Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of UG record at Yale SOM

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 06:04
Hi guys,

I know that Bruce delMonico at Yale has said that for them, raw intellectual ability is a significant factor. As most of us by now have learned, the two proxies for intellectual potential are the UG record and the GMAT.

My question: is a poor UG record enough to get weeded out from Yale SOM? I ask because I know that in their bid to becoming a Top 10 school, they've really clamped down on their admissions stats.

Any input would be well appreciated.

Last edited by osbornecox on 25 Aug 2010, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 06:52
UG GPA and GMAT avgs at YSOM have been trending upwards in the last few years. They are important part of one's application. Low UG GPA is an obstacle for pretty much all the top bschools, not just YSOM. But then at every top bschool, someone with low GPA gets in but they are usually unique cases. Many applicants from last year with superb GMAT score but with sub 3.0 UG GPA had trouble getting accepted into top bschools. If you fall into the case described above, best thing you can do is explain the reasons for low GPA somewhere in your application, and demonstrate your committment to academic excellence if admitted, etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 09:05
This response is not only for Yale SOM, but for most top bschools. If you don't have any outstanding reason for why your undergraduate gpa is so low, then it will be a problem. If you've been working for a while, GPA will matter less, but will still be taken into account. Taking some college classes and doing well in them, and getting a high GMAT score will likely help. However, only to a degree.

Keep in mind, things like US News rankings and school profiles matter...a lot. The average GPA of incoming students are reflected in magazines publications and rankings. Therefore, schools just don't want to take a large number of people with lower GPAs because it will drag down their average, even if applicants have compelling reasons for poor UG performance or were simply immature in college. Like, nink mentioned, hope for the best but know that schools do care about GPA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 05:41
Thank you for your explanations. They are sobering, but also a good incentive to make everything else as strong as possible.

Thank you guys. As I said, it's sobering, but also motivating.

Last edited by osbornecox on 25 Aug 2010, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 05:42
Nink, my country got an easy group, but our round of 16 fix is going to be absolutely brutal.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 10:37
I completely agree with 11MBA. The importance of your UG record will go down as the level of your experience goes up. However, as previously mentioned, your GPA still does matter since it will be provided for in the school records.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 14:27
I think it is very important, unless of course you have things to compensate for it.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:42
oh man... now i am even more demoralized with my 2.92/720 and grad 3.27... :( guess i shouldve aimed lower heh...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 17:36
shaselai wrote:
oh man... now i am even more demoralized with my 2.92/720 and grad 3.27... :( guess i shouldve aimed lower heh...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 18:12
pcoles wrote:
I completely agree with 11MBA. The importance of your UG record will go down as the level of your experience goes up.

That's probably more relevant for PT MBA because for FT MBA programs, many schools are looking for younger candidates and in a lot of cases, an applicant faces lower odds of getting in due to his or her age. Once you reach 30 and beyond, it certainly will be more difficult to get into FT programs at some schools.

Ehh, I don't want to sound like a dooms day case. Talk to GoBruins. (@ Ross). He kinda went through it himself and found ways to get into top programs. I can tell you...it certainly was not easy for him at first. But he figured it out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 09:14
Speaking of Yale, did anyone see that Bloomberg piece about possibly opening a campus in India... thought it was interesting. It was dated 11/5
Re: Importance of UG record at Yale SOM   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2010, 09:14