Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

IMD MBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

OFFICIAL Ask IMD Admissions - Ask questions directly to the adcom, right here on GMAT Club.

IMD Aspirants!
It is now close to 2 weeks when the applications for IMD 2013 batch will open. I thought this would be a good time to start this thread.
Let us share and collaborate.

IMD Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add IMD to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List

~
iamgame

Time to play the game...

Last edited by bb on 24 Jan 2013, 11:12, edited 3 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IMD '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.97
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 2

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
So, there I am in a pub with a bunch of belly-dancers shaking various parts of their bodies around me and holding a pint of Bombardier in my hand... And suddenly my phone rings with +41 on it!!! :)) I storm outside, pick up and hear Lisa's voice -- I have an offer!! :)

I guess I gonna stay at the pub for a little while then :))
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
My name is Thibaut, i am French and i am a 2012 MBA candidate. We have just started the year in Lausanne yesterday and already had to pick our choice for the start-up project (presented this morning and deadline by 8pm tonite...) !
I am writing here because last year during the application process, the GMATclub forum had been a wonderful place to share experiences and get some comfort and motivation, especially during the essay writing periods...
I applied for R1 2011 and got accepted in March. You can check my posts from last year.
So if you have any question for a current candidate please shoot.

One advice though. If you are serious about IMD, please apply as early as possible because they look for different profiles and will not have 2 people in the class with the same background i'd say. For example, for our year, Russians have applied a lot and got accepted early so (4 this year i think) so it was nearly impossible to get a spot later on.
We have 48 nationalities out of 90.

Thibaut
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Have been away from this forum, because I had my assessment day in on the 15th May, and was travelling in france after that. Although I must say, I didn't enjoy the beautiful weather of the south, because my thoughts were mostly elsewhere, worrying about whether IMD will accept me or not.

I got a call from them today at 0830 (swiss time) and they have offered me a place. Now next challenge: funding.

Anyway, this forum has been really helpful and let me add to all those great posts that people have posted describing their assessment days in 2012 and 2013.

1. Impromptu case: No need for preparation. You can just practice a bit on transparency and try making 3 slides for short cases. The case would be a really one-page case and anyone will be able to give recommendations. Really very simple, just monitor time and be organized on paper and on slides. tips:
a) Don't make more than 3/4 slides, for you'll run out of time (5 min. and yes they'll stop you.)
b) Tell them what you are going to tell them, Tell them, and Tell them what you told them (always have a summary slide which synthesizes all you say).
c) Every one will have the same problem, so unless you are going first, don't repeat the problem, will save you some time.
d) There is a men's room near the interview rooms. In your break (after the preparation and before the presentations) go there and practice in front of the huge mirror; time yourself. Practice gives confidence, and confidence improves performance.
e) The group will have to come back and will be given additional info. Please work well together. No need to assert your point strongly to the group. If you guys come up with a brilliant plan because of you, but you were obnoxious to one or two people, you won't get through. Team-work is the name of the game.

2. Big Case - you'll be given a case which will be discussed by an IMD teacher to see how you interact with the group and simulate a real class. This I think is the easiest part of the day. Tips:
a) Pre-prepare - I don't think we shouldn't pre-prepare, as some people advised. Google google and then google. You'd find some thing or the other. If you know a bit about the history of the case or what happened next, it will only improve your understanding and you'd definitely be able to contribute.
b) Just relax. You will be with many people and focus will only be on you when you are speaking
c) When speaking be polite, find a good chance to speak, don't cut-off any body; basics really.
d) Add your perspective on the matter, your personal spin. e.g. In my city/country this happens and so this company won't perform well. It will add variety to the discussion.
e) You will be asked to do a few tasks in groups. Here is where you need to watch out. Be a team player! Courteous, kind and allowing. Draw in somebody who is not speaking (brownie points there)
f) Finally, speak little, but speak sense and add something new or build on somebody else's comments

3. Interview - Standard is the word here. Although I had one at the end of the day and it was anything but standard; quick, and a pressure kind: Everybody wants to do this these days, you are over-confident etc. But don't worry, rest of the gang had a standard interview. why MBA/IMD sort.
a) Again, prepare.
b) Use the loo if you want to, to practice
c) I listed the stories that I wanted to share and matched them with questions i could anticipate.
d) I used a SARR template (Situation, Actions I took, Result and Reflection); It just makes your stories concise and to the point. Add the learning bit to it, just tells the other person that you are somebody who reflects on his actions/successes/failures.
e) Be yourself, and be confident. They are just testing you. Try to warm up your speaking, by narrating your stories or your history, or your CV with the participants on that day, so that you are warmed up and will fire away from the start in your interview.

