Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CIPS
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: IMD Calling all applicants Class of 2015-16 [#permalink]
I applied in R4, am still waiting for the results. For those who have heard back from IMD, are you getting a call or a mail response?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
notamaybe wrote:
mbaoneyear wrote:
IMD just released the career report, I do not feel comfortable with it. There is no statistics for the class of 2013!! they take the THREE Year average, very strange indeed. It may indicates not a good results for the class of 2013 so that they try to cover it up by such average approach! Can you guys comment on this.

I dont think a famous institution as IMD needs to cover up.
Also remember IMD is a Non profit insti. (with free food throughout the year) , accepts only 90 ( could increase no. of students and increase revenue but doesnt)

so I dont think they look into playing with the stats and i dont think they care too much as it varies according to the economy every year!

I think they changed approach towards investing effort in publishing these stats and focus on rankings!

The story is bigger now, I believe there is real issue with career service at IMD. read the following article on P&Q:
https://poetsandquants.com/2014/09/04/wh ... eer-stats/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Rizz wrote:
That's true. But again depends on your nationality. If you are an Indian, I would say the chance to get in is less than 10%.

ninjamba wrote:
lm11 wrote:
Yes I applied on Aug 1.
What are the chances or %age of intake if any at all.

If there were no chances, I don't think they will keep rounds 4 and 5 :)

Not really sure how did you arrive at that percentage, but it's true that Indians find all the rounds are more competitive compared to applicants of other nationalities. This competition gets even more stiff as the application stages progress. In case it helps, I got to know that an Indian R4 applicant for 2015 intake did get a call for interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mbaoneyear wrote:
notamaybe wrote:
mbaoneyear wrote:
IMD just released the career report, I do not feel comfortable with it. There is no statistics for the class of 2013!! they take the THREE Year average, very strange indeed. It may indicates not a good results for the class of 2013 so that they try to cover it up by such average approach! Can you guys comment on this.

Also remember IMD is a Non profit insti. (with free food throughout the year) , accepts only 90 ( could increase no. of students and increase revenue but doesnt)

so I dont think they look into playing with the stats and i dont think they care too much as it varies according to the economy every year!

I think they changed approach towards investing effort in publishing these stats and focus on rankings!

The story is bigger now, I believe there is real issue with career service at IMD. read the following article on P&Q:

Come on mate, let's be a bit honest about few facts. Financial markets are recovering back, that means more and better jobs for MBAs with finance specialization. But it doesn't necessarily need to mean bad new for industry oriented MBAs. Did you know that during the down of 2008, which sector survived with least amount of attrition? Easy to guess in my opinion, industry! Hence, if you average out over a period then both the sector turn out to be equally good. [I don't much know about consulting stats so not gonna discuss them.] And yes, sudden change from 1-year reporting to 3-year reporting does create ripples, specially when you do to cover your shortcomings. [Here, the exchange rate effect]
While the average salaries in EUR didn't show much of a fluctuation, the same in USD did show high downfall. This might be relevant to those who want to explore options beyond Europe. However, the correction in exchange will sooner or later bring back you at par with your non-EU mates, which should be a relief if you wanna stick around in EU for a few years (or longer).
But, in no means do I wanna try to convince you that EU has better job market than US, nor do I know imply that an EU school (as reputed as IMD) would get you to places that a US (of similar repute) would not.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: ​Back from New York
The Discovery Trip is also over. It disappeared extremely quickly. Of course we had a very crowded program and a lot of fun, but I was surprised, when we went by the bus towards JFK airport, that how quickly these eight days were gone.

Thirty of us travelled to New York, and although for most of us it was not our first choice, we had a very interesting trip. We had three lines of programs. The official one with many presentations by representatives of different industries. First of all from the advisory firm, Oliver Wyman, also hosting many of the other programs as well including our final presentation. I would like to say a special thanks for this in the name of the whole group to Alan McIntyre, an IMD MBA alumnus and the Managing Partner responsible for North America. We had not received only the perspectives of the advisors, but also viewpoints from the representatives of different industries, the Deputy Secretary General of the UN or the Chief Economist of the World Bank. We had also a very special presentation of a serial entrepreneur, giving some insights to the American start-up culture and a very interesting discussion at the Georgetown University about the development of the US-Russia relationship.

We had a second line of programs organised by our classmate, Diego (big thanks for this from all of us), focusing mainly on the financial services industry. We visited banks (Goldman Sachs and HSBC), Fitch Ratings and investment funds (Compass and BNP Paribas). These visits gave us a fantastic opportunity to gain some insights about the life of the biggest financial center of the world.

On Thursday we have summarized our preliminary research and the experiences collected in a presentation for the alumni community of New York. We tried to generate some debate with raising counterintuitive statements and questions regarding the competitiveness of the US and New York. It seemed, that we have reached our goal, as we had a good discussion during the Q&A session.

And of course we will never forget the third program street, the programs organized during our very limited free-time. It was very widespread from the Sunday brunch or a traditional steak house visit via a Comedy and a Karaoke night till a great closing party on a Party bus. Thanks to Yaelle and Diego, everybody could find his or her favorite program and enjoy the time with the classmates.

I’m sure we will remember for this trip on our reunion meetings...

András
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CIPS
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
It is not an official figure. Getting the call for interview and getting selected are totally different things. Almost half of the applicants who have been invited for AD in R3 were Indians, but none of them got selected so far.

neo656 wrote:
Rizz wrote:
That's true. But again depends on your nationality. If you are an Indian, I would say the chance to get in is less than 10%.

Not really sure how did you arrive at that percentage, but it's true that Indians find all the rounds are more competitive compared to applicants of other nationalities. This competition gets even more stiff as the application stages progress. In case it helps, I got to know that an Indian R4 applicant for 2015 intake did get a call for interview.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: photoblog - discovery expedition - Brazil , Rio

This year the classical discovery expedition that IMD organizes each year at the beginning of module III has been divided in three locations: Brazil, Singapore and New York. 3 groups of 30 exceptional people, travelling for one week in each location, have been created and I’m very happy to be part of the Brazilian one. The program is very rich and interesting: company’s presentations, events, alumni, meeting with CEOs and executive.

About Brazil, the main objectives of the discovery trip were:

·        Help us better understand the political economy of an emerging market like Brazil;
·         To be introduced to relevant business models and internationalization strategies followed by Brazilian companies;
·         Get a better understanding of Brazil’s job market, while building a network of relevant contacts.

Here some activities and pictures of the first part of the expedition, in Rio de Janeiro:

-          Free day to visit Rio, its beautiful beaches and viewpoints. We had also an incredible helicopter tour on the city! one of the most intense experience in all the year...

-          Company presentation at Vale and Petrobràs

-          Visit at the Olympic committee: preparation for Brazil 2016

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: photoblog - discovery expedition - Brazil , San Paulo
Here some picture of the second part of the Brazilian discovery expedition, in San Paulo:

-          Visit at CEAL: German Brazilian Chamber of Commerce.

-          Brasilagro: we met the CEO Mr Fabio Colletti Barbosa

-          Visit the manufacturing plant of Espano Natura, leader cosmetic Brazilian company.

-          Dinner with Mr Rubes Ricupero(FAAP, former minister of economy and secretary general of UNCTAD)

-          Visit at UNICA, meeting with the CEO Mrs Elizabeth Farina

-          Visit a Brazilian renewable energy developer, Casa dos Ventos

-          Visit at Embraer, one of the leaders of airplane industry worldwide

-          Visit at Viva Santé, a private Franche health group

-          Presentation of IMD MBA student at IMD alumni event

-          Visit at Lojas Americanas,  a Brazilian retail chain founded in 1929.

Intern
Intern
Send PM

https://poetsandquants.com/2014/09/04/wh ... eer-stats/[/quote]

Come on mate, let's be a bit honest about few facts. Financial markets are recovering back, that means more and better jobs for MBAs with finance specialization. But it doesn't necessarily need to mean bad new for industry oriented MBAs. Did you know that during the down of 2008, which sector survived with least amount of attrition? Easy to guess in my opinion, industry! Hence, if you average out over a period then both the sector turn out to be equally good. [I don't much know about consulting stats so not gonna discuss them.] And yes, sudden change from 1-year reporting to 3-year reporting does create ripples, specially when you do to cover your shortcomings. [Here, the exchange rate effect]
While the average salaries in EUR didn't show much of a fluctuation, the same in USD did show high downfall. This might be relevant to those who want to explore options beyond Europe. However, the correction in exchange will sooner or later bring back you at par with your non-EU mates, which should be a relief if you wanna stick around in EU for a few years (or longer).
But, in no means do I wanna try to convince you that EU has better job market than US, nor do I know imply that an EU school (as reputed as IMD) would get you to places that a US (of similar repute) would not.[/quote][/quote]

my friend, it is a very serious issue to the extent that even IMD has responded today with little explanation. very sad indeed:
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Leadership Experiential and On Campus Recruiting
​You have probably noticed the relative silence on the part of the bloggers- this is because on campus recruiting has been taking place this week. We have been in and out of interviews all week, with the ups and downs of offers, and, at times, rejections. This is the first of 2 weeks of on campus recruiting where we have companies coming on campus and conduting interviews and giving offers. The mood can get quite intense as we all try to remind eachother that we will all end up where we should.

Over the weekend we had another leadership experiential on group dynamics, and for me it was the most eye opening of the year thus far. It was fascinating to watch how quickly group behavior turns into certain patterns and the roles we all fall into. I can't give away more than that, but the predictability of group dynamics and tools to manage these issues will forever be engrained in my psyche. Who knew transfer pricing would be so controversial!

Ashley
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Reminiscing about Singapore
​It’s been almost two weeks since we’ve been back from the
Discovery Trip, but Singapore is still on my mind. Andras and Carmine have
documented the New York and Brazil trips well, so I thought I would share my
take on the trip to the city-state. The week we spent there really flew by –
and I think many will share my feeling, the trip to Singapore will definitely be
one of the highlights of the IMD experience.

After the long flight there, we were given a free day to
catch up on some sleep, get adjusted to the time difference and see some of the
sights. The organized activities started out with a fantastic buffet dinner
where we had the chance to sample many local dishes, including the infamous
Durian ice cream. Love it or hate it!

We then had a variety of top-notch speakers throughout the
week, who gave us a real flavor of what working and doing business in South
East Asia is really like. From a visit to the Economic Development Board, to an
overview of the Financial Services and Private Equity environment, to discussing
Singapore’s healthcare issues, to learning about Consumer Product strategy
varies so much from country to country in the region – it was true learning by
immersion. It is one thing to hear about Asia in the classroom thousands of
miles away; it’s another experience altogether to be right there, engaging
directly with local business leaders (many of whom were plucked directly from the
IMD network).

I also enjoyed that we had a pretty good amount of time to
explore the city. I was lucky my wife and son were with me as well, so we took
those opportunities to do some sightseeing, and of course Felix didn't miss his chance to represent IMD.

We like Singapore!

I hear there were many visits to Singapore’s multiple
rooftop bars, and many Singapore Slings were had. I also hear there were some
memorable late-night party bus experiences.

I would be remiss not to mention the two Nice and Easy days
we spent in Kuala Lumpur at the end of the trip. Again, we had phenomenal
speakers who shared their perspectives on the business environment in Malaysia.
In the evening we went on a great food tour where we sampled some very
authentic local food, and before wrapping up the trip, we had a few free hours
to wander around the city.

In the end, I really didn’t want to come back! I kept hoping
we would have a day or two more, and now I am itching to make my way back that side
of the world.

Marcelo

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Wine weekend
​As you could see from the previous posts, we were very busy during the last two weeks with Navigating the Future conference, Leadership experiential weekend and the first week of the on-campus recruitment. However, I am not writing about these. I am writing about how we could relax and spend our weekend in the amazing wine regions around Lausanne.

On Saturday, we decided with Simon, Olivia and my wife, Gabi to visit a very special running event, the Semi-Marathon des Cotes de l’Orbe. We chose the distance of the 11.6 km. Even on this shorter version, my time was 1:28 hours. The reason was not the hilly area with several uphill parts along the track, but rather the several degustation points (instead of refreshment points) along the path.  What did this mean? At these points local wines and foods were served. Therefore, these stops took more time than usually a refreshment point takes, and, of course also had some „special impact” on the difficulty level of the second part of the race.

Luckily, all of us could reach the finish line, where we received our price: a bottle of local wine. This was a very nice event with beautiful landscape, amazing small villages and a nice bunch of smiling, cheering and cheerful (singing) local people.

After a perfect Saturday, we thought to use the amazing, sunny autumn weather on Sunday as well, and take a walk to the neighboring Lavaux wine region to visit the open cellar event of the artisan wine-maker, Jean-Christophe Piccard. Our small group of seven people took the uphill walk from Lutry to the breathtaking terrace of the Domaine Piccard, where Jean-Christophe and his family offered us the opportunity to taste different wines from his small winery accompanied with a very good paella (confirmed by the expert opinion of our Spanish friends, Cecilia and Manuel). The time flew away quickly by enjoying the fantastic afternoon, and all of us agreed that sometimes these afternoons can help at least as much in stress management as a PDE analyst.:-)

Andras
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo Blog - New York Discovery, 1st GMW and some fun during recruting!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Transcendentalist wrote:
DDD2015 wrote:
Transcendentalist wrote:
Invited for assessment. Applied Aug Deadline

Hey, your assessment is on 26th September too?

12th
. Can you share your experience of attending the AD.

Does anyone know the number of confirmed admitted students ? Last year around this time almost half the class was up for grabs, a similar stat would definitely be encouraging :)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: photoblog - Navigating the Future - pictures and YOUTUBE
​Here the link on youtube where you can enjoy MBA2014 performances during the "navigating the future" confenrence in September:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKwOtV17OiMaeynHxxQ83iSvv9gQ-i39l

Moreover, here few pictures of our workshops following the presentations. We analyzed each topic presented together with the audience:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mbaoneyear wrote:
my friend, it is a very serious issue to the extent that even IMD has responded today with little explanation. very sad indeed:

Reproducing here the comment from IMD, for convenience of all.

Quote:
Dear all,

We would like to respond to your concerns regarding the publication of our recent career statistics. The data has been presented as a three-year average to provide you with a track record rather than a snapshot of a one-year performance.

The 2013 data – average salary: $121,500 (€92,700), median salary: $118,000 (€89,000), sign on bonus: $26,500 (€20,000) – shows a reduction for average salary by $10,066 (€9,404), for median salary by $1,049 (€3,438) and for average sign on bonus by $6,394 (€5,564). A detailed analysis would have to focus on industry composition, geography and exchange rate factors; accounting for the latter alone, for instance, reduces the cut in median salary from 2012 to 2013 from €3,438 to €815.

While a detailed assessment of this sort is beyond what an overview should provide, we decided to present the data in a more comprehensive and indexed form in next year’s publication. At the same time, we would like to advise that given the average age of our participants, the primary objectives at this stage of their careers and the relative small size of our program it is fair to expect higher fluctuations in the average salary relative to other schools.

Also, according to Forbes’ biannual ranking of years to payback on MBA investment, IMD’s MBA program ranked first in 2011 and 2013.

Please tune into our webcast on Wednesday, October 8, where we will present a progress report on our 2014 MBA program and some of the exciting changes we will introduce for 2015.

Best regards,

IMD MBA Program Office

mbaoneyear - point taken. (y)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
mbaoneyear wrote:

Reproducing here the comment from IMD, for convenience of all.

Quote:
Dear all,

We would like to respond to your concerns regarding the publication of our recent career statistics. The data has been presented as a three-year average to provide you with a track record rather than a snapshot of a one-year performance.

The 2013 data – average salary: $121,500 (€92,700), median salary: $118,000 (€89,000), sign on bonus: $26,500 (€20,000) – shows a reduction for average salary by $10,066 (€9,404), for median salary by $1,049 (€3,438) and for average sign on bonus by $6,394 (€5,564). A detailed analysis would have to focus on industry composition, geography and exchange rate factors; accounting for the latter alone, for instance, reduces the cut in median salary from 2012 to 2013 from €3,438 to €815.

While a detailed assessment of this sort is beyond what an overview should provide, we decided to present the data in a more comprehensive and indexed form in next year’s publication. At the same time, we would like to advise that given the average age of our participants, the primary objectives at this stage of their careers and the relative small size of our program it is fair to expect higher fluctuations in the average salary relative to other schools.

Also, according to Forbes’ biannual ranking of years to payback on MBA investment, IMD’s MBA program ranked first in 2011 and 2013.

Please tune into our webcast on Wednesday, October 8, where we will present a progress report on our 2014 MBA program and some of the exciting changes we will introduce for 2015.

Best regards,

IMD MBA Program Office

mbaoneyear - point taken. (y)

It is fair to report the two side of the story: here is what an Insider from the school said: "Their Career Services Office has fallen apart over the last years with 3 out of 4 key people leaving IMD. They were mostly replaced by admin people with no career experience. Currently there is not even a Career Services Director - well technically there is but she is only in charge of coaching. Numbers have dropped significantly on all fronts, salary, % placed at graduation and at 3 months, number of companies on campus etc. MBAs have complained for 4 years straight but cost cutting seems more important to management. I don't think the current team understands standardized reporting so I would be careful trusting their data whether its 1 or 3 years. My advice: talk to recent alumni before you make a decision. and maybe look at the linked-in profiles of the career services group"

the issue is also being raised in another article: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/09/13/im ... ment-34409
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts