Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Important tasks to complete before b-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 6

Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

As the R2 decision days start nearing, I thought it could be good to start a thread discussing the things we should be thinking about/doing as we prepare for business school life.

For example, I was just thinking about how my current doctor doesn't have my vaccination records but my undergrad health center does, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get those records to my current doctor to fill out b-school health forms at some point this year. Anyone have any insight into what shots are generally necessary before b-school?

Another thing: investing in a hard drive to back things up (if you don't have one already) and a fairly substantial flash drive to share work with classmates, study groupmates etc. Luckily I have this one already taken care of.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if this thread doesn't belong in this forum-I just thought it could be a good distracting way to keep our minds off impending decision letters etc. and it seems like this is the most active forum on GC.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3439

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 07:48
FAFSA?
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 22

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:20
Good call with this thread. My list gets longer by the day, but a couple of things I've been considering lately:

- Taking a stats or accounting class. My math is limited to calculus and that was awhile ago. (I found this old thread yesterday, which is pretty useful: prerequisites-mba-survival-kit-41579.html)

- Apartment hunting/furnishing

- Am I bringing my car?

- Extreme budgeting

- I was thinking about buying a Kindle. I've heard this can be an econonical (and less heavy!) textbook option. Do any current students know anything about Amazon's (or any of the alternatives) selection in terms of school materials?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:43
Outside/External scholarship applications

Considering cell phone/smartphone options (if your contract is close to being up), including family plans or deals as students to save money
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 09:32
- buy a new suit (will probably wait till the summer after i lose a few lbs)
- buy a nice watch
- invest in a new netbook / lightweight laptop (will also probably wait till the summer for this, although for different reasons than above)

re: the kindle - i can see the advantages of having an apparatus like that, although not for b-school. i think you'd be better off buying a lightweight laptop for school

GMAT Debrief

Current Student

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 09:42
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch
- invest in a new netbook / lightweight laptop (will also probably wait till the summer for this, although for different reasons than above)

re: the kindle - i can see the advantages of having an apparatus like that, although not for b-school. i think you'd be better off buying a lightweight laptop for school

Are you investing in a netbook/lightweight laptop as your main computer for b-school or in addition to whatever computer the school recommends?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 10:07
LB20 wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

Are you investing in a netbook/lightweight laptop as your main computer for b-school or in addition to whatever computer the school recommends?

I would recomment AGAINST a new book as your primary computer. I use it to do like simple stuff, but they are slow. Especially after you ad a virus checker and all the other crap a computer runs in the background.
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 10:40
LB20 wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

as a main computer, unless my tuition already covered a laptop (not sure which schools do that, if any).

@gobruins - yeah, i probably wouldn't get a low end netbook; i'd get a CULV unit like the asus ul-30a or the acer 1810. there were also other models discussed in the laptop thread in the business school life forum

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 10:59
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

Personally, I'm going to try to hit up some of my area's restaurants. I'd like to check off the top 20 in the area before I leave for b-school. It's a small, albeit delicious, goal of mine.
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:14
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

no idea yet. i've been told that a "nice" watch is a must as an accessory in the business world. i currently only have a bare bones citizen watch... i'll be looking to upgrade that, although i'm not going to go nuts and get a tag heuer or anything like that. actually that's a good topic for a new thread - "advice on what kind of watch to buy?"

GMAT Debrief

Current Student

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:27
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

Personally, I'm going to try to hit up some of my area's restaurants. I'd like to check off the top 20 in the area before I leave for b-school. It's a small, albeit delicious, goal of mine.

I like this idea...I've sort of created a "bucket list" for my city. Although, it doesn't really go so well with my "I must save $$ before I go into debt" mentality. :-P
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3439

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 13:03
shadowsjc wrote:
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

no idea yet. i've been told that a "nice" watch is a must as an accessory in the business world. i currently only have a bare bones citizen watch... i'll be looking to upgrade that, although i'm not going to go nuts and get a tag heuer or anything like that. actually that's a good topic for a new thread - "advice on what kind of watch to buy?"

Ugh, watches are so heavy. How could you do that to your wrist? Blackberry/IPhone/GooglePhones are also a must-have accessory in the business world and they tell time too. Problem solved. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 13:07
sell house/condo/apartment that you own and cant sustain the mortgage with BSchool...
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:00
I'm looking for a dress watch (w/ leather strap) as well.

Out of curiousity, considering the potential flying we might have to do as students, is anyone considering a mileage card?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:45
This post received
KUDOS
Re: buying a kindle, I really don't see any students here that use one for textbooks. For the most part so far, the vast majority of course materials costs have gone towards case packs, which aren't available through Amazon (since they're made up of cases and articles chosen by the professor). For most courses I've taken, the textbook has been optional and I've managed just fine without it.

Re: vaccinations, I don't exactly remember which were required, but I think it was MMR, DPT, and Hep A/B. If you don't have vaccination records, I think most schools will also accept blood test results that show immunity to the diseases. For specific info, you should be able to find your school's health service website which should have info for incoming students.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, Ross, Berkeley
WE 1: Information Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 01:08
unhedged wrote:

I got a Tissot PRC200 with the black strap. Very versatile. It's dressy enough to be paired with a business suit and sporty enough to be worn with jeans and a t-shirt.

Do or Do Not.. There is no try
-- Master Yoda

Last edited by topa on 05 Mar 2010, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 22

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 07:07
Jerz wrote:
Re: buying a kindle, I really don't see any students here that use one for textbooks. For the most part so far, the vast majority of course materials costs have gone towards case packs, which aren't available through Amazon (since they're made up of cases and articles chosen by the professor). For most courses I've taken, the textbook has been optional and I've managed just fine without it.

That's great advice, thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:58
I have a nice watch already (a movado) and I saw several students with one on campus - so I think that would be fine (they sell them at a good discount on ashford.com). I may invest in a MacBook Air instead of a netbook. It has a little more kick - and is very light / easy to travel with still a slightly bigger screen for spreadsheets :) I have a kindle as well - and while good for books, I think an iPad may be better for textbooks (it has a color screen and several major textbook publishers have started working on apps for it).

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:03
topa wrote:
unhedged wrote:

I got a Tissot PRC200 with the black strap. Very versatile. It's dressy enough to be paired with a business suit and sporty enough to be worn with jeans and a t-shirt.

Do you have a chronograph/black face? I've been looking at Tissots, but the model i wanted has been discontinued (Le Locle w/ Arabic Numerals).
Current Student

Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 13:29
Hm. Hadn't really thought about the watch thing (I'm a girl). I actually don't wear a watch because I find it annoying when I'm typing (I used to take my watch off in college when I was in the library). I just rely on my blackberry. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be useful...
Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school?   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2010, 13:29