Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improvement Required

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Improvement Required [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 06:22
Hi Experts,
I started my GMAT prep on May 1st 2011 with the most common dream of getting a 700+ score.I got a 610(QA 48, VA 25) in the Diagnostic
GMAT prep test(01/05/2011) and after a months prepration, which I entirely devoted to the Verbal section, I ended up getting a moderate 650 in MGMAT cat-1 on june 6th ( QA 43,VA 36).I must say that VA 36 was just a coincedence as few of the questions were from OG-12 :) .I am sure that I can improve my Quant section to get a 48-49. I am worried about the Verbal section where I end up having an accuracy of arround 80%, 70% and 45-50% in SC,CR and RC recpectively.I am done with Menhattan SC,CR and Power score CR books and all the OG questions once.Please help me with some tips for quick improvements in verbal (RC in particular) as I am writing GMAT on 22nd July and the goal is still far away.

Thanks,
Gotit
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5092 [0], given: 164

Re: Improvement Required [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 10:17
Expert's post
gotit12345 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I started my GMAT prep on May 1st 2011 with the most common dream of getting a 700+ score.I got a 610(QA 48, VA 25) in the Diagnostic
GMAT prep test(01/05/2011) and after a months prepration, which I entirely devoted to the Verbal section, I ended up getting a moderate 650 in MGMAT cat-1 on june 6th ( QA 43,VA 36).I must say that VA 36 was just a coincedence as few of the questions were from OG-12 :) .I am sure that I can improve my Quant section to get a 48-49. I am worried about the Verbal section where I end up having an accuracy of arround 80%, 70% and 45-50% in SC,CR and RC recpectively.I am done with Menhattan SC,CR and Power score CR books and all the OG questions once.Please help me with some tips for quick improvements in verbal (RC in particular) as I am writing GMAT on 22nd July and the goal is still far away.

Thanks
Gotit

RC is mostly about practice after identifying the strategy that works for you. The first read of the passage should be thorough. Try putting down 2 words from each paragraph to keep you focused and to help you identify the organization of the passage. Once you read it, ensure that you understand the purpose of the passage and the author's stand on the issue at hand. Thereafter, go to the questions. Refer back if you have a doubt somewhere. The 2 main words you jotted down for each paragraph will lead you to the correct place.
That said, you could use a strategy significantly differ from this. Different things work for different people. The point is that once you figure out what works for you, stick with it and practice as much as you can with it. A great source of RC practice questions is the Veritasprep RC book. It has passages from a variety of sources and many of them are above 700 level.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Improvement Required [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 21:20
Thnx allot.
Do I need to purchase this book or its available for free?
I also wanted some help regarding CR improvement. I have done all basic theory reading and questions with explanations.But I still do some silly mistakes while solving CRs maybe because of lack of carefull reading.Please help :)
Re: Improvement Required   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2011, 21:20