Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
IMD Thread Master
Schools: IMD, INSEAD
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMD
Add Your Name to the List

IMD Business School Guide

Rankings (GMAT Club International Ranking and Clusters)

Historical GMAT Club Applicant Threads

Popular Links

IMD MBA Program Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add IMD to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List

2012 Class (Starting in January) Application Instructions

Five Application Deadlines for 2012 Class
  • February 1, 2011

• April 1, 2011

• June 1, 2011

• August 1, 2011

• September 1, 2011

*IMD releases invitations for the on-campus assessment day within 6 weeks after each deadline.

Application Essays and Questions
Position sought after graduation
  • Please give us your short term career goal post MBA (up to 5 years). Describe how the IMD MBA will help you achieve this goal and how you will approach your job search. (maximum 2000 characters)

Most important achievement
  • What do you consider to be your single most significant achievement and why? (maximum 1230 characters)

Essays
Essay 1: Two situations of importance to you
  • Situation 1 (maximum 1230 characters)

• Situation 2 (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 2: Failure to reach an objective
  • Please comment on a situation where you failed to reach an objective and what you learned from it. (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 3: Leadership
  • Describe a situation where you had to demonstrate strong leadership skills. Explain how effective you were and what you learned. (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 4: Describe yourself
  • How do you imagine your superior would describe your strengths and weaknesses to someone who does not know you? (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 5: International Exposure
  • Describe a situation where you successfully worked across cultures and/or nations. (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 6: Differentiations
  • IMD receives numerous applications per year. Give us four bullet points that clearly differentiate you from this applicant pool. (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 7: Alternatives
  • If you are not admitted, what alternatives will you consider? (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 8: Finance
  • Please explain how you intend to finance your studies at IMD. What would be your budget? (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 9: Disability/illness
  • Do you have a disability or illness that could affect your performance at IMD? If so, please explain. (maximum 1230 characters)

Essay 10: Additional Information
  • Optional question: Is there any additional information that is critical for the Admissions Committee to know which has not been covered elsewhere in this application? (maximum 1230 characters)

Last edited by dzyubam on 05 Sep 2011, 07:57, edited 9 times in total.
events
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [6] , given: 0

Re: IMD MBA Program Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I'm a round 2 admit, and thought it might be worth me posting the interview day experience for the benefit of those interviewing in round 3 - it seems that the interviews aren't until August, so this isn't too late, hopefully.

I interviewed in Lausanne on 31st May in a group of 7 (which also included birdy76). The group was rather diverse with ages from 27 to 34, nationalities as varied as Indian (myself), Finnish, American, Australian, Chilean, Polish and Canadian.

It was a rainy day and I barely made it in time to IMD and the AdCom reached the reception about 2 seconds after me! As the day started, the AdCom took us to the cafeteria near the reception and gave us our individual schedules (which were also emailed out in advance). Then we were taken to the modern Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Center via a sneak peak of the MBA auditoriums.

2 of the 7 then went for their 1-2-1 interviews and the other 5, including me, were given 35 minutes to work on the impromptu presentation. (Note: It is 35 minutes, not 30, because the "instructions are a bit longer this year.") My advice on this would be to not make it too complex - just ensure that you read the info well, and answer every question that they ask. Pretty much everyone followed a different presentation structure, but personally, I used the questions at the end of the info to aid the structure of my presentation. The key skills that they assess (this is my personal opinion) are logic and flow, thought process, structuring, confidence, presentation skills, how well you can present key points simply and succinctly. After 30 mins, the AdCom came around to tell us that we had 5 minutes left to go. Another point of note is that you work using transparencies, coloured pens and overhead projectors, not PowerPoint.

After this, 2 out of us 5 went for their 1-2-1s and 3 of us had a break, while the other 2 (who had completed their 1-2-1s) worked on their impromptu presentations. Then, after about 45 minutes, another candidate and I went for our 1-2-1s (1 of us 7 had to wait right until the end of the day for his 1-2-1). My 1-2-1 lasted about 45 minutes, it was very conversational and rather pleasant. There were no "Surprise me!" or "A man goes to the shoe shop every Saturday morning..." questions. There were again a lot of questions trying to assess you as a person - for example, I work for the Royal Mail, the UK's national postal operator, which has been in the press a lot in terms of being privatised and I had an opinion on the direction/mode of this privatisation and she asked me what the basis of my opinion was and how I would explain that to Joe Bloggs. She also scratched a bit more below the surface of my application essays - I had used the same example for my failure and my most important achievement (the failure was encountered on the way to the achievement) and she asked me why. She was satisfied with the response, but asked me to provide an example of another failure - I think this was probably the most unexpected part of the interview, but I improvised and rescued the situation. Overall, I got very good vibes from the interview, and we ran out of time before she could finish her questions, so I did not get an opportunity to ask her any questions. And yes, be prepared for a question on what you don't like about IMD.

After this, we reconvened into a room, and had to make our presentations one after the other. They did not set an order and asked us to decide amongst ourselves - I volunteered to go first, but soon after almost everyone offered to go first. As it happened, I went last. The thing to remember, 5 minutes means 5 minutes - they let you know when 4 have gone, but will stop you dead on 5. I finished my presentation in 3-and-a-quarter minutes - so, if you think you have made all your points, there is no reason to stretch to the whole 5 - you risk losing key points in the detail. (I always think back to the Bill Clinton "Its the economy, stupid." campaign - if you say three things, you're not saying anything at all.) Make sure you have a clear recommendation.

So, when we had finished our presentations, they introduced additional information and this time, asked us to collectively work on a 5 min prez. From memory, they gave us 30 mins to do this. They stayed for a few mins to observe the group dynamics. In addition to the issue at hand, we grappled with a couple of other things - how to make the presentation, how many people, etc. - we decided one person worked best as it provided good flow and luckily we had 1 out of 7, who had clearly the best presentation skills as seen through the impromptu prez. In the end, I think the "flow" wasn't as well as we would have liked, because the points on the slide were from 7 people and the 1 person making the presentation wasn't exactly fully conversant with every single point, given the short time to come up with the presentation.

After the presentation, the two AdCom members asked us how we came up with the recommendation and why we did not consider alternative options - initially, the questions were directed at individuals, but some were thrown open to the group. I felt it was quite important to give credit - for example, if you were asked a question the answer to which lay in a point made by a fellow candidate during the discussion, you should give credit when responding.

Then we had lunch with our individual hosts - they normally try and pair you with someone from the same nationality/background, but it was difficult due to the interview falling during the ICP week. My host was a French guy who had been working in India for several years. Contrary to what you might have heard, the lunch is not assessed.

After lunch, before the group exercise, we had Martha (the MBA Programme Director) come into the room to answer questions. Martha, the AdCom, and Professor Benoit Leleux (who conducted the case study exercise) were very candid in answering our questions.

Then, for the last part, the case study, we were split into two groups, one of 3 people, and the other of 4. We were sent away for a bit (I think half an hour, but can't remember too well) to come back with answers to four specific questions. If you do your normal case study analysis (PEST, SWOT, Advantanges/Disadvantages, NPV analysis, etc.), you should have all the ammunition ready to answer these questions, but I must stress, that getting the answer is not what is being assessed. We had different AdCom members come in and go out of our rooms to observe the discussions. After a while, we reconvened in the room and there were a few more questions and answers and more exploring below the surface to see if we could deduce the less obvious points of the case study.

It wouldn't be wrong to say we were all completely drained by the end of the day, which, however, was very worthwhile. I know 5 out of us 7 received offers, with no information about 1. Basically, there is no set quota and if all candidates are good, all will receive an offer. Remember, you are not competing against each other and everyone is assessed on an individual basis.

I've tried to provide as detailed an account as possible, but if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

And GOOD LUCK!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Nov. 2011

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
mertvye wrote:
Blueman wrote:
Hi,

Congrats.

No news from my side. I've started to anticipate a ding :(

Received an interview invite this morning. Not decided yet which day to attend.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 75212

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
anapplicant wrote:
Many congratulations Andreas. It must be great hearing from IMD. I will ask the same question as Ivan. Why IMD over Insead?

Can you please also share your interview experience? I have heard that it is hectic. Did you interview on campus? Also I would love to hear about your notes on how one should go about preparing for it?

Here are my tips:

1 - Interview : it will be long and with several questions ... be ready for the instant classics (why an MBA , why IMD, why now ..etc) but also for something more specific (How would your boss or your peers describe you? What are the traits of a leader? ...). Try not to answer by the book (e.g. summarizing an article from HBR) but rather personalize the answer based on something really happened to you (e.g. I think a leaders needs to be compassionate, because when I worked as ... bla bla)

2 - Case Study : read and re-read it ... do not kill yourself with the financial simulation (it is not expected) ... just make sure you have a strong understanding of what is going on (if needed do a summary or put all the key figures on an excel file) ... I found helpful to have a quick summary to refer to as we were discussing vs. flipping all the 12 pages to find the specific info. Here I think the key is to show participation ... be engaged but do not dominate the discussion (unless this is the real you!) ... no role play just be natural

3 - Impromptu presentation: since I do not have a biz background I found helpful reading the book "Case in point" ... I think it provides several frameworks that will make you more confident and faster ... here speed is key , you have only 30 mins. If you have the book , read the case on pag. 121 ... I got something similar!

