Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618566 [40]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [8]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1552 [5]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Re: A recent study showed that the constant roar of jet aircraft could be [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat could you please me to explain why the option is E instead of C. C looks much more precise and it is also parllel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Re: A recent study showed that the constant roar of jet aircraft could be [#permalink]
hi, can you please explain why option E, makes a better choice over option C. I was confused between the 2 and ended up going with option C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Bookmarks
I am unable to understand difference between
have an impact on well being and
impact well being

Chose C as it was a more concise way.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A recent study showed that the constant roar of jet aircraft could be a serious impact to the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have high blood pressure.

A. be a serious impact to the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

B. seriously impact the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

C. seriously impact the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having

D. have a serious impact on the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

E. have a serious impact on the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having

I am not really sure of the reason why option E is correct over C?
Bunuel VeritasKarishma please advise on the explanation ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A recent study showed that the constant roar of jet aircraft could be a serious impact to the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have high blood pressure.

A. be a serious impact to the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

B. seriously impact the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

C. seriously impact the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having

D. have a serious impact on the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility to have

E. have a serious impact on the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having

I am not really sure of the reason why option E is correct over C?
Bunuel VeritasKarishma please advise on the explanation ..

Is the construction " impact on psy... is superior than impact the psy... ( perhaps the later on is changing the meaning). still need OA to understand the difference correctly. i
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO

Answer C is definitely correct
seriously impact is parallel to sharply increase (verb to verb)

Answer E is wrong because:
a serious impact is not parallel to sharply increase(noun to verb).

Thanks = Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rupeshnverbal wrote:
seriously impact is parallel to sharply increase (verb to verb)
Some people think that using impact as a verb to mean affect is not correct (I'm not saying that I agree with them).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I also marked C.
Logic:
1. Verb form vs Noun form making the concision more logical
2. Parallelism is maintained

the OA, i.e. E, made me ponder over the logic that [b]constant roar of a jet engine[\b] (Cannot be the doer) can itself not hurt XXX. The OA makes sense. Also, Parallelism is maintained.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Could one of the experts please explain why E is the OA and not C.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
A recent study showed that the constant roar of jet aircraft could be [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkashM wrote:

Hello, AkashM. I think AjiteshArun touched on this very point in his post above. As far as I know, this affect-versus-effect (verb-versus-noun) concern surrounding impact is not one that GMAC™ has used to create a split in an official question. For my part, I prefer the phrasing of (E) to (C), but I am not overly fond of adverbs...

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Originally posted by AndrewN on 24 Apr 2020, 14:33.
Last edited by AndrewN on 25 Apr 2020, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
AkashM wrote:

Hello, AkashM. I think AjiteshArun touched on this very point in his post above. As far as I know, this affect-versus-effect (verb-versus-noun) concern surrounding impact is not one that GMAC™ has used to create a split in an official question. For my part, I prefer the phrasing of (E) to (C), but I not overly fond of adverbs...

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Damn! It took me 10 mins to understand what you and Ajitesh are trying to say. :lol:

Appreciate the help! Thanks and kudos to both of you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
AkashM wrote:
Damn! It took me 10 mins to understand what you and Ajitesh are trying to say. :lol:

Appreciate the help! Thanks and kudos to both of you.
Looking at my post now, I can only imagine that I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote it. :)

Here is a slightly better response for anyone else who wants to evaluate this question:

i. Impact as a noun:

1. ~the action of hitting or colliding
A sufficiently strong impact could deflect an asteroid. ← "A strong collision could deflect an asteroid"

This is absolutely fine.

2. ~an effect
The are studying the impact of buybacks on stock prices. ← "... studying the effect of buybacks..."
The impact on EPS is likely to be significant. ← "The effect on EPS is likely to be significant"

This is absolutely fine.

ii. Impact as a verb form:

3. ~hit
The DART spacecraft will impact a small moonlet. ← "DART will hit a small moonlet"

This is absolutely fine.

4. ~affect
Stock buybacks impact earnings per share. ← "Buybacks affect EPS"

Some people would not use impact as a verb to mean affect.

iii. Impact on as verb

5. ~affect
Stock buybacks impact on earnings per share. ← "Buybacks affect EPS"

Many people would be uncomfortable using impact on as a verb to mean affect.

I would not expect to see (iii) (impact on as a verb) in the correct option (similar, official question), but option C uses impact as a verb to mean affect. Although some people would object to this, it is widely accepted. For this reason, I wouldn't advise a test taker to worry too much about this question.

To summarize: (a) this may not be a good question, and (b) you should be suspicious only of (iii) (impact on as a verb).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
The word 'could' is the past tense of 'can'. It's used to mean that somebody was able to do something in the past. So the former sentence means that he was able to climb the mountain. The phrase "could have" is used to mean that somebody was capable of doing something, but he actually didn't do it. So E is a better choice than C.

C. could seriously impact the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having
- The constant roar can do it but is not doing it
- I could do it

E. could have a serious impact on the psychological well-being of children living near airports and sharply increase their possibility of having

Could have means - The possibility of a serious impact
- I could have done it - It was possible
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why is E preferred over C?
It will be really helpful if someone knows a similar example from OG.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Giovanni1502 wrote:
Can anyone please explain why is E preferred over C?
It will be really helpful if someone knows a similar example from OG.

Hi Giovanni1502,

C looks like this: "X could seriously impact Y". Impact is used to mean affect here, so we can read option C like this: "X could seriously affect Y". Some people feel that impact cannot be used to mean affect, but, because this is not an official question, we don't know whether this "rule" is something that can be applied on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Could u pls confirm why C is incorrect since it is parallel
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
By parallelism, the option should have been D, however, the correct one is E. Unable to understand why, and no satisfactory response has been given so far.

I would appreciate an expert to opine on this.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts