Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of Your Name in your mba.com Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 13

Importance of Your Name in your mba.com Profile [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
While browsing on internate I came across some posts which talked about GMAT center not allowing them to take GMAT because of name mismatch.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/i-w ... t7894.html
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/id- ... 12073.html

While researching more on it, I found that this could be an issue for most of Indian candidates (and some of others as well ) because of Indian passport naming convention (This might not apply to few Indian names (Our diversity :-D ) but for most of them it will)
Indian passport Naming standard (If you have surname and middle name)
Surname: zzzzz
Given Name: xxxxx yyyyy
where
xxxxx : First Name
yyyyy: Middle/fathers Name
zzzzz: Lats name/Surname/Family Name

There is no row for Middle/fathers name on Indian passport but mba.com profile has it.

I decided to get it clarified from GMAC people , so I dropped them an email and I got below response:

Please Note:
I have few friends who has their names as below
Passport
Surname: ZZZZZ
Given Name: XXXXX YYYYY
MBA.COM profile
First Name/ Given Name: XXXXX
Middle Name: YYYYY
Last Name / Surname / Family Name: ZZZZZ

They did not faced any issue while taking exam ( They took exam in India and I do not have this data about those taking exam abroad).
I think Indian test centers know about Indian naming standards so they allowed it or overlooked it but if someone is very strict about these rules and take a note in difference in naming standard it might cause a trouble..

Summary:
When GMAT itself has said that name on mba.com need to match your identification paper exactly then why take chances ? Also please note that if you are not allowed to take exam because of this issue GMAC will will forfeit the registration fee.

How to change it ?
1) Fax a photocopy of a government issued identification (e.g. a driver’s license or passport) that documents your correct name to 1-952-681-3681 Attn: GMAT Program Coordinator. Please include a cover letter with an explanation of why your name has changed and your contact information.
OR
2) Contact GMAC through email (GMATCandidateServicesAmericas@pearson.com) and send the requested documentation as a scanned attachment.

I am planning to take printout of this email along with me while going for exam. ( I hope you guys don't think I am paranoid :evil: But what they heck, I don't care if I become paranoid or superparanoid ( I don't know if this word exist or not but I hope you guys know what I mean ) all I want is 720 )

--------
Please +1 Kudos if you think this post is helpful....

Thanks
jd
Attachments

File comment: name change updated
Name Change updated.jpg
Name Change updated.jpg [ 126.8 KiB | Viewed 2183 times ]

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Importance of Your Name in your mba.com Profile [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2014, 02:54
Hi,

I have one small query regarding name issues.My name in gmat registration is appearing in lower case alphabets although I was cautious enough to use proper conventions ( first letter of Name and surname in uppercase and rest in lower case). However My entire name is appearing in lower case letters, is this a big issue ? or is it fine ( Sorry for being a lil cuckoo about this but could not stop myself from posting after reading all these posts). Appreciate your reply in this

P.S I am a regular visitor of gmat club. The threads, posts , replies everything is helpful and informative in so many ways

Thanks in advance
Re: Importance of Your Name in your mba.com Profile   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2014, 02:54