Re. Insead vs. IMD I think they are both great schools ... you cannot go wrong either way ... however I see INSEAD as more focused on consultancy whereas IMD has stronger connections with the industry ... then INSEAD has 400+ students a year ... do you think that <<leaders can be mass-produced>> ? …( quote from IMD’s brochure) … :)

good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Andreas made a good summary, so not much to add...
Just be yourself at the interview, relax and do not panic. Interviewers are very friendly and not going to pass you through stress interview.

The thing which worked for me is summarizing key points on each 'classic' interview question on one paper sheet (e.g. stranghts, weaknesses, leadership example, why mba, why imd, leadership, failure, conflict, teamwork...) - it will help a lot when answering the questions. You may be nervous and simply forget something. For example, this summary helped me to answer questions about teamwork and conflict at work.

When preparing for a case study, simply try to understand what may be the key question/issue (e.g. how to enter the market, what marketing strategy would you recommend, what are the next steps for the company etc.) It is not about testing your business skills but checking how you think and make conclusions. Basically, there is no need to prepare any sofisticated reports at all - it does not work. Just make some notes summarizing product features, customer, market and your recommendations. Other things will cristallized during a case discussion in a class.

During the interview try to be initiative but not self-oriented. Speak and let others speak. Try to facilitate others, lesten to them carefully, fix their ideas, explain yours. It is about working in a team.

And good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
25340 wrote:
and yes, I am still going to repass GMAT next week ))

Skitalac, очень бы пригодилось, напишу на фэйсе пару вопросов

Esli xochesh, u menia tozhe svoi sovety, osobenno to chego ne delat tam chtobi ne okazatsia kak ia.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD MBA Program Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 23:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi People,

All the best to everyone participating in the Singapore Interviews.

I have been admitted to the class. Hope to see you guys there.

My 2 cents about the whole day :

1. Be yourself and know your application inside out.
2. Answer with suitable examples
for eg : What according to you is leadership? Answer it in generic way but also add (in my case I have experienced bla bla )
3. Prepare for case study discussion and be a team player and do not look to dominate
4. After the impromptu presentation , they will again look at team work by additional data about the case and will look at team's ability to come up
with a common recommendation as a TEAM.
5. Ask proper questions and look insights from the Alumni at lunch.
6. Thank the admissions committee in the end and send an email.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD MBA Program Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
scbguy wrote:
Can you be more detailed about the presentation and the topic and what is expected in general when doing the presentation. How many people is the presentation addressed to ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi scbguy,

All the other candidates in your group and the two AdCom members are present when making the presentation. In my case, this made up a group of 8.

In terms of the topic, I'm a bit hesitant to reveal it, even though I'm sure that they have a few different ones and what you get would very much be determined by the luck of the draw. Suffice to say it would be a relatively simple business situation, for example, a company has a few products - which one should it concentrate on, a company can buy one out of two targets - which one should it go for, a company needs to rationalise and cut costs - which is the best option out of those highlighted.

In terms of what is expected, I can only reiterate what I said before:
- Logic and flow: for example, the task is to increase profitability, you start by decomposing profit into revenue and costs, then you identify cost is the problem area, then you decompose cost and work out where you have slack and then make your recommendation to the company on what to cut and how
- Structuring: many possibilities, but I used the questions that they'd asked and had 1 slide on Intro, 3 each for the 3 questions and 1 for Conclusion and Recommendation
- Confidence and Presentation Skills: what it says on the tin really - whether you can stand and deliver impromptu in a situation you know you are being assessed in
- Brevity: whether you can use the time in the most efficient manner to make all relevant points

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Good luck,
Aman
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD MBA Program Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
HI IMDier,

First of all good luck, hope you a good session. In relation to my day we were 5, in true IMD style with 5 people from 5 counties, 5 industries, 5 backgrounds and more importantly 5 good calibre individuals.

In relation to your specific question about case discussion, Prof led the discussion no other staff engaged in it. They were just monitoring us. Prof was excellent, a very good listener with sharp questioning skills, exactly what one would expect from an IMD prof. In relation to preparation for case study, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. I think I over prepared for it, and at times I was jumping from making one point or other. Some would say that’s not a good thing to do in group discussion as one need to build on others point. Not best of my strengths. Other way to look at it is that life gives you all situation at times one knows a lot about the subject other times has no clues, but in both situations one need to be effective. Therefore my advise would be to prepare so much that it gives you confidence to attend the day. (Health warning: beware I have just been for the interview and not yet selected, therefore my advise may not be the best to have)

impromptu presentation: yes you present before all applicants one after another.

In relation to stats, no I didn’t ask any question to related to this nor they mentioned any thing about it.

Official time line is 2 weeks after the interview, but we were told it may be bit earlier than that.

Hope this helps. A number of people in this forum have given a good description of the interview day therefore I will not repeat the content. But my advise would be simple, if possible be yourself they are very helpful bunch and try their best to make the as good as it could be. Also they are not looking for best candidate; they are looking for best fit of candidates. The way I look at it is all 5 of us were good. I would find very difficult to select few between us. But they do this year in year out, therefore I leave this in there capable hands and trust their judgement. If IMD MBA is not for me then I better know it now, then after spending £100k and a year of my life.

Good luck and hope you have a good day.

Cheers,
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD MBA Program Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
mahipalg wrote:
Hi guys after a thrilling week. Seeing my application being put on hold. At last I have been accepted for IMD class of 2012. I am over the moon now just have to worry about the finances. Well first thing first let's celebrate. Cheers

Posted from my mobile device Image

Congratulations, mahipalg, and welcome to the team :) Do not forget to join the Facebook group to get acquainted with other folks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hi miguleb, my understanding is that around 40% get call and rest email. Good luck with your interview i hope u have a great day. Cheers

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to share with you all my experience, for the benefit of future generations of applicants :)

• Applied: Apr-1-2011
  • Email on interview decision: May-10 (there was a phone call a few days before that)
  • interviewed: May-24
  • decision to put me into WL: Jun-8
  • Asked by adcom for the confirmation to keep me in the WL: Sep-8
    (I also attached some information of my career progression)
  • Finally rejected: Nov-8

Pretty sure I was rejected because there were too many applicants of my nationality (Russia). At least three Russians were waitlisted of those who interviewed with me and in the next round. Having said that, I still had a really good experience in terms of communication, interview day, etc.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 01:32
iceman1 wrote:
For all applicants to IMD 2012 intake.

Submitted for the Feb 1st deadline. Lets share our updates.

Another R1 applicant here.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 17:02
Do u guys mind sharing yr profile ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 23:50
mn2010 wrote:

I'm spanish, 31 y.o., MSc and PhD in Computer Engineering, 5.5 we, intl experience living in Russia, speak Spanish, English and Russian fluently and basic of czech, serbian and bulgarian. GMAT 710 (Q47/V41), TOEFL 108.

if that doesn't suffice just ask me about concrete details.

What about you? are you applying or thinking of applying?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 04:30
mertvye wrote:
mn2010 wrote:

I'm spanish, 31 y.o., MSc and PhD in Computer Engineering, 5.5 we, intl experience living in Russia, speak Spanish, English and Russian fluently and basic of czech, serbian and bulgarian. GMAT 710 (Q47/V41), TOEFL 108.

if that doesn't suffice just ask me about concrete details.

What about you? are you applying or thinking of applying?

Thanks Mertvye ...... I am thinking of applying but need to retake GMAT before that ... prev score was in mid 600 :( .....
I am originally from India, living in US for 8 yrs now .... have MS in Electrical Engg, 5.5 exp in Avionics domain, good GPA, decent to good EC .....
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, ESADE, Kellogg, Cornell, IMD

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 01:11
Hi all, started work on my IMD application for R2. The first essay question has me stumped. What would 2 'situations of importance' typically mean?? Would appreciate any responses fellas !

Meanwhile, all the very best to all applicants.

GMAT 730 Q 49 V 41 | INSEAD R1 (ding), LBS R1 (ding), ESADE R3 (accepted), Kellogg 1Y R2 (awaited), Cornell Johnson AMBA R3 (awaited)

Intern
Intern

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 01:13
Roll call for applicants for IMD 2012

ROUND 1
iceman1 - 660 / indian /
mertvye - 710 / spanish / 5.5 yrs
MBAdreamchaser - 710 / indian / 6 yrs
blueman - interviewing

ROUND 2
ravdoc - 730 / indian / 6 yrs

GMAT 730 Q 49 V 41 | INSEAD R1 (ding), LBS R1 (ding), ESADE R3 (accepted), Kellogg 1Y R2 (awaited), Cornell Johnson AMBA R3 (awaited)

Last edited by ravdoc on 06 Mar 2011, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 15:02
I have also applied to IMD, this forum is dead.

Has anyone received interview notification?

Indian/Male/710/6yrs/IT + Entrepreneur
Intern
Intern

Re: IMD Applicants 2012 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 22:59
MBAdreamchaser wrote:
I have also applied to IMD, this forum is dead.

Has anyone received interview notification?

Indian/Male/710/6yrs/IT + Entrepreneur

Hi MBAdreamchaser, rollcall updated.
forum is dead indeed. Dont know if its a function of the number of applicants, but even the IMD 2011 forum also had only 12 pages of entries. Guess most ppl mite be waiting for the US bschools / INSEAD / LBS etc final results before applyin to IMD. In that case, R1 and R2 might be of advantage.
I'm currently working on my essays, shud be sending in the application by mid March.
cheers, and do keep posting.

Re: IMD Applicants 2012   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2011, 22:59