Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Important question on roots and exponents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 10:52
On the GMAT we are told by the GMAC that: the value of 4^2 has two values, +2 and -2. However the value of Square root of 4 has only one value, 2.

However, 4^1/2 equals square root 4. So my problem is, when you translate between fractional exponents and roots, what happens with the rule?

If the GMAT write down 4^1/2, does that mean if I translate it to square root 4 I only have 1 answer? Because 4^1/2 sorta has two answers. Or is it that you always need to translate 4^1/2 into square root 4 because its not proper to have fractional exponents?

Someone help, thanks :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8372 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 13:17
Expert's post
On the GMAT you are only tested about the positive results of square root operations, so \sqrt{4} has only one solution - 2

This does make things a bit funny, and most don't even think/know about this. However, it is a wall for mathematically inclined to climb over :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 21:23
benjiboo wrote:
On the GMAT we are told by the GMAC that: the value of 4^2 has two values, +2 and -2. However the value of Square root of 4 has only one value, 2.

However, 4^1/2 equals square root 4. So my problem is, when you translate between fractional exponents and roots, what happens with the rule?

If the GMAT write down 4^1/2, does that mean if I translate it to square root 4 I only have 1 answer? Because 4^1/2 sorta has two answers. Or is it that you always need to translate 4^1/2 into square root 4 because its not proper to have fractional exponents?

Someone help, thanks :)

4^2 (4^2) has only one value: 16

I think you mean \sqrt{4} :wink:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

Re: Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 17:54
Here is my problem:

X^2 has two solutions, one positive and one negative.

|X| has two solutions, one positive and one negative

\sqrt{X^2} = |X|

However, GMAT states that \sqrt{X} has only one solution, the positive value.

SO...

\sqrt{25} = 5

but according to the GMAT

\sqrt{5^2} = 5 and -5

yet 25 = 5^2

I am confused! Help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 20:27
I am confused too now. So according to GMAT \sqrt{x} has only positive value?????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Important question on roots and exponents [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 21:07
check this link http://www.mathpath.org/concepts/princi ... e.root.htm

it talk about principal square root, is that it for GMAT too, GMAT considers only principal square root?

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Re: Important question on roots and exponents   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2009, 21:07