Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [5] , given: 215

IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 17:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Last edited by souvik101990 on 25 Apr 2013, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.
charts and tables added
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 1

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
I was in the April 5th interview date and was admitted as well! I decided to start a blog about my experience during the application, assessment day and getting ready to go to Lausanne next year:

http://imdexperience.blogspot.com

Hope future applicants will find it useful!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
I am writing this post to share my experience of applying for IMD, getting waitlisted and then finally being rejected last year. The experience was worth it. However; looking back last year, I could have managed it better and avoided some mistakes. I hope my posting will help others to avoid same mistakes. IMD is still my dream school. Unfortunately, I could not make the cut for IMD.
1- Like me, a number of applicants only apply to IMD. It’s understandable. Most of such applicants tend to be in late 20’s and early 30’s and they have very limited school options left. Don’t do that. There are other EU schools which are “old age” friendly. If you have followed GMAT club closely, you’d notice a number of applicants looked for other options after being waitlisted from IMD. For most, it’s late for that year. Considering they are already on borderline when come to age, such scenario put them at great disadvantage. If they were young, they could have gotten admission in INSEAD or other US schools.
2- A number of slightly younger applicants apply to both IMD and INSEAD. I have not heard of any one who was accepted by IMD but rejected by INSEAD (other way round is possible). So plan carefully if you fall into that category.
3- Although IMD claims that it does not make a difference if you get an early interview call in a particular round, in experience it does. If you have read last years forum postings, you’ll notice the clear pattern. Earlier the better.
4- IMD seems to be obsessed with collection of nationalities in the class makeup and rightly so. However; this put applicants from certain nationalities at clear disadvantage. Most affected are Indians followed by Chinese and Russians. If you’re from Hong Kong, that’s great.
5- It seems IMD hardly rejects the applicants upfront and keeps them in waiting list till the last moment and finally rejecting them in November. This strategy works for IMD but gives false hope to number of applicants. Based on my information gathered, it’s rare for a waitlist applicant of one round to be admitted in subsequent rounds. I only know of two such cases where a waitlist of one round was accepted in subsequent round. In most cases, IMD fills in the student from that particular round. If someone declines the offer, the replacement is from that round only(I could be wrong)
6- Your nationality matters specially if you are from an over-representative nationality. In that case, if you have dual nationality or EU residence permit, it will be great. It’s also understandable. A lot of 3rd world countries admitted applicants seems to have either dual nationality or resident permits in a developed country. It looks good on IMD and lowers the risk for IMD as compared to admitting an applicant from 3rd world country who will need to go back after finishing. It will be near impossible to have CHF 125,000 if you hail from that part of the world. Even if you get loan, you cannot pay back that amount working in your “3rd world” country. It’s specially important considering visa restriction in Switzerland and EU. You cannot blame school for that. It needs to protect its reputation.
7- If you’re waitlisted, you can have a personalized feedback from IMD. In most cases, IMD will ask you to provide an additional essay. But it hardly makes an impact (based on personal experience and information gathered from others).
8- If you are a female working for NGO, IMD would love you. So go for it. Sorry guys.

In summary,
a- Have backup schools
b- If you’re an Indian, it sucks. Don’t have too much hope. It’s hopeless case if you have anything to do with IT
c- Being US citizen will give you extra push (see last years posting for reference)
d- Waitlist in IMD context is very different as compared to other schools
e- Age matters.
f- Your passport matters a lot. It helps in your post-MBA career (and paying back the loan if applicable).
g- Dual nationality is a boon. It helps IMD boast class diversity without the risk of admitting a person who cannot work in a developed country after MBA due to work visa restriction. It will tarnish the brand name of IMD.

I wish all the best to IMD 2014 applicants. You can go through previous years posts to find out what to expect during interview, and what to do and what not to do during assessment day. Most importantly don’t be an a$$h0l3 on that day.
From this year forum postings, I can see some re-applicants. To you guys, my hats off and Lisa will be nice this year :P
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 4

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
ts2014 wrote:
hi all,

i think some ppl would have attended the interview on march 15th. Can anyone who attended share their experiences please?

really help the rest.

thanks in advance! :)

I went to the March 15th interview. It was an intensive, but insightful, process, so make sure you get good nights sleep (unlike me) and keep an open mind.
If you have been invited to an interview you already know how extensive the process is including interviews, in-promtu presentations, case study work. The work is both individual and group basis - They look for diversity, for leaders, and for team players, so you have to be able to lead, but also to work well with the others.

Corny as it sounds, my best suggestion is to be yourself and let your character shine through. The interview team is very experienced so if you try to fake it and become somebody you think they want rather than who you really are, they will see right through you.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. IMD is very impressive, though perhaps what impressed me most was the caliber of the students and other candidates. All very experienced, bright, and easy to get along with.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys!

I got the call from Lisa today!!
So here you have another IMD 2014 class student :-)

Good luck for those applying or already waiting for feedback.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (A), IMD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 6

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
I'll be starting as IMD 2013 in a few days. Good luck to all applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 6

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
noinpac wrote:
I'll be starting as IMD 2013 in a few days. Good luck to all applicants.

