Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 10:53
I just received a notification that my scheduled GMAT (which was planned right before the switch on June 5) has been cancelled, and I'm trying to reschedule. I have a question about how the bell curve works which would really help me make my decision (I will now have to drive 150 miles to take the test before June 5).

I am generally comfortable with standardized tests and haven't studied a great deal for the GMAT (3 practice tests, a bit of work on problem areas), but I'm happy with my practice tests scores (700 range). I have done exactly one IR practice problem -- so I'd be reviewing it from scratch next weekend.

If I take the "new" GMAT right after the IR section launches, my assumption is that everyone will be in the same boat with regards to prep levels -- there just isn't much practice material to study, so we'll all be taking it a bit cold, which is fine with me. Will people be scored relatively among their test group (people who take it within the first few days), or will they be scored against an absolute standard regardless of the cohort's performance?

Also, with regards to the bell curve for the quant and verbal section -- is it based on deeper historic performance records (ie, we will be benchmarked against everyone taking the GMAT this year), or is it just benchmarked against the folks who take it around the same time as you? I'm probably really overanalyzing here, but honestly, I secretly kind of worry that all the GMAT prep providers will all send their teachers to see this new section in the wild on opening weekend, and so the competition might be much stronger. Or perhaps weaker, as all the strategic test-takers would avoid this window. I don't really know.

Perhaps these are weird externalities to consider, but I'd love to hear any perspectives on this before I commit to a new test date.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 605 [1] , given: 114

Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
I would try a few IR practice tests. They only take 30 minutes. See how you do on them. I personally would score a perfect score on almost all IR questions b/c the type of work they want you to do is exactly the kind of stuff I do at my current job. But if you do poorly on the questions then you might see that the IR will waste precious study time. My advice is to drive the 150 miles, stay the night, and take the test there. This is only for the simple fact that you can spend more time studying for the Quant and Verbal, and no time studying for IR.

It sucks they canceled your test. I would look at all your options to take the test before June 5th in your area. That extra Quant Verbal studying without IR might be the difference between a 690 and a 700 and I wouldn't leave that up to chance.

But if IR is super easy for you then it might not matter

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 13:18
stella123 wrote:
I just received a notification that my scheduled GMAT (which was planned right before the switch on June 5) has been cancelled, and I'm trying to reschedule. I have a question about how the bell curve works which would really help me make my decision (I will now have to drive 150 miles to take the test before June 5).

why was your scheduled test canceled ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 14:24
Why was your test cancelled!!! That's worries me! I have my test scheduled on May 31, 2012.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 07:25
They had an "anticipated power outage". They said it was really unusual... but it has totally left me in a pinch. I planned this a long time ago and picked a test center that was accessible by public transportation (and there were plenty of other options when I registered!), but now their only open options are several states away, so I'm going to have to rent a car and drive several hours to take the exam. They were not very accommodating or apologetic... my expectations for customer service honestly weren't very high, but I was really disappointed by how they handled things, particularly given the late notice.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 07:42
Sorry to hear that.That really sucks.
Do you think you would have the enough energy and enthusiasm to take the GMAT after driving for several hours ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 33

Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 10:24
guys any idea what on the IR would be a good score? is it also a score on a 6 point scale like AWA?
Re: implications of test date on bellcurve (to IR or not to IR?)   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 10:24