Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 05:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving application while in the Military

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, I am an active duty Military Officer currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am looking to do whatever I can to improve my application during my deployment. I have a BA in Political Science, and while I'm studying for the GMAT, I was considering a Graduate Certificate in something Finance related. Would this be worthwhile? How much would it help my application? Thanks.

Jeremy Hamilton
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 20:48
Thank you for your service. I am just another preMBA so I don't know much, but I bet it would be helpful. It may also be helpful to get any foundation classes out of the way as you don't appear to have a business degree. Many schools will expect you to have taken accounting, econ, business law, and beginning marketing. Check with the schools you hope to apply to and see what they would advise. Good luck.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 20:54
I was actually leaning towards taking those basic business classes online instead of getting a full certificate. As my undergrad GPA wasn't so hot, I was hoping this would help my application, along with showing my commitment. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 21:13
Which schools are you interested in?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 21:31
Honestly, just state schools close to home. My wife and I have moved quite a bit in the Army and were both ready to be back home. UNC - Charlotte would be great(where I got my BA), maybe UNC - Chapel Hill or Duke.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving application while in the Military [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
Those are top tier schools. Check out this list:
the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html#p617871. Duke has a mean GMAT of 696 and UNC has mean of 678. I think 700 is very doable if you study hard. Thanks again for your service to us all.

Please give kudos, I only need two more.
Thanks,
Skip
Re: Improving application while in the Military   [#permalink] 21 May 2010, 21:40