Just wondering what made you choose IMD over LBS. Care sharing? Cheers!

Ducksworth, I posted my reasoning for choosing IMD over LBS on last year's thread. You can find it here: imd-2013-calling-all-applicants-124970-240.html#p1092793

Happy to exchange on it, especially now that I've spent 1 month inside.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 15:23
This post received
KUDOS
christianl wrote:
ts2014 wrote:
hi all,

i think some ppl would have attended the interview on march 15th. Can anyone who attended share their experiences please?

really help the rest.

thanks in advance! :)

I went to the March 15th interview. It was an intensive, but insightful, process, so make sure you get good nights sleep (unlike me) and keep an open mind.
If you have been invited to an interview you already know how extensive the process is including interviews, in-promtu presentations, case study work. The work is both individual and group basis - They look for diversity, for leaders, and for team players, so you have to be able to lead, but also to work well with the others.

Corny as it sounds, my best suggestion is to be yourself and let your character shine through. The interview team is very experienced so if you try to fake it and become somebody you think they want rather than who you really are, they will see right through you.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. IMD is very impressive, though perhaps what impressed me most was the caliber of the students and other candidates. All very experienced, bright, and easy to get along with.

Hey everyone. I also participated on the March 15 Assessment Day and can attest to everything christian noted. In terms of logistics, the day went very similarly to what was described on the forums:

- Everyone had personalized schedule. For me, the day started with the improptu presentation preparation, which lasted 35 minutes. You should not stress about the topic - it is meant to be tackled by people from business or non-business backgrounds. Everyone will have a different point of view, which is the beauty of going to b-school.

- Then I had an individual interview. The questions asked were fairly typical. If you know your essays well, and can elaborate why you want an MBA/why IMD/ why now, you will be fine.

- Next came the presentation part, and then a group exercise to reach a consensus given further varianbles. Let your team skills shine here. The presentations were pretty quick - try to be relaxed, hold eye-contact, and not rush too much throguh it (typicall presentation tips).

- Lunch was in the IMD cafeteria. Every candidate was matched with a current MBA participant.

- The afternoon case study was another team exercise. I had visited IMD and had a case study led by faculty previosuly, but this time the cadidates did most of the talking. You are observed by the admission committe throughout the afternoon. As you approach the end of the day, the focus graduated shifted from discussion on the case to Q&A on the IMD MBA program.

- We then had a class visit - it was great to observe the dynamics in the classroom, the student presentations and get a feel for the teaching style.

- At the end of the day, most candidates joined the MBA participants for an informal happy hours. We were lucky that there were no classes on the next morning, so quite a few showed up.

Biggest advice from me would be to relax and not get yourself too uptight. Even though the IMD assessment day is described as intimidating and intense, try to ignore the fact that you are being watched, and focus more on learning about the school and how your goals match up to the school's strenghts. The admissions game is a two-way process.

Lastly, it was really nice to catch up with noinpac in person at the happy hour. As many of you know, he is a great guy with some really insightful posts on the forum.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

Can someone advise on the placements for year 2012, specially for Indians.. Considering high cost of the program and bad shape of EU, I am bit concerned about this.

Thanks,
Neeraj
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 15

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
I got my invite to interview as well! I sent the application the day before the deadline, with supporting material reaching IMD a few days later. Due to work commitments I won't be able to attend the interview day until the end of May
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Just get called. Will be in Lausanne for interview on August 6th Tuesday. Anyone else join?
For others, I was told that there will be another one on August 9th Friday.

Best luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
jslash wrote:
I have been searching other forums too, it seems IMD applicants are a little quiet.. But in general MBA applications are down, I was probably reading in business insider. What's the group's take on doing MBA in 2014? Will the markets be better at the time of graduation?

IMD program is undergoing a major shakeup. :roll: Dean has been ousted
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
Saragandhi wrote:
Nothing much is happening here. Why is everyone so quiet on IMD discussion forum, whereas posts are flooded on Insead forum?

Hi Saragandhi,

I figure out the size of the class/applicants pool has some influence in the volume of posts written.

On the other hand, not many admitted students came to the forum in R1 or R2, so I suppose there are many people reading but not participating. For example, three guys from my assessment day were waitlisted or dinged and have not participated in the forum at all.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:43
will be applying in R1
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 16:37
Ducksworth, thanks for starting the thead. I am planning to apply in R2
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 10:54
Thannks! I plan to apply in R1.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 17:14
I am applying in round 1 as well!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 22:11
Hi folks,

In case you're interested in getting a view "from the inside" of IMD's MBA program, be sure to have a look at the participants' blog: http://blogs.imd.org/mba/default.aspx

see you soon on campus!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 17:16
thanks, planning to apply in R1
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:55
Expert's post
Wahoo! And we all thought the season was over... but there's always IMD to cheer you up in dark, cold January...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: IMD 2014 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 03:55