a good position to get into top-25 schools. My hunch is that the GMAT is beatable in your case, and you could spend the next couple of years trying to move your career (and extracurriculars?) in directions that will make you a stronger MBA candidate. Nothing against CSUF or UCI, but if you have any desire to get into, say, UCLA or USC, I don't see any reason why you couldn't make it happen in the long run, even if your undergraduate program isn't all that prestigious. Just some food for thought.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern

Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 11:36
Thanks ninja. That was a really informative and encouraging post. I wish I could reciprocate all of the great help.

I think I should be able improve my verbal as I only studied for quant. Got a 42 on first practice test and didn't bother studying because i knew it was all about quant for me. Maybe quant a bit as well. When i took the GMAT I accidentally ran out of time on int. reasoning so I already felt like I blew it and then just stumbled through quant feeling resigned to a bad score. Again thanks for the response I'm beginning to think I should bunker down for a long GMAT/MBA battle.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2013, 11:36