Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Imbalanced Scores at Mediocre Schools [#permalink]
Seeing that you prepared for only ten days, I really do feel that you should go for a retake. A 35Q maybe indicates a weakness in the basics. I would suggest going over them once more. IMHO, a 100 point increase in your case is definitely possible. P.S : Follow Bunuel.. His posts will do a world of good for your Quants. I would also suggest to take all the other free CAT tests available online.[/quote]

Thanks! That is an encouraging opinion and gives me some places to start. Kudos I appreciate it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jxcho wrote:
I also worked f/t while studying f/t so I know what you're going through! (although I went to a state school) Improve your quant into the low 40s and depending on your work experience I think you might be able to think about UCI or Claremont, assuming you'd like to stay in CA. Both of those are much better than any of the CSUs. As another young applicant, I think you should also consider how deep in the barrel you want to reach, because employment stats at the lower/un-ranked schools can be atrocious.

I had considered UCI although it seems as though they are expensive in relation to their prestige/rank and what not. Thanks for the tip good luck!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, a lot of people on this forum would happy give their left testicle for a 38V, especially after just 10 days of studying. Yes, it's really tough to increase your score from a 600 to a 700, but it does happen, and you clearly have some pretty strong underlying verbal skills--and that's often the hardest thing to improve. You might have to work really hard to get the quant up there, but it's doable if you're able to put in the time and energy. And I'm also betting that you have room to improve on verbal as well. With enough practice, you might be the sort of guy who could get to a 45Q/42V sort of score, and that would put you comfortably above a 700.

I don't know a ton about the MBA programs you mentioned, but the score imbalance is rarely an issue at less-selective regional programs. If you're comfortably above their average GMAT and if your GPA is solid, then you're probably fine.

I also don't know much about your goals, but you seem like an ambitious guy, and I don't see any reason why you couldn't put yourself into a good position to get into top-25 schools. My hunch is that the GMAT is beatable in your case, and you could spend the next couple of years trying to move your career (and extracurriculars?) in directions that will make you a stronger MBA candidate. Nothing against CSUF or UCI, but if you have any desire to get into, say, UCLA or USC, I don't see any reason why you couldn't make it happen in the long run, even if your undergraduate program isn't all that prestigious. Just some food for thought.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks ninja. That was a really informative and encouraging post. I wish I could reciprocate all of the great help.

I think I should be able improve my verbal as I only studied for quant. Got a 42 on first practice test and didn't bother studying because i knew it was all about quant for me. Maybe quant a bit as well. When i took the GMAT I accidentally ran out of time on int. reasoning so I already felt like I blew it and then just stumbled through quant feeling resigned to a bad score. Again thanks for the response I'm beginning to think I should bunker down for a long GMAT/MBA battle.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot