Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of visiting schools and attending admsn events

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Importance of visiting schools and attending admsn events [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 22:17
Other than gaining more insights about the schools, does it help to attend the admission events? Do the school see whether the applicants attended any of the events?

Last edited by sm176811 on 15 Oct 2006, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 22:25
I am undecided about the MIT talk tomorrow in Seattle. I am very interested in the Sloan program, but Seattle is abt 250 miles (oneway) drive from where I live! I have friends at MIT who have told me about the program, so I was wondering whether it is really worth the drive.

Any thoughts or suggestion ASAP would be appreciated.
Cheers!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 01:16
I know that for Berkeley, if you live on the West Coast and have not visited the campus they ask you to explain why in the application. I have heard from other schools that whether you visit or not is not a consideration.

All of the info sessions I have attended to have sign-in sheets.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 03:28
I think it helps to hear about the school from the source rather than reading all of the smack that's on the B-week forums. That being said, it's not THAT worth it to go 250 miles out of your way for. I'm in Midtown Manhattan so I've been able to attend info sessions for most of my schools within a ten block radius of either work or home. The big draw is hearing about the experiences of the alumni/current students there, but if you e-mail people at the school I'm sure you'll also get the same info and perhaps a bit more insight b/c the dean of admissions isn't standing over their shoulder. I couldn't go to Kellogg's info session so I just got in touch w/ a student club that interested me and the person I e-mailed got back right away, so I don't feel like I missed out on anything.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 03:33
I don't think they cross check lists in all honesty, but...

1) You get by far the best information there.
2) It shows initiative and a real interest in teh school to attend, and its extremely easy to mention in your essays.
3) I would imagine that if you were local and didn't come to the campus they'd wonder how serious you were about the school.

That being said, I doubt it would make or break your application.
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2006, 03:33