Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of the last few questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:04
Hello,

I noticed in my last couple of MGMAT practice tests that in verbal section the Percentile Est dropped from 99% to 85% when I got 3 questions incorrect. Hence the final score of 38-40 instead of 44 or above(assuming that maintaining 99% leads to score 44 or above). Is this how it works in real GMAT?

I always end up getting last few questions wrong in verbal due to lack of time. Is it advisable to guess few questions towards the end if you are running out of time and try to answers last few questions correctly, so that the section ends with correct answers instead of wrong ones.

Experts please throw some light on this strategy.

Thank you,
C23678
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2174

Kudos [?]: 7743 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:06
Expert's post
Take a look here - this scenario has been repeated and experimented with many times by those of us who could not imagine anything more entertaining than taking a GMAT Prep test: gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

P.S. The quick answer is - not big

Quote:
2. What is the importance of the last 10 questions?
Experiment: We will try to analyze the importance of the last 10 questions and if it equals the important of the first 10
Methodology: we will attempt the worst case scenario and will answer the first 27 Q questions correctly and then will answer the remaining 10 questions incorrectly (not guess but incorrectly).
Results: Q50, 92nd percentile - Nicely done though not great. I think it is possible to get Q51 with 10 incorrect ones.
Analysis: The questions were much harder this time with some new topics/types appearing on the test such as coordinate geometry DS. Conclusion: the last 10 don't count as much as the first 10. This myth is True (as long as you can get the first 27 right). Please note that I have not guessed the last 10 but rather answered them incorrectly (which means I still had to solve those questions too). If you are guessing, you will most likely get a higher score.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" (again) and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1st percentile. Total score: 470 (90 points higher than when we missed the first 10 questions)
Questions: 20PS and 17 DS. Also, see what question topics were encountered in this scenario:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:12
Thanks bb.

bb wrote:
Take a look here - this scenario has been repeated and experimented with many times by those of us who could not imagine anything more entertaining than taking a GMAT Prep test: gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

P.S. The quick answer is - not big

Quote:
2. What is the importance of the last 10 questions?
Experiment: We will try to analyze the importance of the last 10 questions and if it equals the important of the first 10
Methodology: we will attempt the worst case scenario and will answer the first 27 Q questions correctly and then will answer the remaining 10 questions incorrectly (not guess but incorrectly).
Results: Q50, 92nd percentile - Nicely done though not great. I think it is possible to get Q51 with 10 incorrect ones.
Analysis: The questions were much harder this time with some new topics/types appearing on the test such as coordinate geometry DS. Conclusion: the last 10 don't count as much as the first 10. This myth is True (as long as you can get the first 27 right). Please note that I have not guessed the last 10 but rather answered them incorrectly (which means I still had to solve those questions too). If you are guessing, you will most likely get a higher score.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" (again) and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1st percentile. Total score: 470 (90 points higher than when we missed the first 10 questions)
Questions: 20PS and 17 DS. Also, see what question topics were encountered in this scenario:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2174

Kudos [?]: 7743 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:13
Expert's post
Oops, looks like you asked about Verbal - here is the verbal summary:

Quote:
1) What if you get all the LAST 11 questions incorrect ?

Testing Scenario:
All the last 11 questions incorrect and others correct.

Result:
V38 ( 83 percentile, not bad after getting 11 questions incorrect in a row)

Analysis:
The 11 incorrect questions at the end of the Verbal section did not bring the score down greatly. It is unlikely that someone after attempting first 30 correctly would go so wrong in the last 11. The results show that the momentum gained by the first 30 questions is not significantly beaten by the last 11.

Conclusion:
Can we conclude that one should not worry about the last 11 questions, probably not. But, a few glitches at the end of the test would not destroy your hopes of getting a good score. This will be more clear from the results below.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:27
I found the same for verbal in the same link you provided.. Thanks again. :-D
bb wrote:
Oops, looks like you asked about Verbal - here is the verbal summary:

Quote:
1) What if you get all the LAST 11 questions incorrect ?

Testing Scenario:
All the last 11 questions incorrect and others correct.

Result:
V38 ( 83 percentile, not bad after getting 11 questions incorrect in a row)

Analysis:
The 11 incorrect questions at the end of the Verbal section did not bring the score down greatly. It is unlikely that someone after attempting first 30 correctly would go so wrong in the last 11. The results show that the momentum gained by the first 30 questions is not significantly beaten by the last 11.

Conclusion:
Can we conclude that one should not worry about the last 11 questions, probably not. But, a few glitches at the end of the test would not destroy your hopes of getting a good score. This will be more clear from the results below.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Importance of the last few questions [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 10:56
bb, c23678,
I had the same issue. I have included 2 screenshots of the results from two separate MGMAT CATs. In the second one i miss a few towards the end but get the last 5 right which resulted in a 96%tile Verbal. In the first one, I get 30 through 39 correct but miss the last 2 which surprisingly drops my score from a 99%tile to 88%tile.

This result was surprising as it resulted in a huge drop in total overall score. The one where I got the 2 final questions wrong dropped me to a V39…had I got them correct it would have been a V 44 or 45. So, instead of the Q41, V39 (660) I would have likely got a Q41, V44/45 (710+). It was very surprising to me to see such a large delta due to only 2 questions.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Thanks,

FPBULL
Attachments

Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.36.png
Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.36.png [ 86.2 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.04.png
Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.04.png [ 60.55 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Re: Importance of the last few questions   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2014, 10:56