Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 13:36
News came in Wall street journal that the two are contemplating a merger.Any thoughts on how it affects hiring?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 18:58
not significantly - these things rarely seem to compared with macro stuff

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [2] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
Class2012 wrote:
News came in Wall street journal that the two are contemplating a merger.Any thoughts on how it affects hiring?

3underscore is right. Hiring in consulting is driven by demand (meaning how much business the firms are picking up). Normally when companies merge, they have a layoff as part of consolidation/cost-cutting (or they call it an integration, synergy or other euphemism applied here). However, in consulting, you generate revenue through billing clients. If the business is picking up, you need more headcount (and more consultants assigned to clients for more billing, etc).

Especially in the big firms, they have planned recruiting goal target they have to meet every year. It won't be affected that much by a merger. A merger of 2 firms does not necessarily eliminate clients or consulting needs as a result. After all, if one firm can't do something, the business goes to the other consulting firm down the street.

They have to hire because they understand that people come and go. Therefore, it's not something you should be overly concerned about. There are other things to worry about once you enter bschool. :-D

Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:40
Just read that they called off their merger talks.Apparently the partners at Booz did not agree since there is a considerable overlap in their operations consulting practice.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 13:03
i thought that was one point of a merger - to consolidate overlapping areas...

My profile

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:31
mba2013 wrote:
i thought that was one point of a merger - to consolidate overlapping areas...

Depends who gets to run it, who gets to inherit it, client conflicts and whether the scale would call it under scrutiny.

To name the first few that spring to mind.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 20:37
i hadn't heard of AT Kearney until this thread, although to be fair, i'm not exactly well versed on the industry as a whole. However, I sat in on a company presentation and met with a lot of their consultants during a recent conference, and I was pretty blown away. Their guys seemed sharp and on point, especially when compared against guys from other household names.

Two things they spoke about that were pretty cool were 1) a global initiative within the firm, where you can actively get placed in overseas projects if you request it, and 2) the flexibility of the firm that allowed you to take short sabbaticals even as an associate. They mentioned stuff like paternity leave, but if you have a good reason, you can take a few weeks off for just about anything; one guy even mentioned taking a few weeks off to head to the Midwest to work on a nonprofit that hes a part of.

The culture seemed pretty laid back and flexible, and if you're not hell bent on M/B/B or bust, then I'd seriously take a look at these guys. I'm not 100% sold on consulting, but I think I will definitely keep in touch with them during recruiting season.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:04
some firms also promise 3/4/5 on every project, or that you always get your first pick during staffing...:roll:

id just take it with a grain of salt cause it sounds like they sold ya good on the firm :-D

My profile

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:18
that's true. an important next step would be to get in touch with recent alumni at your school to get a different perspective (this is true of any job search though)

GMAT Debrief

Re: Impact of BooZ-A.T.Kearney merger on recruiting   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2010, 07:18