Good luck to all.

Oh yes, we had 8 people; in true IMD style: a Pakistani (me), a brazillian, an israeli, a swiss, a polish, a russian, a greek, an american. (Latest news: 4 selected, 1 waitlisted, others - don't know)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (A), IMD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 6

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
mazwaz wrote:
noinpac wrote:
Signed my paperwork. Looking forward to seeing you next year in Lausanne.

Hey Noinpac,

I see that you had an LBS offer as well. If you mind reply, why have you chosen IMD over LBS? I would like to hear the thinking process behind your decision :)

tks,

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting in any way LBS is a bad school, nor that IMD is better than LBS. I'm just stating that given my own goals and my personality, IMD appears better suited for me than LBS. But frankly, had I not been admitted to IMD, I would have accepted LBS without a second of doubt.

Hi,
it took me a few days (and sleepless nights) to come to this conclusion. In a nutshell:
  • I'm 30. That's the par within IMD whereas it'd make me one of the oldies at LBS
  • I intend to continue in the industry (I could extend on this point, because I have strong views on the "industry vs consulting vs finance" flavours of MBA programme): IMD is clearly focused on the industry.
  • IMD has a stronger focus on personal development.
  • IMD is "only" 11 month-long. As I'll be leaving my wife behind, it's much more liveable than 15 to 21 months of absence.
  • Cost-wise, they are roughly equivalent if you only look at the programme alone, but IMD's programme allows me to earn an additional 5 months of salary and to avoid spending an additional 5 months of rent. That makes quite a difference ;) When looking more in depth, there were also more costs included in IMD's fees than LBS (incl. the lunch)
  • A friend of mine (of my age) is doing the executive MBA at LBS. That alone strikes me as odd (it seems a bit young, or conversely it shows I should have applied to the executive programme). I also heard several comments regarding the relative amount of free time left, and I'm definitely not spending that much money to have breaks / free time. IMD on the other hand is more like a "boot camp": it's short but it's intense.
  • I haven't ascertained to what extent LBS's good stats derive from graduates going to do finance in the City (which I do not want to do). So I haven't been able to estimate what would be LBS graduates' stats if you only take them for those going to the industry, and so I decided to take no account about their good stats (salary increase, etc...)
  • IMD's restaurant is outstanding. (Some/many will laugh at this reason, but I know a good meal can make wonders in many aspects)

I could also make a similar list of counter-reasons which make LBS better than IMD, and it is roughly as long. At the end of the day, I felt more aligned with IMD's spirit than LBS's: slightly more mature, more focused,...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Here is what I have when I try to aggregate the numbers. Feel free to update the list!

*R1
- March 8th - out of 7: 7 accepted, 3 confirmed
- March 23rd - out of 6: 5 accepted, 5 confirmed, 1 unknown
- March 27th - out 5: 2 accepted, 2 confirmed, 2 waitlisted, 1 unknown
- March 30th - out of 4: 2 accepted, 1 confirmed, 2 waitlisted
- April 3rd - out of 7: 2 accepted, ? confirmed, 5 waitlisted
Total - out of 29: 18 accepted, 13 confirmed (probably), 9 waitlisted, 2 unknown

*R2
- May 15th - out 8: 4 accepted, 1 waitlisted, 3 unknown
- May 24th - out of 9: 5 waitlisted, 2 denied, 2 unknown
- May 25th - out of ??: 1 accepted
- May 27th - out of 8: 3 accepted, 5 unknown
- June 1st - out of 8: 3 accepted, 3 waitlisted, 2 denied
Total (incomplete) - out of 30: 11 accepted, 9 waitlisted, 4 denied, 10 unknown
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 1

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone, got the call for r3 intrerview last week. i was offered august 17 or august 21 and chose august 21

good luck to all!!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, everyone! I also have my interview on 21 of August.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (A), IMD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 6

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
morya003 wrote:
Hi
Any information on how many have been selected already so far from 90 for the class of Jan 2013.
Thanks

Hi
I'm counting 30/31 people on the Yammer group of the 2013 IMD class, so I'd venture that's the figure.
Marc
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 1

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
From the IMD portal we are 39!

There are still plenty of spots to be filled in so keep faith ;)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 1

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone,

About 3 weeks I received a call from IMD for the interview on august. I chose the august 17th interview, so I hope to see those who will be making the trek to Lausanne for that interview. Hope to learn and share the interview experience with you all!

My profile is as follows: Korean-American/M/31 (32 in August), 7 yrs WE in business development for non profit org./lived and traveled extensively in S America, N America, and Asia. GMAT 640. Q 47 V 32 AWE 5/6.

For those of you have not visited the campus in Lausanne, I highly recommend it because it's a great first hand experience of visualizing yourself as IMD MBA student. Plus they got awesome lunch buffet (leave room for dessert as well :D )

Best wishes to those working on the essays! Took me at least couple of weeks to absorb/understand/complete the essays.

Cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry guys, IMD is pressuring us a lot ! It has been a bit crazy since we started. We have lectures or group study mostly doing 8am to midnight even on the weekend (i am at IMD now after having visited our start up this morning). And then we have individual assignments ;-)
So my profile is here :
32/ French / MS Aerospace Eng (Supaero)
Experience in US (2 years in space policy/French Embassy), Thailand and France (7 years in telecommunication with a company I co-funded).
GMAT 750

About the current market situation, it will for sure have an impact on all MBA's but normally it impacts first the consulting and financial sectors and at the end the industry sector (where most IMD MBA would go). Then in Switzerland, the crises has not been very bad so far (but if the exchange rate stays like this it could become).
IMD has a small class of 90 (compared to 1012 at INSEAD this year) so I do not think it is a problem to find a job. The problem is more to know the job you want !

Yes you need to send the real transcript to IMD (or certified copies). They will also do a background check on all your experiences.

hope this help and good luck to those who are writing their essays now. I know it 's tough !

Thibaut
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to everyone and perhaps see you at IMD!

The interview dates choice is March 9, 20 and 23.

Those who haven't yet received the call, please do not despair too early. The adcom is just going through the callbacks one by one, so it will take some time!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

actually, we had 1 indian already during our assessment day. To give you an idea on the rest, we were a Bulgarian girl based in Holland, a Spanish (work experience in France and Germany), an Italian, a Portuguese (working in Switzerland), an Indian (sailor in the past, working in India at present), a Korean Russian (based in the UK, work experience in the US and UK) a Lebanese Senegalese working in Congo (work experience in the UK, Senegal and Congo).

The assessment day was a full-blown assessment with a 1 hour interview, a case study discussion and individual impromptu presentation and lunch with alums. Current students could not join as they were busy completing an assignment, many working trough the night to present it to a jury panel.

IMD has promised to get back to us with the results on March 21st.

For those who haven't been to Lausanne, if you stay in a hotel you are given a free transport card for all public transport. The easiest way to get to IMD is to take the metro which terminates at Ouchy. From there, walk to your right and IMD's campus is within 5 minutes walk, not far from the Mauvenpick and Aulac hotels. The metro station is right across from the train station, look for a blue "M" sign.

Good luck to all applicants with the interview!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
suraabhi wrote:
Guys, I think I am the first one on this forum to report negative reply on the application to IMD.

Hi Suraabhi,

Something doesn't click in my head. How did you get a ding if your interview was scheduled for 23-March?!

Cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 16:03
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by lookingatx on 24 Aug 2012, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Confirm. Out of us 7, 6 accepted, 1 waitlisted. Sipping my glass of bubbly :)

Good luck all!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
vd9 wrote:
I've returned from the assessment day on April 3rd. There were 7 of us, all male. As for the nationalities - two from France, three from China, one from India and one from Ukraine. Engineering background was prevalent in our group (only one of us was with finance background), many of the fellows had significant int'l experience. Everything went quite good in my opinion, the day was an excellent and pleasant experience, Lisa told us that we should expect the reply not earlier than in two weeks due to the Easter holidays. Let me know if you have any particular questions - I'll be happy to answer them in case I can. :)

PS libraal, thank you for the kind words, and please be informed that IMD brand is not very well known within Ukraine (most of the high-level executives I know about here are associated with another school)

Best of luck vd9, I hope you get the phone call! The fact you're from the Ukraine works in your favour!

