Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [1]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q46 V40
GMAT 4: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Improve Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey abrax,

Why don't you post a screenshot of your Quant review of your latest GMATPrep test. I want to see the error spread.

Regards,

Avik.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
WoundedTiger wrote:
Abrax99 wrote:

Check out what if scenarios as it provides you with good insights to the exam. If your Math score is in 30-40,you defintely need to work on basics.
You may also want to check GMATCLUB math book

I keep hearing this, and I really dont know how to apply this to myself. I also, score around Q35-39 and cant seem to improve. Whenever I go back to basics I just sigh. I dont need know for the fourth time how to solve x + 4 = 14. I get those fundamental facts, but here on the GMAT PS section, I cant solve more than 30% of the questions - somehow I get thrown off and really don't grasp the actual question. Once I do check the solution, it's quite clear. Any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
erikvm wrote:
WoundedTiger wrote:
Abrax99 wrote:

Check out what if scenarios as it provides you with good insights to the exam. If your Math score is in 30-40,you defintely need to work on basics.
You may also want to check GMATCLUB math book

I keep hearing this, and I really dont know how to apply this to myself. I also, score around Q35-39 and cant seem to improve. Whenever I go back to basics I just sigh. I dont need know for the fourth time how to solve x + 4 = 14. I get those fundamental facts, but here on the GMAT PS section, I cant solve more than 30% of the questions - somehow I get thrown off and really don't grasp the actual question. Once I do check the solution, it's quite clear. Any suggestions?

The most important part of doing practice questions is reviewing them when you are done. While you may just think "Ok, I need to go rewatch a video." It is important to understand not only how to get to the correct answer, but also why that logic is correct and why the other answers are incorrect.

When you get a question wrong, I would recommend trying it again before looking at the answer. Now that you have a 1/4 chance, do you look at the problem any differently knowing an answer (and a tempting one) is off the board? If its a DS question, Did you think both were sufficient? Did you think only one was sufficient?

To improve, its about going beyond rewatching concept videos (while that is important as well).

Based on your quant scores, it may be beneficial to go and make sure you have a proper foundation for each quant concept. This may mean rewatching a few hours of videos just to get everything into your head again or reading a math book. From there you can start to analyze your quant mistakes and track which areas are your weakest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erikvm,

What type of note-taking do you do? Do you write the question down so you KNOW what you're solving for? Do write down a formula before you use it or do you just write numbers on the pad?

The type of problem that you're describing might come down to your "mechanics" - the physical work that you choose to do (or not do). Usually, taking MORE notes makes the task easier.

For example: Find the height of a triangle with a base of 8 and an area of 56.

How would you go about answering this question? What steps would you take?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alexau wrote:

When you get a question wrong, I would recommend trying it again before looking at the answer. Now that you have a 1/4 chance, do you look at the problem any differently knowing an answer (and a tempting one) is off the board? If its a DS question, Did you think both were sufficient? Did you think only one was sufficient?

To improve, its about going beyond rewatching concept videos (while that is important as well).

Based on your quant scores, it may be beneficial to go and make sure you have a proper foundation for each quant concept. This may mean rewatching a few hours of videos just to get everything into your head again or reading a math book. From there you can start to analyze your quant mistakes and track which areas are your weakest.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try the not looking at the answer if I get a question wrong and try again. I've just recently started watching Khan Academy, which happens to be really great - got any other good conceptual videos I should watch?

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi erikvm,

What type of note-taking do you do? Do you write the question down so you KNOW what you're solving for? Do write down a formula before you use it or do you just write numbers on the pad?

The type of problem that you're describing might come down to your "mechanics" - the physical work that you choose to do (or not do). Usually, taking MORE notes makes the task easier.

For example: Find the height of a triangle with a base of 8 and an area of 56.

How would you go about answering this question? What steps would you take?

Rich

Well, I actually keep an error log in excel where I mark red for wrong and green for right on every question I do. If I get a question wrong I put a flag on it and write a tiny comment on what to remember for this specific question - sure - this gives me an understanding of that specific question, but then I hit another question and I usually get it wrong too.

Regarding your question on the triangle. Since I happen to know the formula for area for triangles, I'd do the following steps:

\(B*H/2 = 56\)
\(B*H = 112\)
\(8 * something is 112\). -> 112/8 = H
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erikvm,

In your last post, you mentioned how "since you happen to know the formula...." you would write it down. Are there formulas that you DON'T know or other math knowledge (rate formulas, math rules, Number Properties, etc.) that you don't think you know enough about?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi erikvm,

In your last post, you mentioned how "since you happen to know the formula...." you would write it down. Are there formulas that you DON'T know or other math knowledge (rate formulas, math rules, Number Properties, etc.) that you don't think you know enough about?

Rich

Absolutely. Functions for instance. I have a really hard time actually grasping the concept. Even though I get the basics "Okay, you put something in and get an output" - when it comes to harder questions, its just words. I don't understand it. For instance, this one:

the-function-f-is-defined-for-each-positive-three-digit-100847.html

I just sit here, staring at the words, with no idea on how to approach it
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erikvm,

One of the things that you should probably factor into your studies is the frequency with which any concept (or group of concepts) will show up on the GMAT. I agree that the Function question that you linked to is "thick", but as a category, you'll likely see just 1 Function question on the GMAT (and it probably will NOT be as difficult as the one you linked). Getting 1 tough function question wrong on Test Day won't kill your score, so you have to factor that into your 'psychology' - it's okay to get tough questions wrong. You're not supposed to get overly emotional about it though, since there are LOTS of questions that you CAN get correct and you need to stay calm and focused enough to really nail those gettable questions.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi erikvm,

One of the things that you should probably factor into your studies is the frequency with which any concept (or group of concepts) will show up on the GMAT. I agree that the Function question that you linked to is "thick", but as a category, you'll likely see just 1 Function question on the GMAT (and it probably will NOT be as difficult as the one you linked). Getting 1 tough function question wrong on Test Day won't kill your score, so you have to factor that into your 'psychology' - it's okay to get tough questions wrong. You're not supposed to get overly emotional about it though, since there are LOTS of questions that you CAN get correct and you need to stay calm and focused enough to really nail those gettable questions.

Rich

Thanks for the tip. What categories do you suggest I put heavy focus on?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Send PM