Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Important question regarding cancellation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Important question regarding cancellation [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 11:07
My test is on Tuesday (4 days from now). I worked way too much over the last couple of weeks, and i am very run down, stressed out, discouraged etc. I haven't been able to do anything the last two nights, and i now feel as though i will not be able to finish everything that I was planning on. I've done a ton of problems from most of the sources, but i haven't spent much time going over what I was getting wrong. This is what i was supposed to be doing now . . .

Anyway, I was wondering whether I should postpone, take and cancel, or take and get my score. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both. My power prep scores were 740 and 730 (both BEFORE OG) and my OG percentage correct was about 92% overall (and only 85% on the last parts of the math section). Everyone and his mom is basically saying that he aced the powerprep and OG but had lots of trouble with the real deal. This has always been discouraging, but it is INFINITELY more discouraging right before one takes the test.

Please advise.

Regards,

Htown
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 12:54
hi htown,

i'm not sure if my reply is going to help because i haven't taken the test yet (am taking it tomorrow, incidentally). i'm also a bit discouraged by people saying that it's completely different from the og, etc, seeing how i've spent a lot of time on the og and the powerprep.

i can't judge to what extent the actual test is changing and becoming harder. but i think it's human nature to find the actual test harder than the practice ones- on the test day, one hard question is a much bigger problem than on the power prep or other practice tests. it doesn't matter if you say you take them as seriously as a real test, the fact is they're not the real test.

i was also considering postponing my test but i'm going to go ahead and take it. i figure a couple more weeks are not going to make me more ready for an exam that is "changing, becoming so much harder, impossible, oh my god you should have taken it back in april!". instead, i'll go take the exam, do my best on it, hope i come out with something over 700. and if i don't, then i'll have my own personal evaluation of how the test really differs from the og, and will take a few weeks to prepare for it as best i can.

it sounds like your scores on the pp are really high, i'm guessing you will do great on the test day!

anyway, let us know what you decide to do in the end, i can give you my opinion of the test after tomorrow. an opinion which will, of course, be just as biased as everybody else's, but which at least comes from someone who is pissed off at the general "sooooo much harder than the og" comments from people who have taken it in the last 2 months.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 13:33
toujours,

I think you're right on the money. While I haven't decided for sure, comments like these are certainly more encouraging. I look forward to hearing about your experience. Best of luck tomorrow.
You seem to have a good attitude about things, so I'm sure you'll do fine.

all the best,

Htown
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 13:48
Toujours,

One more thing . . . what have you been doing (GMat-related) the last few days? I had these grand plans of going over all the questions I've already done (especially the one's I've done wrong) in order to make some last minute adjustments where necessary.

Lately, I have considered just taking it easy, doing minimal review this weekend, and going into the test clear-headed and anxious to work problems (right now i am so sick of the work GMAT).

Part of the problem is that I did the OG in 6 days cover to cover (in 100 problem sets - 150 minutes). I did this to improve my timing (and to actually get through the thing given my time constraints).

Let me know what you think,

Good luck!!!!!!

Htown
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 14:21
htown, thanks for your good thoughts!

again, don't take my advice too seriously since i still don't know how good it is :wink: but here's what i've been doing the last few days:

-going over the quant questions i got wrong on the og (i'm fairly strong on verbal so i'm not going to bother with those right now, no time), trying to come up "types" of questions i got wrong and ways to avoid it happening tomorrow. but i'm not killing myself over it, just trying to look at it objectively.

-going over a few more probability/combination questions *just in case the test IS changing, haha* i'm using this site for that.

-reading over the essay topics (for the awa) just before bedtime. it's as effective as counting sheep, and i know it will give me a little burst of confidence tomorrow if i recognize the topic i'm asked to write about.

that's about it. i don't think i can change too much right now, so i will try to relax tonight (have i mentioned i get rather stressed before exams?)

i thought i might go out and spend time with friends, but honestly, who'd want to spend the evening with me in the state i'm in? i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

ah wait, i'm forgetting something! i did this last weekend, and it really helped: i went down to the test center and just stood there like an idiot, looking around. it really helps me to relax, actually. i just imagine myself there (instead of imagining myself lost on the way, or in some huge scary place)

anyway, i'll let you know after tomorrow!
  [#permalink] 12 Sep 2003, 14:21