Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

importance of GMAT balance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

importance of GMAT balance [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 10:57
Looking at mine and other GMAT scores on this site, there are some of us who have semi-lopsided scores. Is a rough score of 49Q/37V (89%/81%) a big deal? I have a mechanical engineering undergrad, so I could imagine this looking like I am very strong on quant and relatively weak on verbal.

I'm a native speaker and I've mostly seen concern from schools that people can handle quant. stuff at school, not verbal/comprehension. Is this something to worry about or is it a relatively minor concern? The overall score of 700 is good, and I'd rather not retake it if that would be enough for the top 5 schools. thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: importance of GMAT balance [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 17:20
lopsided scores dont matter if the good score is on the quantitative, but if its on the verbal it can hurt you (like a 37Q 49V is not as strong as a 49Q 37V), but it is the 200-800 score that always does matter. 700 is pretty strong ( i scored a 700 45Q 41V), but if you are looking for top 5 schools you should take again (I plan to) bc if you think you can improve 20-30 points it can put you in the very interested pile instead of the maybe pile, although they definitely won't throw your app away due to GMAT score with a 700. 700 is not extremely competitive in the top 5 (or 10), but it is acceptable ( I think its like 25th percentile with Harvard and Stanford applicants, to throw some stats at you).
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: importance of GMAT balance [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:15
Expert's post
mr_gondola,

You should not retake the GMAT to correct your "lopsided" score. You are over the 80th percentile in both verbal and quant so you're above the acceptable threshold, and your verbal score won't hurt you. As noted, B-schools care more about the quant score than the verbal score, but a *truly* lopsided Q-V ratio (which yours is not) would be a concern for them. So your score is good enough, but not head-turning. Whether you should retake the GMAT to raise your overall score depends on whether (a) you think you can do better and (b) focusing time on GMAT prep will detract from the quality of other parts of your app. If you are in a very common demographic profile and are applying to schools whose average GMAT is higher than yours, then retaking the GMAT may make sense.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog