Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improve Reading Comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 18:10
Does anyone have any strategy to improve reading comprehension? I am not a native English speaker. I find RC especially hard. I am already to the point that I can get about 80-90% correct on CR and SC. But for RC, my hit rate seems to stuck at about 50%. What can I do other then just practice RC from the OG? I do read NY times everyday.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 18:52
What I find that works best for me is to go paragraph by paragraph. Go slowly and read each paragraph with a keen eye. Look out for scope works such as many, some and all. Also, look out for words like however because usually there is going to be some sort of counter-argument. After each paragraph, summarize what's going on and the main point of the paragraph and how it fits in to the entire RC question. Hope this helps. You don't want to remember every detail just understand what's going on in the paragraph and you can go back to that paragraph if a question references it. This will take some time at first but practice practice practice and it'll become easier. You'll make up your time on SC and CR questions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 19:21
Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to practice that way.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 06:55
There are no shortcuts to RC. You have to read the whole passage carefully and then attack the questions. Take small notes while you are reading.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 08:09
I have heard a lot of strategies about RC. Rhyme's strategy is the most commonly used. I used it for a while but somehow it dint work for me.
I know one of my other friend who studies with me for GMAT, applies rhyme's strategy well and cracks RC.

What i do is just read the passage whole heartedly, i dont care to take the notes, i trust my memory .. believe me ,my hit rate has been good till now with this strategy.. hope that it will last during the real test also , as i know its more risky than some other strategies mentioned in this forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 08:21
Hi, trahul4
what is this Rhyme's strategy that you are talking about? Can I find it on this site, or can I find it somewhere else? Could you please clarify it a little bit and let me know? Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 10:18
i've tried a lot of diff techniques
the trick that works best for me is to just skim over the passage in a minute
then read the question and try to find the answer

this saves max time and it has increased my accuracy from 70% to 85%
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 15:47
trahul4 wrote:
I have heard a lot of strategies about RC. Rhyme's strategy is the most commonly used. I used it for a while but somehow it dint work for me.
I know one of my other friend who studies with me for GMAT, applies rhyme's strategy well and cracks RC.

What i do is just read the passage whole heartedly, i dont care to take the notes, i trust my memory .. believe me ,my hit rate has been good till now with this strategy.. hope that it will last during the real test also , as i know its more risky than some other strategies mentioned in this forum

I would also like to know Rhyme's strategy. Could you share it with us please?

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

[#permalink] 17 Jul 2007, 15:47