Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 10:23
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions regarding how to best communicate my post-MBA goals given that, at least immediately, my goals are relatively mainstream.

I work at a large, multinational financial institution. I am considered a high performer and am viewed as a future leader in the company, and as a result may be eligible for MBA sponsorship. My immediate post-MBA career path may involve me returning to my current employer - I would make a functional shift (from strategy) to a different area of the company where more specific financial technical skill would be required (closer to traditional corporate/investment banking). I could however pursue the same kind of work post-MBA elsewhere. I do have longer term, entrepreneurial goals that would be built on from returning to work at my current employer/working in a similar role elsewhere.

My questions regarding this conundrum:

Do I need to convey my much loftier long term goals, or should I focus on my performance to date resulting in the opportunity to be fast-tracked with my current employer (I worry this is too mainstream)?

If I should convey my more ambitious long term goals, then should I stay away from committing to returning to my current employer and communicate my immediate post-career goal more generically (I'm not sure how communicating an intent to return, but also an intent to leave would be received)?

And would the answer to these questions differ by school, since I know some schools (H/S) are more demanding in terms of game-changing ambitions than others (I'm targeting top 10-15 schools)?

Thanks for your help,

Steve
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 05:32
Expert's post
Steve-

My two cents...
You are correct about the allure of the game-changing reason for an MBA. A critical question to answer to the Admissions Committee is "Why an MBA, and Why Now?" As well as "Why at that school?" If the MBA is not critical to your path, your reason for wanting an MBA and wanting it now is not as compelling. Generally, you have to give them a reason to see that you will immensely benefit from the MBA at their institution now. To me MBA admissions, like success in life, is about having a full-proof strategy: In this case, what is your goal, how do you need to position yourself to reach that goal?

Best of luck-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews