Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-21-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 08:54
Hi Everyone,

I am studying the RC section right now, and I find it difficult, mainly because it's hard to read and understand what the article says within a few minutes. I tried using the Kaplan method, that is to summarize each paragraph in one or two sentences and point forms along with the topic, purpose and scope, but there was a practice question - I think the type is Logical, asking a particular sentences and in the end, the method Kaplan introdcued is no use because it requires you to get into the details almost word by word. F__king crazy... how can I beat this s__t? :cry:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 543 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
sokenyou wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am studying the RC section right now, and I find it difficult, mainly because it's hard to read and understand what the article says within a few minutes. I tried using the Kaplan method, that is to summarize each paragraph in one or two sentences and point forms along with the topic, purpose and scope, but there was a practice question - I think the type is Logical, asking a particular sentences and in the end, the method Kaplan introdcued is no use because it requires you to get into the details almost word by word. F__king crazy... how can I beat this s__t? :cry:

follow below few points that have helped me (and might help you also):
1) dont time you RCs in your starting phase...read slowly and understand the passage thoroughly.
2) read 4-5 articles daily from economist.com and nytimes.
3) build your vocabulary.(make a note of all new words which you encounter.)
4) make a habit of practicing RCs on daily basis.(4-5 atleast).
5) make notes of those points which you feel is difficult to understand(this will reduce as you practice more).
6) analyse each RCs thoroughly after you are done...dont leave after attempting all question..as by doing this you will figure out where you went wrong.
7) practice as much as possible.

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 06:11
Thank you so much for your suggestion :-D .... I can pick up articles in NY times or Economists. In fact, I like reading Bloomberg but never to that level of detail and read it from an analytical (GMAT) point of view or turning it to an exercise/practice kind of thing.

Besides the VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html, is there any other books (specific) ones that I should get? I am using Kaplan and Manhattan, but I only purchase the general ones.

Thanks,
K
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 5

Re: Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 11:33
Expert's post
Those sources for reading are great, but the challenge is to not read analytically into the details. You should be reading complex passages that require you to step back and focus on the big picture -- not on the detailed points.

So when you read, unlike text book school reading, figure out the structure of the passage. Then use that structure to figure out what the author is trying to do from paragraph to paragraph.

If you need a visual demonstration, try the RC Pill Free Preview.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 17:05
Thanks. I did try not to get into the details, but one of the practice questions is a detailed question. It's just not an easy thing to do. Should I stick to working on my strategy or should I just keep practicing.... well, it's good to try both but time is running out. I am writing in September..... :?
Re: Improve scoring of the Reading Comprehension   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2013, 17:05