I had an interesting phone call today with an IMD alum working in my company. Here's the summary (comparing IMD vs. LBS):
1. The internships at LBS may give a real smell of the place, but on the other hand the quality depends on who is your coach/buddy in the company and what tasks you're entrusted. With IMD, an alternative to internship is the consulting project. Because companies pay tens of thousands CHF for the project, these projects normally get support from the senior management and they expect results. So, the consulting project is an intense 2(?) weeks with a (high profile) deliverable. On the other hand, LBS gives you the opportunity to experience the day-to-day work in a company/sector + you get paid for it. I suppose an equivalent of the IMD consulting project would be to get on to the LBS consulting team, however, competition may be quite tough.
2. With regards to the alumni network, IMD's smaller class might be compensated by IMD's bigger executive education programs. Here, IMD has better standing than LBS, although I can't judge how much better. It does rank quite highly in most rankings though. If we trust wikipedia, IMD puts through 8000 executives in one year, LBS puts through 3000. Students may get access to executives when their on-campus, e.g. during lunches. However, this needs to be carefully managed through Career Services as sometimes some students who don't know what they are after may abuse this option, thus, creating potential hassle for the executives and also depriving other students of opportunity. The reasoning in favour of IMD is that it is executives who may make the recruitment decisions, so if IMD is better known with them than LBS, obviously you may have better chances. Having said that, LBS has circa 10,000 living alums, whereas IMD has circa 3000. However, where LBS alums may be equally spread between financial services, consulting and industry, IMD is heavy on industry. Web2.0 (Facebook and Youtube) statistics show an interesting picture in favour of IMD vs. LBS.
3. With regards to the class bonding, at the end of the year in IMD you do get to know all 90 people in the class very well. This is because you change the study groups 4 times a year, each month you change the places in the lecture theatres + you get to know each other in interest clubs. As to the interest clubs, I get the impression that they are not necessarily as big in IMD compared to LBS due to the number of students + in LBS you get better access to guest speakers and companies due to the location.
4. As to the personal development, leadership and self-awareness, it's achieved through 8 psychoanalytical assignments in 1 year (these are reviewed and commented by a psychological coach), 12 regular feedback, 20 hours of Jungian psychoanalytical coach + each group is assigned with a coach who looks after the group dynamics. I believe in LBS, you also get regular feedbacks and are assessed for the group activities. However, psychoanalytical assignments and 20 hours of coach could be unique to IMD. In LBS, you don't get to choose your first year study group, but you do get to choose all others. I suppose in LBS you can also get subjected to various group work activities through club participation and leadership.
5. In terms of jobs seniority on exit, the alum's impression was that it was easier to land a more senior position at exit at IMD if you are older and have a profile to substantiate higher expectations. His impression was also that recruiters' expectations at IMD or perception of the students is a bit different from INSEAD or LBS. I don't know if I fully agree with it. There may be some truth in it, but I've also been told that whatever the school those with outlying profiles will have to do a bit more work to find a job of their dream. It may be easier at IMD since they are used to dealing with more mature students, however, my LBS interviewer also mentioned that LBS's Career Services have such experience through placing Executive MBAs.
6. In terms of cost, IMD MBA is obviously more expensive than it used to be. My comparison render the cost of the 11 month program similar to 15 month program in LBS. Lausanne rental prices are comparable with London and food prices may even be more expensive. However, IMD's MBA program is actually subsidized with revenues from exec. education, so if they were to recoup all of their costs or run it at a profit it would have cost even more.

Well, I wish I could summarise the above with my conclusion and choice in favour of one school vs. the other, but I'm afraid I'm still thinking. But then each and everyone's personal situation is different, so you may not have the same constraints as I.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
Well...the interview day was very much in line with what we have been reading so far through the forum, both 2012 and 2013.... there were 9 of us - 5 Indians (ya thats right), 1 Korean, 1 Pakistani, 1 Chinese and 1 Japanese.... the good part was that majority of us had met the night before for alumni drinks and hence it was quite a relaxed atmosphere.... everyone was confident and cooperative through the day (a big plus)...

1) Interview - Two interviewers, simultaneously interviewing candidates. mine was with Claire and it was a reasonably straight forward interview.... typically around the application and validating the thought proces behind the contents of the application.. no stress interviews...

2) Impromptu ppt - straight forward one page case study, 30 odd mins to prepare 2-3 slides on transparency sheets.... sheets are taken back after 30 mins... the ppt happens later in the day after the interviews... presentation time of flat 5mins... i think the idea is more about time management and structure of the presentation rather than the actual solution itself... this is followed by the first group activity - a new variable is put into the case study and the group has to work towards the solution.... as before, flat 5 mins to present and about 20mins to prepare.... group dynamics hold the key....

3) Case Study - simulation of an actual class... led by one of the evaluators... quite a few details discussed about the case.... class participation is important and unique perspectives into the case (based on the info in the case itself) is good... the discussion is followed by another Group task ( by now group tasks tend to be much easier and cohersive).... two teams work on the case and then get a chance to present it to the other group and have some cross questioning time...

Overall and exhausting but interesting day... it entirely depends on the fellow candidates and thankfully my group was full of extremely exciting individuals who kept each other busy through the day.... there are occasions of long breaks but then good company helps...

i guess all are now waiting with their fingers crossed for the results (within 2 weeks to be precise)....

All the Best guys !!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
after being waitlisted for over a month (interviewed on march 23) - finally got the call from Lisa yesterday!!!!!!

looking forward to meeting you all and good luck to all the applicants!
Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 21:07